I've had mailman running quite happily for a period of time on a redhat
9 machine and made sure that when I set it up that the groups were all
correct and for a few weeks messages were going out to the list. Then,
periodically (every few weeks) I get the following message in the logs
and mail is not delivered.

Mar 4 10:46:42 david postfix/local[31297]: 01DE533DC8:
to=<noticesp at david>, orig_to=<noticesp at david>, relay=local, delay',
status=bounced (Command died with status 2:
"/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post noticesp". Command output: Group
mismatch error. Mailman expected the mail wrapper script to be executed
as group "mailman", but the system's mail server executed the mail
script as group "nobody". Try tweaking the mail server to run the
script as group "mailman", or re-run configure, providing the command
line option `--with-mail-gid=nobody'. )

I've tracked down the problem to the ownership of the files are
changing. No longer are they being owned by mailman, but by root. I can
fix the problem by resetting the ownership of the files to mailman and
re-running check_perms -f to fix any stray permissions, but its
frustrating for the list users who have to wait for this to be done.

I've checked the cron scripts on the machine and can't see anything that
would affect the files in that part of the file system.

Has anyone else seen this problem and do they know the cause of it?

Jason

dangerous content and is believed to be clean.

Search Discussions

  • George Booth at Mar 4, 2005 at 2:39 pm
    For accreditation reasons, we are setting up automated lists for the
    colleges of our university. Since we were using Mailman already, we set up a
    seperate server, and scripts automatically create/delete lists based on
    automated data that comes from our PeopleSoft database. These lists are set
    up as announcement-only lists, so only specified people are able to send
    email. The Dean of each college is defaulted as the owner of the list for
    that college, but since we put this into Beta to test it, they've been
    receiving unwanted notifications that pending messages are awaiting
    approval, although there are no messages there. Now, we've created and blown
    away lists several times testing this, and we're thinking maybe some spam
    had tried coming through during one of the incarnations of the lists, but
    when the lists were destroyed, that the data was destroyed as well...but
    Mailman doesn't see it that way, and even though there are no messages
    pending approval, the software is still sending daily notices that there are
    some out there.

    These pending messages would be kept in the data directory under the mailman
    directory, correct? Is there any other place these messages might be kept
    that we're overlooking? And is there any way to tell Mailman to stop sending
    notifications for pending messages that don't exist? :)

    Thanks,

    George

    George Booth iTech System Administrator
    G.Booth at usm.edu
    University of Southern Mississippi
  • Brad Knowles at Mar 4, 2005 at 2:41 pm