Folks:

I have a serious problem here that I can't seem to figure out. I've
been running Mailman for a very long time and have never seen this
behavior before.

A person is posting messages via GMane, but they are not subscribed to
the list. However, their messages are being allowed to post!

I have my list configured with ...

generic_nonmember_action = hold
accept_these_nonmembers = <empty>
default_member_moderation = yes
member_moderation_action = hold

As you can see from this post log entry, the posting was accepted ...

Mar 02 09:26:10 2005 (28195) post to rpg400-l from pearlsoft at xxxxxxxxx,
size%70, message-id=<d04kvp$kot$1 at sea.gmane.org>, success

But 'pearlsoft at xxxxxxxxx' is not subscribed to any of my lists.

If I send a message from one of my own email addresses that isn't
subscribed, it's held as it should be.

Any thoughts on how this can happen?

Thanks!

david

--
David Gibbs
david at midrange.com

Receipt of this message does not grant you permission to send me
Unsolicited Commercial Email

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Mar 4, 2005 at 10:11 pm

    David Gibbs wrote:
    I have a serious problem here that I can't seem to figure out. I've
    been running Mailman for a very long time and have never seen this
    behavior before.

    A person is posting messages via GMane, but they are not subscribed to
    the list. However, their messages are being allowed to post!

    I have my list configured with ...

    generic_nonmember_action = hold
    accept_these_nonmembers = <empty>
    default_member_moderation = yes
    member_moderation_action = hold

    As you can see from this post log entry, the posting was accepted ...

    Mar 02 09:26:10 2005 (28195) post to rpg400-l from pearlsoft at xxxxxxxxx,
    size%70, message-id=<d04kvp$kot$1 at sea.gmane.org>, success

    But 'pearlsoft at xxxxxxxxx' is not subscribed to any of my lists.
    The address in the post log entry (pearlsoft at xxxxxxxxx in this case) is
    not necessarily the address which was validated for the list. There
    are various possibilities, but for example, the address in the post
    log entry could be the From: header address while the address that was
    accepted as a member could be the envelope sender (or unixfrom)
    address.

    You may be able to get the incoming envelope sender from your MTA logs.

    Also, if the list password has been compromised, the post could have
    contained an Approved: header/line.

    Both the original envelope sender and any Approved: header/line are
    gone from the post as received from the list making it difficult to
    diagnose this.

    Still, looking at the post as received from the list might reveal a
    Sender: or Resent-From: or other header that might have a member's
    address.

  • David Gibbs at Mar 8, 2005 at 3:27 pm
    I did a bit more digging ... it seems that mail coming in from the GMane
    system is not being parsed correctly by Mailman.

    As a somewhat knee-jerk reaction, I turned on the moderation flag for
    all subscribers to stop the unauthorized posting.

    A few minutes ago I got a moderation notification that indicated that a
    message was being posted from 'rpg400 at m.gmane.org'.
    following mailing list posting: