Hello

I installed Mailman and I tried to follow step 4 Final system set-up,
but I don't understand what I am supposed to do. There are the things I did:

1) I added ScriptAlias /mailman/ /home/tak/mailman/cgi-bin/ to
/etc/apache/httpd.conf
2) I copied /home/tak/mailman/icons/*.{jpg,png} to /var/www/icons
3) I added IMAGE_LOGOS='/images/' to /home/tak/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py
4) I added Alias /pipermail/ /home/tak/mailman/archives/public/ to
/etc/apache/httpd.conf
5) I added <Directory
"/home/tak/mailman/archives/public/">AddDefaultCharset Off </Directory>
to /etc/httpd.conf
6) I ran apachectl restart
7) I tried to go to http://www.thorie.com/mailman but I got a 404 error
8) I tried to go to http://www.thorie.com/Mailman but I got a 404 error

Anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong? Why doesn't the
documentation (INSTALL file) not talk about how I'm supposed to access
the website after following all of these steps?

Thanks!
Tim

Search Discussions

  • Timothy Horie at Mar 11, 2005 at 6:07 pm
    I tried http://www.thorie.com/mailman/
    (with the extra slash at the end)
    And instead of a 404 error, I got a 403 forbidden error.

    The permissions on my /home/tak/mailman/cgi-bin are:
    drwxrwsr-x 2 tak mailman 4096 Mar 11 08:32 cgi-bin

    Do I need to change that to www-data that apache runs as?
    I didn't specify a --with-cgi-gid=??? when I did a ./configure
    Should I set this to something in particular?
  • Timothy Horie at Mar 11, 2005 at 6:53 pm
    I tried http://www.thorie.com/mailman/admin
    And got a 404 error
    I think that for some reason, apache or the cgi user id isn't able to
    access /home/tak/mailman/cgi-bin
    Do I need to change the permissions for /home/tak or /home/mailman?
    I vaguely remember a problem I had before where apache wouldn't let me
    have aliases to any location outside of /var/www because of security
    reasons. I don't really remember what that was about.

    Any of you guys use Apache know?

    Timothy Horie wrote:
    I tried http://www.thorie.com/mailman/
    (with the extra slash at the end)
    And instead of a 404 error, I got a 403 forbidden error.

    The permissions on my /home/tak/mailman/cgi-bin are:
    drwxrwsr-x 2 tak mailman 4096 Mar 11 08:32 cgi-bin

    Do I need to change that to www-data that apache runs as?
    I didn't specify a --with-cgi-gid=??? when I did a ./configure
    Should I set this to something in particular?

    Searchable Archives:
    Unsubscribe:
    http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/mailman-users/tak%40thorie.com

    Security Policy:
  • Mark Sapiro at Mar 11, 2005 at 7:01 pm

    Timothy Horie wrote:
    I tried http://www.thorie.com/mailman/admin
    And got a 404 error
    I think that for some reason, apache or the cgi user id isn't able to
    access /home/tak/mailman/cgi-bin
    Do I need to change the permissions for /home/tak or /home/mailman?
    /home/mailman? do you mean /home/tak/mailman?

    bin/check_perms should tell you if you have permission issues. The only
    other thing is the whether the group that Apache runs as is the one
    expected by the wrappers. Per your previous post, this seemed OK.

    What does the Apache log say about these errors?

  • Timothy Horie at Mar 11, 2005 at 7:17 pm

    Mark Sapiro wrote:
    What does the Apache log say about these errors?

    I see the bug. Forgot a trailing slash after cgi-bin. It works now. Thanks!
  • Mark Sapiro at Mar 11, 2005 at 6:54 pm

    Timothy Horie wrote:
    I tried http://www.thorie.com/mailman/
    (with the extra slash at the end)
    And instead of a 404 error, I got a 403 forbidden error.

    The permissions on my /home/tak/mailman/cgi-bin are:
    drwxrwsr-x 2 tak mailman 4096 Mar 11 08:32 cgi-bin

    Do I need to change that to www-data that apache runs as? No.
    I didn't specify a --with-cgi-gid=??? when I did a ./configure
    Should I set this to something in particular?
    You shouldn't have to. The default accepted groups are 'www',
    'www-data' and 'nobody'.

    You probably need

    in your Apache config.

    http://www.thorie.com/mailman/admin, etc. If so, the above
    RedirectMatch should fix things.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedMar 11, '05 at 5:38p
activeMar 11, '05 at 7:17p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Timothy Horie: 4 posts Mark Sapiro: 2 posts