MailMan Users list.

Here is what seems to be to be a limitation of MailMain, I am writing
to this list to confirm the limitation as I understand it.

I want to have a moderated announce-only list where list members cannot
post to the list. I have done this by making all of my users moderated.
In Privacy options > Sender Filters, I can set members' messages to be
Accepted, Held, Rejected, or Discarded.

What I want are the messages to be Discarded, but ALSO forwarded to the
mailing list owner. It seems that this is impossible with MailMan,
please confirm if this is your understanding as well.

I was trying to configure it this way because I wanted users to be able
to hit 'Reply' and send an unsubscribe request and have their message
be intercepted by the MailMan software (it says it can "intercept
message that look like admin requests"), perform the necessary
unsubscribe, OR if the message does not appear to be an admin request,
forward it to the list owner.

If I set the Reply-To of the to be the list owner always (or an
explicit address in General Options), then when a user hits 'reply' and
types a command it goes to that list owner's email address, by passing
the list altogether.

Please let me know if there is any way I can do what I am trying to do
with Mail Man. What I am concluding from this experience is the
MailMan is basically programmed only to let you unsubscribe in two
ways:

1) using the unsubscribe email address provided in the List Headers
2) using the URL provided in the user's General List Info page

It is not programmed to intercept messages and check them to see if
they are requests and forward them if they are not. Is that conclusion
correct?

Thanks for your help.

Jason FB

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Mar 11, 2005 at 6:27 am

    lists at datatravels.com wrote:
    Here is what seems to be to be a limitation of MailMain, I am writing
    to this list to confirm the limitation as I understand it.

    I want to have a moderated announce-only list where list members cannot
    post to the list. I have done this by making all of my users moderated.
    In Privacy options > Sender Filters, I can set members' messages to be
    Accepted, Held, Rejected, or Discarded.
    Well, you can't actually set member_moderation_action to Accept because
    it is logically inconsistent with moderation in the first place, but
    other than that, you are correct.
    What I want are the messages to be Discarded, but ALSO forwarded to the
    mailing list owner. It seems that this is impossible with MailMan,
    please confirm if this is your understanding as well.
    Yes, that is correct.
    I was trying to configure it this way because I wanted users to be able
    to hit 'Reply' and send an unsubscribe request and have their message
    be intercepted by the MailMan software (it says it can "intercept
    message that look like admin requests"), perform the necessary
    unsubscribe, OR if the message does not appear to be an admin request,
    forward it to the list owner.
    Administrivia doesn't work this way anyway, The description is

    Administrivia tests will check postings to see whether it's really
    meant as an administrative request (like subscribe, unsubscribe, etc),
    and will add it to the the administrative requests queue, notifying
    the administrator of the new request, in the process.

    This could be more clear, but what happens is the same thing as "Hold".
    I.e. if administrivia is yes, a post that appears to be an
    administrative request is held for administrator action. It is not
    automatically acted on.
    If I set the Reply-To of the to be the list owner always (or an
    explicit address in General Options), then when a user hits 'reply' and
    types a command it goes to that list owner's email address, by passing
    the list altogether.

    Please let me know if there is any way I can do what I am trying to do
    with Mail Man. What I am concluding from this experience is the
    MailMan is basically programmed only to let you unsubscribe in two
    ways:

    1) using the unsubscribe email address provided in the List Headers
    2) using the URL provided in the user's General List Info page

    It is not programmed to intercept messages and check them to see if
    they are requests and forward them if they are not. Is that conclusion
    correct?
    More or less. If you haven't seen
    http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.011.htp
    check it out. It has some ideas for dealing with unsubscribes on an
    announce-only list, but without hacking code, you can't have a message
    to the list be discarded except if it looks like an unsub request and
    have it automatically result in an unsub in that case.

    You could come close to what you want by setting administrivia to Yes
    and setting member_moderation_action to Discard and setting a pipeline
    attribute for the list which is the same as the default
    GLOBAL_PIPELINE except put 'Hold' before 'Moderate'. Since Hold
    processes administrivia, this should result in an administrivia
    message being held and if it's not administrivia, it will pass on to
    moderate and be discarded. An administrator would still have to
    manually unsubscribe the user, but it seems close.

  • John W. Baxter at Mar 11, 2005 at 4:20 pm

    Here is what seems to be to be a limitation of MailMain, I am writing
    to this list to confirm the limitation as I understand it.

    I want to have a moderated announce-only list where list members cannot
    post to the list. I have done this by making all of my users moderated.
    In Privacy options > Sender Filters, I can set members' messages to be
    Accepted, Held, Rejected, or Discarded.
    Well, you can't actually set member_moderation_action to Accept because
    it is logically inconsistent with moderation in the first place, but
    other than that, you are correct.
    What I want are the messages to be Discarded, but ALSO forwarded to the
    mailing list owner. It seems that this is impossible with MailMan,
    please confirm if this is your understanding as well.
    Yes, that is correct.

    ...[good material omitted]
    And if you have control of the MTA configuration, you can tell the MTA to
    send copies of messages to this particular list to the desired
    administrator. The administrator could if desired then run a filter in
    his/her mail flow which tries to show him/her only things that look like
    "unsubscribe" requests if addressed to the list. I say try because some
    such requests will be worded more interestingly than "unsubscribe".

    How to do that depends on the MTA and on how it's configured to deal with
    Mailman lists.

    --John

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython