Hello,
I read a article you posted on a website about aol and bouncing email due 554 error....could you tell me if you have heard any information on this or what causes the problem

please email me at the following address

amok at datakeep.net

Search Discussions

  • Heather Madrone at Mar 23, 2005 at 3:22 pm

    At 1:51 PM -0600 3/22/05, Terry Smith wrote:
    I read a article you posted on a website about aol and
    bouncing email due 554 error....could you tell me if you have heard
    any information on this or what causes the problem
    Hoo boy, would I like a good answer to this question! I hear that the
    button to report mail as spam is right next to the delete key and that
    AOL encourages people to report unwanted email as spam. So, when
    a person gets tired of receiving mail from a mailing list, they can just
    report it as spam and it goes away.

    This has been happening on and off for some time. There's no good
    way to tell which address is reporting the list as spam (AOL certainly
    won't tell you), so it cannot be easily removed.

    I've finally gotten to the point that I have sent private mail to all AOL
    subscribers letting them know that AOL is refusing delivery of their
    list mail, suggesting that they complain to AOL, and recommending
    that they get a free hotmail, yahoo, or gmail account for their list mail.

    I'm thinking of updating all my list information pages to let AOL users
    know that their ISP refuses delivery of many list postings and that they
    should consider a different service provider.

    Anyway, it's not a Mailman problem; it's an AOL problem.

    --
    Heather Madrone (heather at madrone.com) http://www.madrone.com

    A rolling stone gathers no mass.
  • Brad Knowles at Mar 23, 2005 at 4:27 pm

    I read a article you posted on a website about aol and
    bouncing email due 554 error....could you tell me if you have heard
    any information on this or what causes the problem
    Hoo boy, would I like a good answer to this question! I hear that the
    button to report mail as spam is right next to the delete key and that
    AOL encourages people to report unwanted email as spam. So, when
    a person gets tired of receiving mail from a mailing list, they can just
    report it as spam and it goes away.
    Speaking as the former Sr. Internet Administrator for AOL, I
    don't think that there will ever be a good answer to this question.
    See
    <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.042.htp>
    for some more info.

    Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755

  • Dave Dewey at Mar 23, 2005 at 7:59 pm

    Quoting Heather Madrone (heather at madrone.com):

    This has been happening on and off for some time. There's no good
    way to tell which address is reporting the list as spam (AOL certainly
    won't tell you), so it cannot be easily removed.
    Actually there is. If you use VERP and setup a feedback loop through AOL,
    the complainer's email address is included in the complaint sent back to you
    through the loop.

    dave
  • Martin Dennett at Mar 23, 2005 at 8:18 pm

    Dave Dewey wrote:
    Quoting Heather Madrone (heather at madrone.com):

    This has been happening on and off for some time. There's no good
    way to tell which address is reporting the list as spam (AOL certainly
    won't tell you), so it cannot be easily removed.
    Actually there is. If you use VERP and setup a feedback loop through AOL,
    the complainer's email address is included in the complaint sent back to you
    through the loop.
    Having had a similar problem over the last 48 hours or so, it appears
    that the IP address of my mailing list doesn't have a Reverse DNS, as
    opposed to my web site which does. I just have to contact my mail
    provider to get the issue sorted and AOL will add that IP to their White
    List, and hopefully the issue will be solved.

    Quite why it's taken AOL over a month with a steady flow of traffic to
    realise this is another issue....

    MD
  • Larry Stone at Mar 24, 2005 at 12:16 am