I have a 2.1.5 installation, and one list is using the following
content_filter options:

filter_content = True
filter_mime_types = ''

pass_mime_types = """multipart
text
application/pgp-signature
application/pdf"""

convert_html_to_plaintext = True
filter_action = 1 # reject

We just received a message with a application/octet_stream
attachment. My interpretation of the settings are that the message
should have been rejected. However, the message merely got
filtered, the attachment was stripped, and the message passed
through without an attachment.

Is this a bug or expected behaviour?

--
martin; (greetings from the heart of the sun.)
\____ echo mailto: !#^."<*>"|tr "<*> mailto:" net at madduck

invalid/expired pgp subkeys? use subkeys.pgp.net as keyserver!
spamtraps: madduck.bogus at madduck.net

"sometimes the urge to do bad
is nearly overpowering"
-- ben horne
  • Mark Sapiro at Mar 19, 2005 at 10:01 pm

    martin f krafft wrote:
    I have a 2.1.5 installation, and one list is using the following
    content_filter options:

    filter_content = True
    filter_mime_types = ''

    pass_mime_types = """multipart
    text
    application/pgp-signature
    application/pdf"""

    convert_html_to_plaintext = True
    filter_action = 1 # reject

    We just received a message with a application/octet_stream
    attachment. My interpretation of the settings are that the message
    should have been rejected. However, the message merely got
    filtered, the attachment was stripped, and the message passed
    through without an attachment.

    Is this a bug or expected behaviour?
    This is expected. filter_action is only taken when nothing remains
    after filtering. The following text is on the Details for
    filter_action page.

    One of these actions is take when the message matches one of the
    content filtering rules, meaning, the top-level content type matches
    one of the filter_mime_types, or the top-level content type does not
    match one of the pass_mime_types, or if after filtering the subparts
    of the message, the message ends up empty.

    Note this action is not taken if after filtering the message still
    contains content. In that case the message is always forwarded on to
    the list membership.

  • Martin f krafft at Mar 20, 2005 at 12:31 am

    also sprach Mark Sapiro [2005.03.19.2301 +0100]:
    Note this action is not taken if after filtering the message still
    contains content. In that case the message is always forwarded on to
    the list membership.
    Sorry for not seeing this. Now I wonder if it's possible to somehow
    make Mailman reject posts with unwanted attachment types... is it?
    If so, how?

    spamtraps: madduck.bogus at madduck.net

    the heineken uncertainty principle:
    you can never be sure how many