First off.thank you. Someone always replies to these questions (knock on
wood).so thanks.

I am running mailman 2.1.4 on OS X. We were running into a problem that
sometimes the footer was being seen as an attachment instead of as an actual
footer. I read these lists and found a nice work around was to convert
text/html e-mails to plain text. I did this and now the footer is always
visible.

Recently a user e-mailed me to let me know that none of his e-mails are
getting through to the listserv (prior to my changes his e-mails got
through, he is a member of the list, and it wasn't getting held for
approval.it was being directly discarded). After a while we realized his
e-mails were being discarded because of the Content filtering. Now I set it
to forward me the e-mails instead of discarding. My Content filtering
options are as follows.

-----------------------

Should Mailman filter the content of list traffic. Yes

Remove message attachments that have a. (left blank)

Remove message attachments that don't have a. (currently it is (on separate
lines) multipart, text, message. I have had this on the default, tried
adding "text/html", etc.)

Should Mailman convert. Yes

Action to take. Forward

-----------------------

After playing with the "Remove message attachments that don't." section I
got his e-mails to come through, but now the main body is blank. If he CCs
me, I can see the text in the CC, but the version coming through mailman is
blank except the footer. If he sends a plaintext e-mail it comes through
fine, but shouldn't mailman be converting his html e-mails into plaintext?
Any ideas why it's not converting the html properly? I feel like somehow
the content filtering is taking out the text/html and then trying to
convert.but it doesn't look like it should be.

_______________________

Nate

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Mar 16, 2005 at 8:43 pm

    Nathan K. Stazewski wrote:
    I am running mailman 2.1.4 on OS X. We were running into a problem that
    sometimes the footer was being seen as an attachment instead of as an actual
    footer. I read these lists and found a nice work around was to convert
    text/html e-mails to plain text. I did this and now the footer is always
    visible. <snip>
    After playing with the "Remove message attachments that don't." section I
    got his e-mails to come through, but now the main body is blank. If he CCs
    me, I can see the text in the CC, but the version coming through mailman is
    blank except the footer. If he sends a plaintext e-mail it comes through
    fine, but shouldn't mailman be converting his html e-mails into plaintext?
    Any ideas why it's not converting the html properly? I feel like somehow
    the content filtering is taking out the text/html and then trying to
    convert.but it doesn't look like it should be.
    Check your Mailman error logs for errors involving the conversion.

    The default setting (don't know if this applies to OSX) for the
    conversion command is:

    HTML_TO_PLAIN_TEXT_COMMAND = '/usr/bin/lynx -dump %(filename)s'

    Whatever this command writes to stdout is what you get. This command
    probably isn't working in your environment. If that's the case, you'll
    have to find something that does.

  • Dan Phillips at Mar 16, 2005 at 8:52 pm

    The default setting (don't know if this applies to OSX) for the
    conversion command is:

    HTML_TO_PLAIN_TEXT_COMMAND = '/usr/bin/lynx -dump %(filename)s'

    Whatever this command writes to stdout is what you get. This command
    probably isn't working in your environment. If that's the case, you'll
    have to find something that does.
    My entry (OS X Server 10.2.8, MM 2.1.5 installed from source) is:

    HTML_TO_PLAIN_TEXT_COMMAND = 'LYNX_TEMP_SPACE=/tmp /usr/local/bin/lynx
    -force_html -dump %(filename)s'

    I changed it to that based on a thread on this list a couple years ago.
    I honestly don't remember know what the issue was at the time, but I
    may have had to install lynx from source. OS X 10.3 client doesn't have
    lynx installed, but I don't know about Server 10.3.

    Dan
  • Mark Sapiro at Mar 16, 2005 at 9:54 pm

    Dan Phillips wrote:
    HTML_TO_PLAIN_TEXT_COMMAND = 'LYNX_TEMP_SPACE=/tmp /usr/local/bin/lynx
    -force_html -dump %(filename)s'

    I changed it to that based on a thread on this list a couple years ago.
    I honestly don't remember know what the issue was at the time, but I
    may have had to install lynx from source. OS X 10.3 client doesn't have
    lynx installed, but I don't know about Server 10.3.
    The thread can be found at
    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2003-January/025369.html
    and
    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2003-January/025381.html

    I believe the original issue that required the use of
    LYNX_TEMP_SPACE=/tmp was a Red Hat specific change to lynx. Also, the
    -force_html option also should be unnecessary as the 'filename'
    created by Mailman has a .html extension, but neither of these can
    hurt.

    There is another issue if the HTML passed to lynx is base64 or
    quoted-printable encoded. See thread at
    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2004-July/038022.html

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython