Charlie Summers wrote:
Can anyone point me to a "flowchart" of message flow though Mailman?
You could look at Mailman/Queue/IncomingRunner.py, but thus doesn't
really show what I think you want - the part I think you're looking
for is compressed into

joerandom ---> mylist ---> list members

Look in Defaults.py at the definition of GLOBAL_PIPELINE which defines
the flow through the various Mailman/Handlers/ modules.

I'm particularly interested in when the ~/archives/private/<list>.mbox/<list>.mbox file is created, and when posts are written to it. Is it normal for a newly-created list _not_ to have that file created?
Yes, IIRC the directory is created with the list, but the file is not
created until it is needed.

Is it normal for this file _not_ to exist even after a successful posting to the list? Is it normal for the post text to _only_ appear (based on grep -R) within the directury structure at ~/lists/<list>/digest.mbox and nowhere else?
Depending on list archiving and global archiving, maybe. Is archiving
turned on for the list? Is ARCHIVE_TO_MBOX set to 1 or 2? Default is 2
- see definitions in Defaults.py

If these things are all set for archiving to occur and the <list>.mbox
to be written, it's probably a group/permissions issue.

Have you looked at Mailman's 'error' log?

  • Mark Sapiro at Mar 23, 2005 at 6:56 pm

    Charlie Summers wrote:
    Can I assume I have enough of a situation that I should start from the
    beginning and detail the issue? (It almost _has_ to be my fault somewhere,
    but I've replicated this same thing with _four_ clean installs, two from the
    RPM and two from the downloaded source following the "GNU Mailman -
    Installation Manual" item by item. Everything else, web, mail, seems just
    fine; only the archives are consistantly AWOL.)
    I think I have the answer. I tried to look up your original post in the
    Mailman-users archive to see if you'd mentioned your platform because
    I was thinking of an SeLinux issue. Guess what? Neither of your posts
    in this thread are in the archive. The second post which I received by
    direct Cc: contains an

    header. I'm sure if you post to your list without that header, your
    post will be archived.

  • Charlie Summers at Mar 23, 2005 at 8:57 pm

    At 1:56 PM -0500 3/23/05, Mark Sapiro is rumored to have typed:

    I think I have the answer.
    Bloody heck if you don't. I had forgotten all about adding that silly
    header field a while back testing something _else._

    Aside from being embarassed, I _greatly_ appreciate the gentle help!

    Charlie
  • John W. Baxter at Mar 24, 2005 at 1:23 am