I am trying to move my heretofore working mailman installation from one
server (FreeBSD/Sendmail) to another (RedHat/Exim). I can access my
lists at my main url, but I get "Page not found" on the domains I host.
The error log says "premature end of script headers". None of the
lists have colliding names. Mailman is critical to my clients. I have
been through the faq, the archives and the documentation. I've tried
everything I could find that seemed applicable. help! Moving servers is
bad enough without this crap!

Lynn

------
Lynn Siprelle * web developer, writer, mama, fiber junky
http://www.siprelle.com * http://www.thenewhomemaker.com
http://www.democracyfororegon.com * http://www.knitting911.net

Search Discussions

  • Terry Allen at Mar 26, 2005 at 4:04 am

    I am trying to move my heretofore working mailman installation from
    one server (FreeBSD/Sendmail) to another (RedHat/Exim). I can access
    my lists at my main url, but I get "Page not found" on the domains I
    host. The error log says "premature end of script headers". None
    of the lists have colliding names. Mailman is critical to my
    clients. I have been through the faq, the archives and the
    documentation. I've tried everything I could find that seemed
    applicable. help! Moving servers is bad enough without this crap!

    Lynn
    Hi again,
    If the error is 'premature end of script headers', I would
    hazard a guess that the CGI is not being interpreted by the server
    correctly for Mailman, or it is being interpreted as a binary file
    rather than a text file for execution.
    I'd have a look at the mailman installation on the new server
    for cgi execution firstly
    --

    Bye for now, Terry Allen
    hEARd

    Postal Address:
    hEARd, 26B Glenning Rd, Glenning Valley, NSW 2261, Australia
    Internet -
    WWW: http://heard.com.au http://itavservices.com
    EMAIL: hmag at ozemail.com.au
    Phone: Australia - 02 4388 1400 / International - + 61 2 43881400
    Mobile: Australia - 04 28881400 / International - 61 4 28881400
    Non profit promotion for new music - since 1994
  • Lynn Siprelle at Mar 26, 2005 at 4:11 am

[...]

    But why would it work on the main url but not the virtual ones? Here's
    what I mean.

    This works:

    This doesn't:

    Same server, same mailman installation. The first one runs fine, the
    second one throws premature end of script headers.

    Lynn

    ------
    Lynn Siprelle * web developer, writer, mama, fiber junky
    http://www.siprelle.com * http://www.thenewhomemaker.com
    http://www.democracyfororegon.com * http://www.knitting911.net
  • Mark Sapiro at Mar 26, 2005 at 4:29 am

    Lynn Siprelle wrote:
    But why would it work on the main url but not the virtual ones? Here's
    what I mean.

    This works:

    This doesn't:

    Same server, same mailman installation. The first one runs fine, the
    second one throws premature end of script headers.

    What is your web server? What's in the VirtualHost (or whatever)
    section of the web server config for the www.democracyfororegon.com
    domain?

  • Lynn Siprelle at Mar 26, 2005 at 7:39 am

    This works:

    This doesn't:

    Same server, same mailman installation. The first one runs fine, the
    second one throws premature end of script headers.

    What is your web server? What's in the VirtualHost (or whatever)
    section of the web server config for the www.democracyfororegon.com
    domain?
    Apache 1.3.33

    <VirtualHost 208.185.251.142:80>
    ScriptAlias /mailman/ /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/

    ServerName www.democracyfororegon.com
    ServerAlias www.democracyfororegon.com democracyfororegon.com
    ServerAdmin webmaster at democracyfororegon.com
    DocumentRoot /home/admin/domains/democracyfororegon.com/public_html
    ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/
    /home/admin/domains/democracyfororegon.com/public_html/cgi-bin/

    UseCanonicalName OFF

    User admin
    Group admin
    CustomLog /var/log/httpd/domains/democracyfororegon.com.bytes bytes
    CustomLog /var/log/httpd/domains/democracyfororegon.com.log combined
    ErrorLog /var/log/httpd/domains/democracyfororegon.com.error.log

    <Directory /home/admin/domains/democracyfororegon.com/public_html>
    Options +Includes -Indexes
    php_admin_flag engine ON
    php_admin_flag safe_mode OFF
    php_admin_value sendmail_path '/usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i -f
    admin at democracyfororegon.com'
    </Directory>

    #php_admin_value open_basedir
    /home/admin/:/tmp/:/var/www/:/usr/local/lib/php/:/etc/virtual/

    </VirtualHost>

    Thanks.

    Lynn

    ------
    Lynn Siprelle * web developer, writer, mama, fiber junky
    http://www.siprelle.com * http://www.thenewhomemaker.com
    http://www.democracyfororegon.com * http://www.knitting911.net
  • Lynn Siprelle at Mar 26, 2005 at 7:57 am
    I should also have added that I'm using the current beta.
    What is your web server? What's in the VirtualHost (or whatever)
    section of the web server config for the www.democracyfororegon.com
    domain?
    Apache 1.3.33

    <VirtualHost 208.185.251.142:80>
    ScriptAlias /mailman/ /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/

    ServerName www.democracyfororegon.com
    ServerAlias www.democracyfororegon.com democracyfororegon.com

    Searchable Archives:
    Unsubscribe:
    http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/mailman-users/
    lynn%40siprelle.com

    Security Policy:
    http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&amp;
    file=faq01.027.htp
    ------
    Lynn Siprelle * web developer, writer, mama, fiber junky
    http://www.siprelle.com * http://www.thenewhomemaker.com
    http://www.democracyfororegon.com * http://www.knitting911.net
  • Mark Sapiro at Mar 26, 2005 at 5:49 pm

    Lynn Siprelle wrote:
    I should also have added that I'm using the current beta.
    Actually, the current is 2.1.6b5 at
    http://mm.tkikuchi.net/mailman-2.1.6b5.tgz
    What is your web server? What's in the VirtualHost (or whatever)
    section of the web server config for the www.democracyfororegon.com
    domain?
    Apache 1.3.33

    <VirtualHost 208.185.251.142:80>
    ScriptAlias /mailman/ /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/
    <snip>
    User admin
    Group admin
    Is this the group expected by the wrapper?

    <snip>
    </VirtualHost>
  • Lynn Siprelle at Mar 26, 2005 at 6:19 pm

    I should also have added that I'm using the current beta.
    Actually, the current is 2.1.6b5 at
    http://mm.tkikuchi.net/mailman-2.1.6b5.tgz
    Ah, ok.
    User admin
    Group admin
    Is this the group expected by the wrapper?
    To my knowledge. I'll see.

    ------
    Lynn Siprelle * web developer, writer, mama, fiber junky
    http://www.siprelle.com * http://www.thenewhomemaker.com
    http://www.democracyfororegon.com * http://www.knitting911.net
  • Lynn Siprelle at Mar 26, 2005 at 6:21 pm

    User admin
    Group admin
    Is this the group expected by the wrapper?
    This may be it, because turning off my htaccess file didn't do the
    trick.

    Lynn

    ------
    Lynn Siprelle * web developer, writer, mama, fiber junky
    http://www.siprelle.com * http://www.thenewhomemaker.com
    http://www.democracyfororegon.com * http://www.knitting911.net
  • Lynn Siprelle at Mar 26, 2005 at 7:11 pm
    Despair! I can't get it to work. I recompiled making sure that this was
    the group expected by the wrapper and still no dice.
[...]

  • Mark Sapiro at Mar 27, 2005 at 6:03 am

    Lynn Siprelle wrote:
    Despair! I can't get it to work. I recompiled making sure that this was
    the group expected by the wrapper and still no dice.
    I'm out of ideas and down to grasping at straws. I noticed in your post
    of the VirtualHost section of your Apache config, the first
    ScriptAlias was not indented like the rest of the section.

    <VirtualHost 208.185.251.142:80>
    ScriptAlias /mailman/ /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/

    ServerName www.democracyfororegon.com
    ServerAlias www.democracyfororegon.com democracyfororegon.com

    I know it's not Python so indentation shouldn't matter ;-), but I
    wonder if the "ScriptAlias /mailman/ /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/" is
    really on a separate line from "<VirtualHost 208.185.251.142:80>" or
    if there's really just a bunch of white space there that makes it
    "fold" onto the next line when displayed.

  • Lynn Siprelle at Mar 29, 2005 at 1:22 am

    I'm out of ideas and down to grasping at straws.
    Yeah, you and me both. :(
    I noticed in your post
    of the VirtualHost section of your Apache config, the first
    ScriptAlias was not indented like the rest of the section.
    This is an artifact of the DirectAdmin system that my host uses. After
    much digging I found the workaround to avoid this portion of the
    DirectAdmin software, and I will look at this.

    Thanks.
    Lynn

    ------
    Lynn Siprelle * web developer, writer, mama, fiber junky
    http://www.siprelle.com * http://www.thenewhomemaker.com
    http://www.democracyfororegon.com * http://www.knitting911.net
  • Jim Tittsler at Mar 26, 2005 at 11:07 am

    Same server, same mailman installation. The first one runs fine, the
    second one throws premature end of script headers.

    What is your web server? What's in the VirtualHost (or whatever)
    section of the web server config for the www.democracyfororegon.com
    domain?
    It looks like the second is a Drupal site, but the first isn't. Do you
    have an overly aggressive Apache rewrite rule/RewriteBase in the
    .htaccess file for its installation that is affecting Mailman? (If you
    rename .htaccess, does Mailman web access start working?)

    --
    Jim Tittsler http://www.OnJapan.net/ GPG: 0x01159DB6
    Python Starship http://Starship.Python.net/crew/jwt/

    It looks like the second is a Drupal site, but the first isn't. Do
    you have an overly aggressive Apache rewrite rule/RewriteBase in the
    .htaccess file for its installation that is affecting Mailman? (If
    you rename .htaccess, does Mailman web access start working?)
    I don't doubt you, and I will try it, but why would it work on one
    machine and not another, both using Apache?

    Lynn

    ------
    Lynn Siprelle * web developer, writer, mama, fiber junky
    http://www.siprelle.com * http://www.thenewhomemaker.com
    http://www.democracyfororegon.com * http://www.knitting911.net
  • Jim Tittsler at Mar 27, 2005 at 11:41 am

    I don't doubt you, and I will try it, but why would it work on one
    machine and not another, both using Apache?
    Do *any* CGI scripts work on the second machine? (Is mod_cgi
    being loaded/enabled?)

    No clues at all in the Apache error logs?

    --
    Jim Tittsler http://www.OnJapan.net/ GPG: 0x01159DB6
    Python Starship http://Starship.Python.net/crew/jwt/
    Mailman IRC irc://irc.freenode.net/#mailman
  • Lynn Siprelle at Mar 29, 2005 at 1:11 am

    I don't doubt you, and I will try it, but why would it work on one
    machine and not another, both using Apache?
    Do *any* CGI scripts work on the second machine? (Is mod_cgi
    being loaded/enabled?)
    Yes and yes; other cgi scripts work fine. Mailman works fine, just not
    on the virtual servers.
    No clues at all in the Apache error logs?
    Just the ever-charming and informative "premature end of script
    headers."

    Lynn S.

    ------
    Lynn Siprelle * web developer, writer, mama, fiber junky
    http://www.siprelle.com * http://www.thenewhomemaker.com
    http://www.democracyfororegon.com * http://www.knitting911.net

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython