Well, it let me create the list and I could use bin/withlist commands on it
by enclosing listname in single quotes. Everything looked fine, but when I
tried my first post to the list, I got this back:

The Postfix program

<S&L@<domain>.org>: Command died with status 127:
"/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post s&l". Command output: sh: line 1: l:
command not found post script, list not found: s

So is ampersand in listname just not allowed? - John

  • Larry Stone at Mar 6, 2005 at 1:28 pm

    Well, it let me create the list and I could use bin/withlist commands on it
    by enclosing listname in single quotes. Everything looked fine, but when I
    tried my first post to the list, I got this back:

    The Postfix program

    <S&L@<domain>.org>: Command died with status 127:
    "/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post s&l". Command output: sh: line 1: l:
    command not found post script, list not found: s

    So is ampersand in listname just not allowed? - John
    I'd stay away from an ampersand. It has a special meaning in Unix commands
    (means execute the previous command in the background) and unless properly
    escaped, will be taken for that special meaning every time it occurs in a
    shell command.

    The command in that error message (/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post s&l)
    is a shell command and as I would expect, it was truncated at the ampersand
    and presumably executed in the background.

    -- Larry Stone
    larry at stonejongleux.com
    http://www.stonejongleux.com/
  • John Fleming at Mar 6, 2005 at 1:33 pm

    I'd stay away from an ampersand. It has a special meaning in Unix commands
    (means execute the previous command in the background) and unless properly
    escaped, will be taken for that special meaning every time it occurs in a
    shell command.
    Thanks, Larry. I didn't find anything about it in the FAQ. Maybe something
    about that should be included in the help link for listname in the web
    interface. Just a thought...
  • Mark Sapiro at Mar 6, 2005 at 7:15 pm
    I'd stay away from an ampersand. It has a special meaning in Unix commands
    (means execute the previous command in the background) and unless properly
    escaped, will be taken for that special meaning every time it occurs in a
    shell command.
    Thanks, Larry. I didn't find anything about it in the FAQ. Maybe something
    about that should be included in the help link for listname in the web
    interface. Just a thought...
    Larry's advice is probably the best to follow, but you could quote the
    list name in the aliases, e.g.

    s&l: |/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post 's&l'

    and so forth. You would have to manually edit the aliases file for each
    such list, but it would probably get you around this issue and on to
    the next :-)

  • Carl Zwanzig at Mar 7, 2005 at 2:46 am

    In a flurry of recycled electrons, Mark Sapiro wrote:
    Larry Stone wrote:
    I'd stay away from an ampersand. It has a special meaning in Unix commands
    (means execute the previous command in the background) and unless properly
    escaped, will be taken for that special meaning every time it occurs in a
    shell command.
    Larry's advice is probably the best to follow, but you could quote the
    list name in the aliases, e.g.
    I'll also suggest that while the ampersand is a legal character for
    the local part of a mail address, as are a handful of other interesting
    characters (like '#' and '=', see rfc2822 3.4.2 and 3.4.1), using anything
    other than letters and numerals is likely to cause fairly elusive problems
    in the long run. Oh, and dashes ('-') are generally safe.

    z!

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedMar 6, '05 at 1:01p