Hi all,

After creating a list, mailman v2.1.5 bombs out like so:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/var/mailman/scripts/driver", line 87, in run_main
main()
File "/var/mailman/Mailman/Cgi/create.py", line 55, in main
process_request(doc, cgidata)
File "/var/mailman/Mailman/Cgi/create.py", line 226, in process_request
sys.modules[modname].create(mlist, cgi=1)
File "/var/mailman/Mailman/MTA/Postfix.py", line 232, in create
_update_maps()
File "/var/mailman/Mailman/MTA/Postfix.py", line 53, in _update_maps
raise RuntimeError, msg % (acmd, status, errstr)
RuntimeError: command failed: /usr/sbin/postalias
/var/mailman/data/aliases (status: 1, Operation not permitted)

The postfix logs complain of "permission denied" accessing data/aliases.

I have run the bin/check_perm script, but to no avail. Does anybody know
what should be done to make this work? I tried adding the postfix user
to the mailman group, but it didn't work.

Regards,
Graham

  • Todd at Mar 3, 2005 at 1:30 am

    Graham Leggett wrote:
[...]

    See: http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq06.009.htp

    - --
    Todd OpenPGP -> KeyID: 0xD654075A | URL: www.pobox.com/~tmz/pgp
    Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program.
    -- Dr. Milton Friedman, Nobel-Prize-winning economist.
  • Graham Leggett at Mar 3, 2005 at 8:32 am

    Todd said:

    I have run the bin/check_perm script, but to no avail. Does anybody know
    what should be done to make this work? I tried adding the postfix user
    to the mailman group, but it didn't work.
    See: http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq06.009.htp
    This FAQ entry repeats the docs - I tried setting the permissions to
    "mailman:mailman" but this did not work either.

    There seem to be a few problems at work:

    - The check_perms script is setting the ownership of the files to "root",
    when the docs say they should be "mailman".

    - Even when set to mailman:mailman, postalias still throws an error.

    Something strange that I have found is that if you delete the *.db files,
    postalias seems to recreate them, but these *.db files do not map the
    permissions of the original alias files (the virtual-mailman.db file is
    owned by "apache" for example).

    Can anybody send me an "ls -al" from a working mailman setup, so that I
    can see what the permissions should look like?

    Regards,
    Graham
    --
  • Todd at Mar 3, 2005 at 2:34 pm

    Graham Leggett wrote:
    Todd said:
    [...]
    This FAQ entry repeats the docs - I tried setting the permissions to
    "mailman:mailman" but this did not work either.
    Partly, but it adds an important step as well:

    You should also ensure that data/aliases and data/aliases.db are
    group writable. E.g.:

    % chmod 0664 data/aliases*

    Did you catch that part and try it?
    Can anybody send me an "ls -al" from a working mailman setup, so
    that I can see what the permissions should look like?
    - -rw-rw---- 1 mailman mailman 5.4K Mar 3 09:32 data/aliases
    - -rw-rw---- 1 mailman mailman 12K Mar 3 09:32 data/aliases.db

    - --
    Todd OpenPGP -> KeyID: 0xD654075A | URL: www.pobox.com/~tmz/pgp
    Thank God we don't get all the government we pay for.
  • Bryan Blackwell at Mar 3, 2005 at 7:26 pm
    Did you install Mailman as root, or with the mailman user? That might
    be it.
    --
    -- Bryan Blackwell --
    Unix System Administrator
    bryan at skiblack.com
    - The check_perms script is setting the ownership of the files to
    "root",
    when the docs say they should be "mailman".

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedMar 3, '05 at 12:14a
activeMar 3, '05 at 7:26p