FAQ
Hi everybody!

I'm wanting to use mailman on a postfix-powered machine with virtual
domains. As i found out that "out-of-the-box" mailman does not support
this fine (one only namespace for mailing list names etc) i found this
patch in the FAQ of mailman:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?funcÞtail&aid”3827&group_id3&atid00103

The problem i have with it is that it seems to be for an older version
of mailman. It says something of version 2.1.1. I'm using 2.1.5 so it
will not apply. I tried to patch the file manually reading the patch and
making the changes in the source file, everything installes fine but
when i try to access mailman's "listinfo" cgi with a browser, i get this:

Mar 14 17:45:11 2005 admin(4153):
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
admin(4153): [----- Mailman Version: 2.1.5 -----]
admin(4153): [----- Traceback ------]
admin(4153): Traceback (most recent call last):
admin(4153): File "/home/mailman/scripts/driver", line 94, in run_main
admin(4153): pkg = __import__('Mailman.Cgi', globals(), locals(),
[scriptname])
admin(4153): File "/home/mailman/Mailman/Cgi/listinfo.py", line 27, in ?
admin(4153): from Mailman import MailList
admin(4153): IndentationError: unindent does not match any outer
indentation level (MailList.py, line 449)
admin(4153): [----- Python Information -----]
admin(4153): sys.version = 2.3.4 (#1, Mar 3 2005, 21:56:32)
[GCC 3.3.5 (Gentoo Linux 3.3.5-r1, ssp-3.3.2-3, pie-8.7.7.1)]
admin(4153): sys.executable = /usr/bin/python
admin(4153): sys.prefix = /usr
admin(4153): sys.exec_prefix = /usr
admin(4153): sys.path = /usr
admin(4153): sys.platform = linux2
admin(4153): [----- Environment Variables -----]
admin(4153): SERVER_SOFTWARE: Apache
admin(4153): SCRIPT_NAME: /mailman/listinfo
admin(4153): SERVER_SIGNATURE: <address>Apache Server at
lists.citservice.de Port 80</address>
admin(4153):
admin(4153): REQUEST_METHOD: GET
admin(4153): HTTP_KEEP_ALIVE: 300
admin(4153): SERVER_PROTOCOL: HTTP/1.1
admin(4153): QUERY_STRING:
admin(4153): HTTP_ACCEPT_CHARSET: ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7
admin(4153): HTTP_USER_AGENT: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64;
en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050301 Firefox/1.0.1
admin(4153): HTTP_CONNECTION: keep-alive
admin(4153): SERVER_NAME: lists.citservice.de
admin(4153): REMOTE_ADDR: 213.54.138.86
admin(4153): SERVER_PORT: 80
admin(4153): SERVER_ADDR: 80.190.241.119
admin(4153): DOCUMENT_ROOT: /home/mailman
admin(4153): PYTHONPATH: /home/mailman
admin(4153): SCRIPT_FILENAME: /home/mailman/cgi-bin/listinfo
admin(4153): SERVER_ADMIN: webmaster at citservice.de
admin(4153): HTTP_HOST: lists.citservice.de
admin(4153): HTTP_CACHE_CONTROL: max-age=0
admin(4153): REQUEST_URI: /mailman/listinfo
admin(4153): HTTP_ACCEPT:
text/xml,application/xml,application/xhtml+xml,text/html;q=0.9,text/plain;q=0.8,image/png,*/*;q=0.5
admin(4153): GATEWAY_INTERFACE: CGI/1.1
admin(4153): REMOTE_PORT: 55268
admin(4153): HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE: de-de,en-us;q=0.7,en;q=0.3
admin(4153): HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING: gzip,deflate


Is there a working and maybe something tested patch for version 2.1.5
already? Or another fine solution to make real virtual hosting?

Thank you all in advance!

Christian Anton

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Mar 14, 2005 at 5:36 pm

    Christian Anton wrote:
    I'm wanting to use mailman on a postfix-powered machine with virtual
    domains. As i found out that "out-of-the-box" mailman does not support
    this fine (one only namespace for mailing list names etc) i found this
    patch in the FAQ of mailman:
    http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?funcÞtail&aid”3827&group_id3&atid00103

    The problem i have with it is that it seems to be for an older version
    of mailman. It says something of version 2.1.1. I'm using 2.1.5 so it
    will not apply. I tried to patch the file manually reading the patch and
    making the changes in the source file, everything installes fine but
    when i try to access mailman's "listinfo" cgi with a browser, i get this:

    Mar 14 17:45:11 2005 admin(4153):
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
    admin(4153): [----- Mailman Version: 2.1.5 -----]
    admin(4153): [----- Traceback ------]
    admin(4153): Traceback (most recent call last):
    admin(4153): File "/home/mailman/scripts/driver", line 94, in run_main
    admin(4153): pkg = __import__('Mailman.Cgi', globals(), locals(),
    [scriptname])
    admin(4153): File "/home/mailman/Mailman/Cgi/listinfo.py", line 27, in ?
    admin(4153): from Mailman import MailList
    admin(4153): IndentationError: unindent does not match any outer
    indentation level (MailList.py, line 449)
    <snip>

    Indentation is critical in Python. You have not properly matched
    indentation between the patch and the base in MailList.py. It is
    safest to indent with spaces only. Mixing spaces and tabs in one file
    causes problems.

    --
    Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> The highway is for gamblers,
    San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan
  • Anne Shroeder - Internet Society at Mar 14, 2005 at 6:16 pm
    My boss just asked me why messages sent via cc to a list end up in the
    pending queue. My assumption is that it is to prevent spam, but is
    there any way to turn this feature off? (Note: I do not think it is a
    good idea to turn it off, but am being *requested* to do it<G>).

    Anne
  • Mark Sapiro at Mar 14, 2005 at 8:39 pm

    Anne Shroeder - Internet Society wrote:
    My boss just asked me why messages sent via cc to a list end up in the
    pending queue. My assumption is that it is to prevent spam, but is
    there any way to turn this feature off? (Note: I do not think it is a
    good idea to turn it off, but am being *requested* to do it<G>).
    Do you really mean via Cc:, or do you mean via Bcc:? Messages sent to a
    list via Bcc: are generally held (depending on settings) for "implicit
    destination". There should be no difference between a post with the
    list address in Cc: vs. To: "everything else being equal".

    Every message that is held has a reason associated with it which is
    reported in the admindb interface and in the notice to the list owner.
    What is the reason in these cases?

    If the messages are being held for implicit destination, see the admin
    pages Privacy options...->Recipient
    filters->require_explicit_destination. Also look at max_num_recipients
    on the same page in case the real reason is "too many recipients".

    --
    Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> The highway is for gamblers,
    San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan
  • Christian Anton at Mar 15, 2005 at 5:04 pm
    Thank you for your respond Mark, i'm attaching your Mail here 'cause you
    sent it to me personally.

    I will try to take more care about the indentation when patchin the
    sourcecode again and tell you if it worked or not.

    greets

    Christian


    Mark Sapiro wrote:



    Indentation is critical in Python. You have not properly matched
    indentation between the patch and the base in MailList.py. It is
    safest to indent with spaces only. Mixing spaces and tabs in one file
    causes problems.

    --
    Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> The highway is for gamblers,
    San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan
  • Christian Anton at Mar 16, 2005 at 8:40 pm

    Indentation is critical in Python. You have not properly matched
    indentation between the patch and the base in MailList.py. It is
    safest to indent with spaces only. Mixing spaces and tabs in one file
    causes problems.

    --
    Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> The highway is for gamblers,
    San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan
    Hi again,

    i got it installing finally, applying the patch line after line manually
    in editor. It installes everything fine, but now when i want to create a
    list "mailman" i get the following error:

    ipx10995 mailman # ./bin/newlist
    Name der Mailingliste: mailman
    e-Mailadresse des Listenverwalters: mail at christiananton.de
    Erstmaliges Passwort f?r die Liste mailman:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "./bin/newlist", line 219, in ?
    main()
    File "./bin/newlist", line 160, in main
    mlist.Create(listname, owner_mail, pw)
    File "/home/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 455, in Create
    postingaddr = '%s@%s' % (firstname, domain)
    UnboundLocalError: local variable 'firstname' referenced before assignment

    Over the UI i can't create a List either. I have the following in my
    mm_cfg.py:

    ##################################################
    # Put YOUR site-specific settings below this line.

    DELIVERY_MODULE = 'SMTPDirect'
    SMTPHOST = 'localhost'
    SMTPPORT = 10025
    SMTP_MAX_RCPTS = 1000
    MTA = 'Postfix'

    DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'gentix.de'
    DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'lists.gentix.de'
    DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'http://%s/mailman/'

    DEFAULT_SERVER_LANGUAGE = 'de'
    IMAGE_LOGOS = '/mailmanicons/'

    POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['lists.citservice.de']

    I configured a virtual host http://lists.citservice.de and i can access
    the cgi's of mailman under the URL http://lists.citservice.de/mailman/.
    When I access http://lists.citservice.de/mailman/create and want to
    create a new list 'testlist' i get an error: Error: Unknown virtual
    host: lists.citservice.de. What am i doing wrong?


    Greets

    Christian
    *////*
  • Mark Sapiro at Mar 18, 2005 at 5:55 am

    Christian Anton wrote:
    i got it installing finally, applying the patch line after line manually
    in editor. It installes everything fine, but now when i want to create a
    list "mailman" i get the following error:

    ipx10995 mailman # ./bin/newlist
    Name der Mailingliste: mailman
    e-Mailadresse des Listenverwalters: mail at christiananton.de
    Erstmaliges Passwort f?r die Liste mailman:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "./bin/newlist", line 219, in ?
    main()
    File "./bin/newlist", line 160, in main
    mlist.Create(listname, owner_mail, pw)
    File "/home/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 455, in Create
    postingaddr = '%s@%s' % (firstname, domain)
    UnboundLocalError: local variable 'firstname' referenced before assignment
    The error occurs in a patched line indicating a problem with the patch.
    The submitter of the patch has made some recent changes (yesterday). I
    suggest you go back to
    http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?funcÞtail&aid”3827&group_id3&atid00103
    and follow the link in the recent comment to the latest 2.1.4 patch
    and use that as a starting point.
    Over the UI i can't create a List either. I have the following in my
    mm_cfg.py:

    ##################################################
    # Put YOUR site-specific settings below this line.

    DELIVERY_MODULE = 'SMTPDirect'
    SMTPHOST = 'localhost'
    SMTPPORT = 10025
    SMTP_MAX_RCPTS = 1000
    MTA = 'Postfix'

    DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'gentix.de'
    DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'lists.gentix.de'
    DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'http://%s/mailman/'

    DEFAULT_SERVER_LANGUAGE = 'de'
    IMAGE_LOGOS = '/mailmanicons/'

    POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['lists.citservice.de']

    I configured a virtual host http://lists.citservice.de and i can access
    the cgi's of mailman under the URL http://lists.citservice.de/mailman/.
    When I access http://lists.citservice.de/mailman/create and want to
    create a new list 'testlist' i get an error: Error: Unknown virtual
    host: lists.citservice.de. What am i doing wrong?
    DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'http://%s/mailman/'

    is not needed in mm_cfg.py because it doesn't change the default from
    Defaults.py. However, you need all of the following in mm_cfg.py after
    the DEFAULT_URL_HOST line.

    VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()
    add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST)
    add_virtualhost('lists.citservice.de', 'citservice.de')

    assuming that citservice.de is the correct e-mail host to go with
    lists.citservice.de. Also, the POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS should be
    ['citservice.de'] unless the e-mail host really is
    'lists.citservice.de' in which case the second add_virtualhost()
    should be

    add_virtualhost('lists.citservice.de', 'lists.citservice.de')

    --
    Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> The highway is for gamblers,
    San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan
  • Christian Anton at Mar 18, 2005 at 2:40 pm

    Mark Sapiro wrote:

    Over the UI i can't create a List either. I have the following in my
    mm_cfg.py:

    ##################################################
    # Put YOUR site-specific settings below this line.

    DELIVERY_MODULE = 'SMTPDirect'
    SMTPHOST = 'localhost'
    SMTPPORT = 10025
    SMTP_MAX_RCPTS = 1000
    MTA = 'Postfix'

    DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'gentix.de'
    DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'lists.gentix.de'
    DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'http://%s/mailman/'

    DEFAULT_SERVER_LANGUAGE = 'de'
    IMAGE_LOGOS = '/mailmanicons/'

    POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['lists.citservice.de']

    I configured a virtual host http://lists.citservice.de and i can access
    the cgi's of mailman under the URL http://lists.citservice.de/mailman/.
    When I access http://lists.citservice.de/mailman/create and want to
    create a new list 'testlist' i get an error: Error: Unknown virtual
    host: lists.citservice.de. What am i doing wrong?
    DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'http://%s/mailman/'

    is not needed in mm_cfg.py because it doesn't change the default from
    Defaults.py. However, you need all of the following in mm_cfg.py after
    the DEFAULT_URL_HOST line.

    VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()
    add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST)
    add_virtualhost('lists.citservice.de', 'citservice.de')

    assuming that citservice.de is the correct e-mail host to go with
    lists.citservice.de. Also, the POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS should be
    ['citservice.de'] unless the e-mail host really is
    'lists.citservice.de' in which case the second add_virtualhost()
    should be

    add_virtualhost('lists.citservice.de', 'lists.citservice.de')

    --
    Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> The highway is for gamblers,
    San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan


    I updated my config as follows:

    DELIVERY_MODULE = 'SMTPDirect'
    SMTPHOST = 'localhost'
    SMTPPORT = 10025
    SMTP_MAX_RCPTS = 1000
    MTA = 'Postfix'

    DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'gentix.de'
    DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'lists.gentix.de'

    VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()
    add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST)
    add_virtualhost('lists.citservice.de', 'lists.citservice.de')

    DEFAULT_SERVER_LANGUAGE = 'de'
    IMAGE_LOGOS = '/mailmanicons/'

    POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['lists.citservice.de']

    I really want to use 'lists.citservice.de' as email host. Adding a new
    list with the shell command
    'newlist liste2 at lists.citservice.de' creates a new list, very fine. I
    get the message from mailman that my new list is created. But the
    automatically created virtual_mailman file is wrong format:

    liste2-lists.citservice.de at lists.citservice.de
    liste2-lists.citservice.de
    liste2-lists.citservice.de-admin at lists.citservice.de
    liste2-lists.citservice.de-admin
    liste2-lists.citservice.de-bounces at lists.citservice.de
    liste2-lists.citservice.de-bounces
    liste2-lists.citservice.de-confirm at lists.citservice.de
    liste2-lists.citservice.de-confirm
    liste2-lists.citservice.de-join at lists.citservice.de
    liste2-lists.citservice.de-join
    liste2-lists.citservice.de-leave at lists.citservice.de
    liste2-lists.citservice.de-leave
    liste2-lists.citservice.de-owner at lists.citservice.de
    liste2-lists.citservice.de-owner
    liste2-lists.citservice.de-request at lists.citservice.de
    liste2-lists.citservice.de-request
    liste2-lists.citservice.de-subscribe at lists.citservice.de
    liste2-lists.citservice.de-subscribe
    liste2-lists.citservice.de-unsubscribe at lists.citservice.de
    liste2-lists.citservice.de-unsubscribe

    when it would have to be
    liste2 at lists.citservice.de liste2-lists.citservice.de
    liste2-admin at lists.citservice.de liste2-lists.citservice.de-admin

    Can you tell me what i didn't understand?

    Thank you very much


    Christian
  • Mark Sapiro at Mar 18, 2005 at 4:13 pm

    Christian Anton wrote:
    Adding a new
    list with the shell command
    'newlist liste2 at lists.citservice.de' creates a new list, very fine. I
    get the message from mailman that my new list is created. But the
    automatically created virtual_mailman file is wrong format:

    liste2-lists.citservice.de at lists.citservice.de
    liste2-lists.citservice.de
    liste2-lists.citservice.de-admin at lists.citservice.de
    liste2-lists.citservice.de-admin
    liste2-lists.citservice.de-bounces at lists.citservice.de
    liste2-lists.citservice.de-bounces
    liste2-lists.citservice.de-confirm at lists.citservice.de
    liste2-lists.citservice.de-confirm
    liste2-lists.citservice.de-join at lists.citservice.de
    liste2-lists.citservice.de-join
    liste2-lists.citservice.de-leave at lists.citservice.de
    liste2-lists.citservice.de-leave
    liste2-lists.citservice.de-owner at lists.citservice.de
    liste2-lists.citservice.de-owner
    liste2-lists.citservice.de-request at lists.citservice.de
    liste2-lists.citservice.de-request
    liste2-lists.citservice.de-subscribe at lists.citservice.de
    liste2-lists.citservice.de-subscribe
    liste2-lists.citservice.de-unsubscribe at lists.citservice.de
    liste2-lists.citservice.de-unsubscribe

    when it would have to be
    liste2 at lists.citservice.de liste2-lists.citservice.de
    liste2-admin at lists.citservice.de liste2-lists.citservice.de-admin

    Can you tell me what i didn't understand?
    Standard unpatched Mailman supports virtual hosts but with the
    restriction that two lists on two different hosts cannot have the same
    name.

    The patch you installed attempts to overcome this restriction by
    appending the domain name to the list name in order to create a unique
    name for all lists.

    It does look like there is an issue with the generated aliases created
    when this patch is used. This issue would have to be discussed with
    the originator of the patch.

    Note that if you are willing to accept the "unique naming" restriction,
    you can use Mailman in a virtual hosting environment without patching.

    --
    Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> The highway is for gamblers,
    San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan
  • Christian Anton at Mar 18, 2005 at 2:42 pm

    Mark Sapiro wrote:
    Christian Anton wrote:

    i got it installing finally, applying the patch line after line manually
    in editor. It installes everything fine, but now when i want to create a
    list "mailman" i get the following error:

    ipx10995 mailman # ./bin/newlist
    Name der Mailingliste: mailman
    e-Mailadresse des Listenverwalters: mail at christiananton.de
    Erstmaliges Passwort f?r die Liste mailman:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "./bin/newlist", line 219, in ?
    main()
    File "./bin/newlist", line 160, in main
    mlist.Create(listname, owner_mail, pw)
    File "/home/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 455, in Create
    postingaddr = '%s@%s' % (firstname, domain)
    UnboundLocalError: local variable 'firstname' referenced before assignment
    The error occurs in a patched line indicating a problem with the patch.
    The submitter of the patch has made some recent changes (yesterday). I
    suggest you go back to
    http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?funcÞtail&aid”3827&group_id3&atid00103
    and follow the link in the recent comment to the latest 2.1.4 patch
    and use that as a starting point.

    this part is working fine now. I got the new patch, the patch's author
    sent it to me.

    Thank you!

    Christian

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedMar 14, '05 at 4:54p
activeMar 18, '05 at 4:13p
posts10
users3
websitelist.org

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase