We have a list that appears to be filtered by recipients at verizon.
Specifically, they can post but never receive and are ultimately
unsubscribed due to bounces. mailman logs look otherwise normal.
The theory is that the line:

Sender:LISTNAME-bounces at ourdomain.com

triggers filtering by verizon which sounds bogus to me. More likely, it's
the users MUA as defined in
http://www.washington.edu/computing/mailman/faqs/mailman.header.html

Haven't had a chance yet to talk to one of these people and get more
details and try to talk directly to port 25 and add that line. If
that is the case, I'm tempted to modify the bounces alias for that
list altho that seems a harsh way to fix things.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Is the above header configurable?
Can it be turned off somehow?

Thanks

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- generated by /dev/dave -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
David Stern University of Maryland
Institute for Advanced Computer Studies

Search Discussions

  • Sythos at Mar 7, 2005 at 1:36 pm

    Has anyone else had a similar problem? Is the above header configurable?
    Can it be turned off somehow?
    Do you have a VERP capable MTA? Every email have a different SENDER...

    Regards
    Sythos

    --

    Sythos - http://www.sythos.net
    () ASCII Ribbon Campaign - against html/rtf/vCard in mail

    Sender:LISTNAME-bounces at ourdomain.com

    triggers filtering by verizon which sounds bogus to me. More likely, it's
    the users MUA as defined in
    http://www.washington.edu/computing/mailman/faqs/mailman.header.html
    I don't think it's the MUA. MUA filters don't usually result in bounces.

    The users could try "whitelisting" LISTNAME-bounces at ourdomain.com if
    verizon offers such an option. If it is the MUA, adding the address to
    the MUA's address book may help.

    Can the users receive other (non-list) mail from ourdomain.com?

  • Dave at Mar 7, 2005 at 6:41 pm

    Sender:LISTNAME-bounces at ourdomain.com

    triggers filtering by verizon which sounds bogus to me. More likely, it's
    the users MUA as defined in
    http://www.washington.edu/computing/mailman/faqs/mailman.header.html
    I don't think it's the MUA. MUA filters don't usually result in bounces.
    Probably correct as this is happening exclusive and to all verizon people
    on a bunch of our lists

    The users could try "whitelisting" LISTNAME-bounces at ourdomain.com if
    verizon offers such an option. If it is the MUA, adding the address to
    the MUA's address book may help.

    Can the users receive other (non-list) mail from ourdomain.com?
    Yes, indicating some MM header is the problem but I have no other
    info and I can't get anything useful out of telnetting to port 25
    and writing raw smtp commands so I'm gonna punt. It's gotta be the
    remote end of which I have no control so I sent the problem description
    to postmaster at sucky.verizon.net as well as the DNS email for verizon's SOA.

    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- generated by /dev/dave -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    David Stern University of Maryland
    Institute for Advanced Computer Studies
  • Larry Rosenman at Mar 7, 2005 at 7:11 pm

    Yes, indicating some MM header is the problem but I have no other
    info and I can't get anything useful out of telnetting to port 25
    and writing raw smtp commands so I'm gonna punt. It's gotta be the
    remote end of which I have no control so I sent the problem description
    to postmaster at sucky.verizon.net as well as the DNS email for verizon's SOA.
    Verizon has a known busted callout mechanism.

    I had to:
    1) turn off SMTP sync for them
    2) turn down the IDENT (port 113) timeout from 30secs.

    see the threads on:
    exim-users
    spam-l

    and my blog:
    http://blog.lerctr.org/

    LER

    --
    Larry Rosenman http://www.lerctr.org/~ler
    Phone: +1 214-351-4152 E-Mail: ler at lerctr.org
    US Mail: 3535 Gaspar Drive, Dallas, TX 75220-3611

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedMar 7, '05 at 1:18p
activeMar 7, '05 at 7:11p