I've got two lists up and running after a new install of Mailman 2.1.5
(RH E 3, Apache 2.0.46, Postfix 2.0.16) but when I went to create a
third list today everything went fine until I sent an email to test the
new list. The message came right back with a "User unknown in local
recipient table" error. I did a search of the
documentation/troubleshooting and this list's archives and tried
changing the local_recipient_maps in main.cf for Postfix. When I did
that I get a database loop for admin error for the new list that again
bounces the message back to me. The other two lists run just fine with
the Postfix variable local_recipient_maps commented out.

The Postfix aliases are the same for all three lists except for the list
name, of course.

By the way, this third list created today was created with Mailman Admin
while the others I did from the command line.

Any ideas on why this is happening or where I might look to see what is
causing this?

Gary
Eastern Iowa Community College

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Mar 23, 2005 at 10:11 pm

    Olson, Gary wrote:
    The Postfix aliases are the same for all three lists except for the list
    name, of course.

    By the way, this third list created today was created with Mailman Admin
    while the others I did from the command line.

    Any ideas on why this is happening or where I might look to see what is
    causing this?
    Perhaps there is a permissions issue that prevented the postalias
    command from updating the aliases.db file with the third list's
    aliases when run from the web interface.

    You could try running postalias manually and see if that fixes the
    problem.

  • Olson, Gary at Mar 23, 2005 at 10:35 pm
    In rereading
    http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq06.009.htp
    <Thanks Dan!>, I checked that data/aliases and data/aliases.db were both
    group writable. Oddly aliases.db was not but the aliases was. When I
    changed that to make it group writable all three lists now work. Odd
    that two lists worked with that setting and the one didn't. Another
    strange aspect is that there were no errors logged for this. The latter
    warrants further investigation.

    Thanks for the help.

    Gary

    The Postfix aliases are the same for all three lists except for the
    list name, of course.

    By the way, this third list created today was created with Mailman
    Admin while the others I did from the command line.

    Any ideas on why this is happening or where I might look to see what is
    causing this?
    Perhaps there is a permissions issue that prevented the postalias
    command from updating the aliases.db file with the third list's aliases
    when run from the web interface.

    You could try running postalias manually and see if that fixes the
    problem.

  • Mark Sapiro at Mar 23, 2005 at 11:41 pm

    Olson, Gary wrote:

    In rereading
    http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq06.009.htp
    <Thanks Dan!>, I checked that data/aliases and data/aliases.db were both
    group writable. Oddly aliases.db was not but the aliases was. When I
    changed that to make it group writable all three lists now work. Odd
    that two lists worked with that setting and the one didn't.

    Not really so odd. If you ran bin/newlist as a user who had permission
    to write aliases.db (root?), everything could have succeeded even
    though newalias might fail when run from the web script.

    Another
    strange aspect is that there were no errors logged for this. The latter
    warrants further investigation.

    True. When Mailman/MTA/Postfix.py runs POSTFIX_ALIAS_CMD, it checks the
    status (returned by os.system()) and logs any error in the 'error'
    log. It's strange that nothing was logged here.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedMar 23, '05 at 9:52p
activeMar 23, '05 at 11:41p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Olson, Gary: 2 posts Mark Sapiro: 2 posts