Is there any way to set up a list so that every message to the list,
whether from members or non-members, has to be approved by the
moderator prior to being sent out to the list? I thought I had this
working with my list but right now when someone sends a message to
the list it just seems to disappear. The admins get no notice that
there is a message waiting for approval, and nothing shows up in the
queue to be approved.

J.R.

Search Discussions

  • Brad Knowles at Mar 28, 2005 at 4:04 pm

    Is there any way to set up a list so that every message to the list,
    whether from members or non-members, has to be approved by the moderator
    prior to being sent out to the list?
    Turn on default moderation when creating the list. You may also
    need to go through and set everyone's moderate bit, if they're
    already subscribed to the list.

    If this isn't working for you, take a look at
    <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.014.htp>.

    Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755

  • Mark Sapiro at Mar 28, 2005 at 4:51 pm

    J.R. Constance wrote:
    I thought I had this
    working with my list but right now when someone sends a message to
    the list it just seems to disappear. The admins get no notice that
    there is a message waiting for approval, and nothing shows up in the
    queue to be approved.

    It seems you may have set member_moderation_action to Discard instead
    of Hold.

  • J.R. Constance at Mar 30, 2005 at 2:40 pm
    I checked this and the member_moderation_action is set to Hold. All
    new subscribers are automatically set to be moderated. When I send a
    test message to the list absolutely nothing happens. Nothing shows up
    in the moderator's queue to be approved, no notifications go out that
    a post is awaiting approval. Nothing.

    The really odd thing is that when I first set this list up it was
    working fine. Subscribers would post to the list, a notification
    would be sent to the admin that there was a post to be approved, etc.
    At some point a month or so ago, it just quit working. I have checked
    and rechecked the settings, but can't find anything.

    J.R.
    working with my list but right now when someone sends a message to
    the list it just seems to disappear. The admins get no notice that
    there is a message waiting for approval, and nothing shows up in the
    queue to be approved.

    It seems you may have set member_moderation_action to Discard instead
    of Hold.

  • Mark Sapiro at Mar 30, 2005 at 4:03 pm

    J.R. Constance wrote:
    The really odd thing is that when I first set this list up it was
    working fine. Subscribers would post to the list, a notification
    would be sent to the admin that there was a post to be approved, etc.
    At some point a month or so ago, it just quit working. I have checked
    and rechecked the settings, but can't find anything.
    Check article 3.14 in the FAQ
    Do you have other lists that are working. If not, your qrunners may
    have stopped.

  • J.R. Constance at Mar 28, 2005 at 4:55 pm
    I'll check those settings. Thanks.

    --
    Mark Sapiro The highway is for gamblers,
  • J.R. Constance at Mar 30, 2005 at 4:24 pm

    Mark Sapiro wrote:J.R. Constance wrote:
    The really odd thing is that when I first set this list up it was
    working fine. Subscribers would post to the list, a notification
    would be sent to the admin that there was a post to be approved, etc.
    At some point a month or so ago, it just quit working. I have checked
    and rechecked the settings, but can't find anything.
    Check article 3.14 in the FAQ
    Do you have other lists that are working. If not, your qrunners may
    have stopped.

    --
    Mark Sapiro The highway is for gamblers,
  • Mark Sapiro at Mar 30, 2005 at 4:36 pm

    J.R. Constance wrote:
    Yes, I have several other lists on this server that are working, but they are not moderated lists. Emails sent to those lists automatically are sent out to all subscribers. This is the only moderated list where emails sent to the list have to be reviewed and approved before going out to the list members.
    You may have already done some or all of this, but I would:

    Check the admindb page to make sure there are no messages there and
    it's not just that the moderator notices that are lost.

    Check the MTA aliases and MTA logs to be sure the messages are actually
    delivered to mailman.

    Check all the Mailman logs

  • J.R. Constance at Mar 30, 2005 at 6:39 pm
    Mark,

    Hmmm. I'm using an installation of Mailman on hosted space at Jumpdomain.com. I did check the admin interface and there are no pending requests for moderators, and nothing in the archives.

    To be honest, I'm not sure I have access to those other files to review. My access through jumpdomain is restricted to files I can see via their control panel. FTP access gets me into the public_html directory, and I don't have telnet access.

    Mark Sapiro wrote:
    J.R. Constance wrote:
    Yes, I have several other lists on this server that are working, but they are not moderated lists. Emails sent to those lists automatically are sent out to all subscribers. This is the only moderated list where emails sent to the list have to be reviewed and approved before going out to the list members.
    You may have already done some or all of this, but I would:

    Check the admindb page to make sure there are no messages there and
    it's not just that the moderator notices that are lost.

    Check the MTA aliases and MTA logs to be sure the messages are actually
    delivered to mailman.

    Check all the Mailman logs

    --
    Mark Sapiro The highway is for gamblers,
  • Mark Sapiro at Mar 31, 2005 at 2:39 am

    J.R. Constance wrote:
    Hmmm. I'm using an installation of Mailman on hosted space at Jumpdomain.com. I did check the admin interface and there are no pending requests for moderators, and nothing in the archives.
    I think you need to get help from Jumpdomain.com. It really looks like
    there is a problem somewhere involving more than just your list
    settings (although you could set up a small, moderated test list and
    see if that works - even if it does though, it doesn't help solve your
    problem).

    You need to be sure posts to the list are getting to Mailman. Do the
    other addresses work? If you e-mail directly to the listname-bounces
    address, do you get an unrecognized bounce. If you e-mail
    listname-owner do the owners/moderators get the message. If you e-mail
    listname-request, do you get a response from mailman? If these things
    don't work, then maybe the MTA aliases for this list are messed up. If
    they do, it still doesn't rule this out for the posting address, but
    it means it's less likely to be an MTA problem.

    Beyond that, you need to be able to see the mailman logs or at least
    get the provider to look at them for you. Otherwise, you'll never
    figure out what's going on.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedMar 28, '05 at 2:36p