Couple questions on archiving.

First, have some lists that archives exist for that I need to remove. We
don't support archiving so I need to blast them. What's the "safe" way
to do this?

On that note (we don't support archiving), I've disabled archives on all
lists on our server (via withlist), have set DEFAULT_ARCHIVE = Off &
ARCHIVE_TO_MBOX to -1 in Defaults.py. Additionally, I removed the
archive option from the UI via Defaults.py as well.

Now, what I'm finding is that if a list has content filtering disabled,
or set to allow other MIME types through (such as HTML) and if a member
is of type digest and they have the plain option enabled for digests,
they receive a message in their digest with a URL of where they can see
a copy of the original message. The URL included has a pipermail address
in it. On the server, the file was placed in that directory however I
have pipermail disabled (since we don't support archives). Any way to
disable this part or do I just need to wipe those archived files?

Darren Young | http://www.chicagogsb.edu |
Senior UNIX Administrator | darren.young at chicagogsb.edu |
University of Chicago GSB | darren.young at gsb.uchicago.edu |

  • Mark Sapiro at Mar 5, 2005 at 11:28 pm

    Young, Darren wrote:
    Couple questions on archiving.

    First, have some lists that archives exist for that I need to remove. We
    don't support archiving so I need to blast them. What's the "safe" way
    to do this?
    Set archive_private to 'private'. This should delete the
    archives/public/<listname>/ directory if there was one. Then you can
    delete everything in archives/private/<listname>, but it would be
    safest to have an index.html file that just says there is no archive.
    The satanard one is based on templates/<lang>/emptyarchive.html
    On that note (we don't support archiving), I've disabled archives on all
    lists on our server (via withlist), have set DEFAULT_ARCHIVE = Off &
    ARCHIVE_TO_MBOX to -1 in Defaults.py. Additionally, I removed the
    archive option from the UI via Defaults.py as well.

    Now, what I'm finding is that if a list has content filtering disabled,
    or set to allow other MIME types through (such as HTML) and if a member
    is of type digest and they have the plain option enabled for digests,
    they receive a message in their digest with a URL of where they can see
    a copy of the original message. The URL included has a pipermail address
    in it. On the server, the file was placed in that directory however I
    have pipermail disabled (since we don't support archives). Any way to
    disable this part or do I just need to wipe those archived files?
    I'm not sure what you want here. If you set archive_private to
    'private', the URL will be to the private archive location rather that
    the pipermail location.

    For HTML parts see the description of ARCHIVE_HTML_SANITIZER in
    Defaults.py.

  • Tokio Kikuchi at Mar 6, 2005 at 7:08 am
    Hi,

    Young, Darren wrote:
    Now, what I'm finding is that if a list has content filtering disabled,
    or set to allow other MIME types through (such as HTML) and if a member
    is of type digest and they have the plain option enabled for digests,
    they receive a message in their digest with a URL of where they can see
    a copy of the original message. The URL included has a pipermail address
    in it. On the server, the file was placed in that directory however I
    have pipermail disabled (since we don't support archives). Any way to
    disable this part or do I just need to wipe those archived files?
    Currently, the plain text digest saves attachments in the pipermail area
    on the hypothis that the archive is available. Or, the digest members
    have no means to get the attachments other than to decode MIME manually.
    You should wipe the archive periodically if you don't want those to be
    kept in the archive area. You may also have to tell the list owners (and
    users) your policy and not to use plain text digests but use mime digests.

    You will have to hack the code if you want to do this silently.

    http://weather.is.kochi-u.ac.jp/
  • Young, Darren at Mar 7, 2005 at 4:59 pm
    Is it safe to simply do something such as this in the archive directory:

    find /home/mailman/archives/private -ctime +30 -exec rm -fr {} \;

[...]

  • John W. Baxter at Mar 7, 2005 at 6:41 pm
    Yes unless find finds "too many" files that match, in which case it's more
    like
    find /home/mailman/archives/private -ctime +30 | xargs rm -rf

    xargs will batch the calls to rm with reasonable numbers of files (man xargs
    for controlling batch size and other goodies) And it will do other fun
    things. (I'm trusting your -ctime +30 predicate to find.)

    If you can use exec ls {}
    you can probably exec the rm. (I always test my find blah | xargs with
    something benign like ls before punging ahead.)

    The xargs thing is faster for any non-small file count even if the exec
    method works, and it's friendlier to the machine.

    --John