Hello. I've just converted from mailman 2.0.x to mailman 2.1.x. After
sending the confirmation back to the list-request email address, I
receive this error:

mail: invalid option -- r
Usage: mail [-iInv] [-s subject] [-c cc-addr] [-b bcc-addr] to-addr ...
[- sendmail-options ...]
mail [-iInNv] -f [name]
mail [-iInNv] [-u user]
554 5.3.0 unknown mailer error 1

Also, if I attempt to run the mailman command from the command-line I
receive this:

Group mismatch error. Mailman expected the mail wrapper script to be
executed as one of the following groups:
[mail, postfix, mailman, nobody],
but the system's mail server executed the mail script as group: "root".
Try tweaking the mail server to run the script as one of these groups:
[mail, postfix, mailman, nobody],
or re-run configure providing the command line option:
'--with-mail-gid=root'.

The mailman command is chgrp'd to mailman with the group sticky bit enabled.

Has anyone else experienced this same problem?

Thanks,
--Matt

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Mar 23, 2005 at 9:04 pm

    Matthew A. Marshall wrote:
    Hello. I've just converted from mailman 2.0.x to mailman 2.1.x. After
    sending the confirmation back to the list-request email address, I
    receive this error:

    mail: invalid option -- r
    Usage: mail [-iInv] [-s subject] [-c cc-addr] [-b bcc-addr] to-addr ...
    [- sendmail-options ...]
    mail [-iInNv] -f [name]
    mail [-iInNv] [-u user]
    554 5.3.0 unknown mailer error 1
    What do your aliases look like for the list-request and other
    addresses? Did you change them for 2.1.x?

    They should be something like:

    list: "|/path_to/mailman/mail/mailman post list"
    list-request: "|/path_to/mailman/mail/mailman request list"
    etc.

    Or if you're using Exim, see http://www.exim.org/howto/mailman21.html
    Also, if I attempt to run the mailman command from the command-line I
    receive this:

    Group mismatch error. Mailman expected the mail wrapper script to be
    executed as one of the following groups:
    [mail, postfix, mailman, nobody],
    but the system's mail server executed the mail script as group: "root".
    Try tweaking the mail server to run the script as one of these groups:
    [mail, postfix, mailman, nobody],
    or re-run configure providing the command line option:
    '--with-mail-gid=root'.

    This is the expected response if you don't run the command as the same
    group as your incoming MTA does.

  • John Dennis at Mar 23, 2005 at 9:40 pm

    Hello. I've just converted from mailman 2.0.x to mailman 2.1.x. After
    sending the confirmation back to the list-request email address, I
    receive this error:

    mail: invalid option -- r
    Usage: mail [-iInv] [-s subject] [-c cc-addr] [-b bcc-addr] to-addr ...
    [- sendmail-options ...]
    mail [-iInNv] -f [name]
    mail [-iInNv] [-u user]
    554 5.3.0 unknown mailer error 1
    Who is giving you this error? When you reply in your MUA?
    Also, if I attempt to run the mailman command from the command-line I
    receive this:

    Group mismatch error. Mailman expected the mail wrapper script to be
    executed as one of the following groups:
    [mail, postfix, mailman, nobody],
    but the system's mail server executed the mail script as group: "root".
    Try tweaking the mail server to run the script as one of these groups:
    [mail, postfix, mailman, nobody],
    or re-run configure providing the command line option:
    '--with-mail-gid=root'.

    The mailman command is chgrp'd to mailman with the group sticky bit enabled.
    Thats because "mailman" is a wrapper script meant to be executed by your
    MTA, its not a command line program (e.g. what's in the mailman bin
    directory). Mailman is guarding against anybody else executing what is
    supposed to be a private command only to executed by an MTA. The list
    presented to you in the error is a common list of of uid's that have the
    permission to execute the command. You will need to either logon as one
    of them or su to one of them.

    P.S. I assume the only reason you're attempting to execute the mailman
    command, is for testing purposes, one would never normally do this.
    --
    John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>
  • John Dennis at Mar 23, 2005 at 9:44 pm