Hi all,

I've just installed mailman on a Linux machine with postfix. I'm having the following problems, which may be related, I just can't figure out.

1) I went through all the install steps, created a site mailing list (mailman), and a few other mailing lists (tamara, tests, whatever).
I DO get the notification email from mailman-owner, the lists DO appear in the /usr/local/mailman/lists folder but when I go to the link:
http://www.aishlist.com/mailman/admin/tamara I get "No such list tamara"

2) when I try to create a list via the web interface, I get
Error: You are not authorized to create new mailing lists
, I AM using the list creator password which I created. (besides that I can create a list via the command line
as I've stated above)

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

Thanks a lot,
Tamara

Search Discussions

  • Brad Knowles at Mar 28, 2005 at 4:03 pm

    I DO get the notification email from mailman-owner, the lists DO appear
    in the /usr/local/mailman/lists folder but when I go to the link:
    http://www.aishlist.com/mailman/admin/tamara I get "No such list tamara"
    Hmm. I wonder if maybe this is the "redirect" problem. See
    <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.045.htp>.

    Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755

  • Mark Sapiro at Mar 28, 2005 at 5:32 pm

    Tamara Yoggev wrote:
    1) I went through all the install steps, created a site mailing list (mailman), and a few other mailing lists (tamara, tests, whatever).
    I DO get the notification email from mailman-owner, the lists DO appear in the /usr/local/mailman/lists folder but when I go to the link:
    http://www.aishlist.com/mailman/admin/tamara I get "No such list tamara"

    You now have at least two error tracebacks in your mailman 'error' log
    as a result of my attempts to go to
    http://www.aishlist.com/mailman/admin/tamara and
    http://www.aishlist.com/mailman/admin/

    What do they say?

  • Tamara Yoggev at Mar 28, 2005 at 6:09 pm
    Thanks for the reply,

    I figured that one out, my : scriptalias /pipermail/... and alias
    /mailman/... values in my mailman.conf file, which is included in apaches
    httpd.conf file weren't what they were supposed to be,
    they were pointing to var/mailman/cgi-bin ..or something like that (Is that
    a default value?) instead of
    usr/local/mailman...

    But now I'm having an even stranger problem!

    when I go to http://www.aishlist.com/mailman/create I get the following:

    Bug in Mailman version 2.1.6b4

    We're sorry, we hit a bug!
    Please inform the webmaster for this site of this problem. Printing of
    traceback and other system information has been explicitly inhibited, but
    the webmaster can find this information in the Mailman error logs.

    I tried to find the solution on the web, but couldn't find anything that
    really helped me. I found some answers regarding postfix
    permissions. well, here are the permissions on my .../mailman/data folder:

    [root at aishlist data]# ls -l
    total 56
    -rw-r----- 1 root mailman 41 Mar 28 01:28 adm.pw
    -rw-rw---- 1 mailman mailman 8772 Mar 28 02:06 aliases
    -rw-rw---- 1 mailman mailman 12288 Mar 28 02:06 aliases.db
    -rw-r----- 1 root mailman 41 Mar 28 01:28 creator.pw
    -rw-r--r-- 1 aishlist mailman 10 Mar 22 12:33 last_mailman_version
    -rw-rw---- 1 mailman mailman 6 Mar 28 03:19 master-qrunner.pid
    -rw-r--r-- 1 mailman mailman 14110 Mar 22 12:32 sitelist.cfg

    in main.cf for postfix configuration I've got:
    alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases, hash:/usr/local/mailman/data/aliases

    and BTW, my /usr/local/mailman/logs/error file is empty!

    Any ideas?

    Thanks, I really appreciate your help
    Tamara
    1) I went through all the install steps, created a site mailing list
    (mailman), and a few other mailing lists (tamara, tests, whatever).
    I DO get the notification email from mailman-owner, the lists DO appear in
    the /usr/local/mailman/lists folder but when I go to the link:
    http://www.aishlist.com/mailman/admin/tamara I get "No such list tamara"

    You now have at least two error tracebacks in your mailman 'error' log
    as a result of my attempts to go to
    http://www.aishlist.com/mailman/admin/tamara and
    http://www.aishlist.com/mailman/admin/

    What do they say?

  • Mark Sapiro at Mar 28, 2005 at 6:28 pm

    Tamara Yoggev wrote:
    But now I'm having an even stranger problem!

    when I go to http://www.aishlist.com/mailman/create I get the following:

    Bug in Mailman version 2.1.6b4
    Just guessing without the logs, maybe the wrappers aren't being
    executed by the expected group. Did you use the --with-cgi-gid= option
    when you ran configure? is this group the one that Apache uses to run
    your cgi scripts?

    <snip>
    and BTW, my /usr/local/mailman/logs/error file is empty!
    Are there any non-empty logs in that directory?

    Check Defaults.py and mm_cfg.py for assignment to LOG_DIR to see if it
    might be in other than the default location.

  • Tamara Yoggev at Mar 28, 2005 at 6:54 pm
    According to what I found in httpd.conf
    User apache

    Group apache

    I used:
    --with-cgi-gid=apache (Is there any way I could double check this? I ran the
    configure a while ago, but I'm sure thats what I did)

    <snip>
    Are there any non-empty logs in that directory?
    yes, smtp seems fine. and LOG_DIR is pointing to the right place:
    VAR_PREFIX = '/usr/local/mailman'

    LOG_DIR = os.path.join(VAR_PREFIX, 'logs')

    PLEASE tell me you've got more ideas.

    Thanks,

    Tamara

    But now I'm having an even stranger problem!

    when I go to http://www.aishlist.com/mailman/create I get the following:

    Bug in Mailman version 2.1.6b4
    Just guessing without the logs, maybe the wrappers aren't being
    executed by the expected group. Did you use the --with-cgi-gid= option
    when you ran configure? is this group the one that Apache uses to run
    your cgi scripts?

    <snip>
    and BTW, my /usr/local/mailman/logs/error file is empty!
    Are there any non-empty logs in that directory?

    Check Defaults.py and mm_cfg.py for assignment to LOG_DIR to see if it
    might be in other than the default location.

  • Mark Sapiro at Mar 28, 2005 at 7:22 pm

    Tamara Yoggev wrote:
    According to what I found in httpd.conf
    User apache

    Group apache

    I used:
    --with-cgi-gid=apache (Is there any way I could double check this? I ran the
    configure a while ago, but I'm sure thats what I did)
    It's probably OK. I forgot you started by asking about web create not
    working. If you can get the web create page (or any of the web pages),
    then the wrappers should be OK.

    But I'm confused. You were able to get the create page before you
    changed ScriptAlias, etc so you were getting to wrappers somewhere?

    <snip>
    Are there any non-empty logs in that directory?
    yes, smtp seems fine. and LOG_DIR is pointing to the right place:
    VAR_PREFIX = '/usr/local/mailman'

    LOG_DIR = os.path.join(VAR_PREFIX, 'logs')
    Is the error log group writable?

  • Tamara Yoggev at Mar 28, 2005 at 7:33 pm
    That's right, only after I fixed (in mailman.conf, which is included in
    httpd.conf) the following :
    This is what I originally had with my previous problem "no such list etc."

    ScriptAlias /mailman/ /var/mailman/cgi-bin/

    Alias /pipermail/ /var/mailman/archives/public/

    <Directory /var/mailman/archives>

    Options +FollowSymlinks

    </Directory>

    I changed this to (mailman is installed in: /usr/local/mailman):

    ScriptAlias /mailman/ /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/

    Alias /pipermail/ /usr/local/mailman/archives/public/

    <Directory /usr/local/mailman/archives>

    Options +FollowSymlinks

    </Directory>

    After I made this change, which seemed to be reasonable to me, maybe I'm
    wrong did I see the-

    We're sorry, we hit a bug!
    Tamara
    --with-cgi-gid=apache (Is there any way I could double check this? I ran
    the
    configure a while ago, but I'm sure thats what I did)
    It's probably OK. I forgot you started by asking about web create not
    working. If you can get the web create page (or any of the web pages),
    then the wrappers should be OK.

    But I'm confused. You were able to get the create page before you
    changed ScriptAlias, etc so you were getting to wrappers somewhere?

    <snip>
    Are there any non-empty logs in that directory?
    yes, smtp seems fine. and LOG_DIR is pointing to the right place:
    VAR_PREFIX = '/usr/local/mailman'

    LOG_DIR = os.path.join(VAR_PREFIX, 'logs')
    Is the error log group writable?

  • Mark Sapiro at Mar 28, 2005 at 7:50 pm

    Tamara Yoggev wrote:
    That's right, only after I fixed (in mailman.conf, which is included in
    httpd.conf) the following :
    This is what I originally had with my previous problem "no such list etc."

    ScriptAlias /mailman/ /var/mailman/cgi-bin/

    Alias /pipermail/ /var/mailman/archives/public/

    <Directory /var/mailman/archives>

    Options +FollowSymlinks

    </Directory>

    There must be a set of wrappers in /var/mailman/cgi-bin/ These are
    probably correct.

    Where is the archives/public directory. Is there one in /var/mailman?

    I changed this to (mailman is installed in: /usr/local/mailman):

    ScriptAlias /mailman/ /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/

    Does this directory even exist. Is there a set of wrappers it it?

    Alias /pipermail/ /usr/local/mailman/archives/public/

    <Directory /usr/local/mailman/archives>

    Also does this directory exist?

    Options +FollowSymlinks

    </Directory>

    After I made this change, which seemed to be reasonable to me, maybe I'm
    wrong did I see the-

    We're sorry, we hit a bug!
    Actually, there must be wrappers in /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/ too or
    you wouldn't see the "we hit a bug" message.

    It seems you may have run ./configure and make install more than once
    with different --with-var-prefix values and without running make clean
    in between.

  • Tamara Yoggev at Mar 28, 2005 at 8:02 pm
    All of these folders exist:

    /var/mailman/archives/public/
    /var/mailman/cgi-bin/
    /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/
    /usr/local/mailman/archives/public/
    It seems you may have run ./configure and make install more than once
    with different --with-var-prefix values and without running make clean
    in between.
    Yes, I did do that, I would have thought that I ran make clean in between,
    but there is a definite
    chance I missed it, and just ran make by mistake (Since I ran configure
    several times until I felt I got it right)

    Do you suggest I run configure again and recompile?

    Tamara

[...]

  • Mark Sapiro at Mar 28, 2005 at 8:18 pm

    Tamara Yoggev wrote:
    All of these folders exist:

    /var/mailman/archives/public/
    /var/mailman/cgi-bin/
    /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/
    /usr/local/mailman/archives/public/
    It seems you may have run ./configure and make install more than once
    with different --with-var-prefix values and without running make clean
    in between.
    Yes, I did do that, I would have thought that I ran make clean in between,
    but there is a definite
    chance I missed it, and just ran make by mistake (Since I ran configure
    several times until I felt I got it right)

    Do you suggest I run configure again and recompile?
    That would be the safest. Now, make clean will only remove the last
    installation (which is probably the good one).

    If I were you, I would save my mm_cfg.py changes if any and remove
    /var/mailman/ and /usr/local/mailman/ and the 2.1.6b4 source and
    download beta 5 from http://mm.tkikuchi.net/mailman-2.1.6b5.tgz and
    rerun configure and make install.

    That way, you'll know exactly what you've got.

  • Tamara Yoggev at Mar 28, 2005 at 8:21 pm
    Okay, I'll do that, I'll let you know what happens.
[...]

  • Tamara Yoggev at Mar 29, 2005 at 1:53 pm
    Thanks Mark,
    It works great!

    Tamara
[...]

groupmailman-users @