Hello-

I've searched the Mailman Users FAQ and archives and cannot find an answer
to my issue below.

Our moderated Mailman list (running on Mailman 2.1.4) had been chugging
along just fine for the past five months. Then abruptly this week we found
several new subscribers posting to the list unmoderated! When I investigated
Mailman admin settings I found the new subscriber moderate box unchecked!
How could this setting be changed without human interaction? Anyway I
re-checked it and re-set all accounts to moderated.

At the same time this occurred, and thus may be related, some posts to the
list began showing up with attachments. Before this time we had been
successfully filtering attachments, without a single attachment making it
through to the list.

Example of a recent post which included attachments is included below (with
relevant headers). Note the two attachments in the post below appear as a
graphical rule (horizontal line), one separating the header from the body
and the other between the body and the footer (see below). (At least this is
how they appear in Outlook Express, which by necessity I use to view
messages posted to the list).

We have the list setup to convert all HTML to text. Below is the lists
current 'Content Filtering' settings.

Any thoughts on why we are suddenly observing the appearance of attachments
and any recommendations to filter them out? We're just happy with straight
text.

Thanks,

Woody

--
Current 'Content Filtering' settings:

Should Mailman filter the content of list traffic according to the settings
below?
Yes

Remove message attachments that have a matching content type.
None listed.

Remove message attachments that don't have a matching content type.
multipart/mixed
multipart/alternative
text/plain

Should Mailman convert text/html parts to plain text?
yes.

Action to take when a message matches the content filtering rules.
Discard

---------------
Below is example of list message including HTML (with relevant header info).
---------------

------=_NextPart_000_00A9_01C518E5.D82AFB00

News list:

------=_NextPart_000_00A9_01C518E5.D82AFB00

BODY of message...

------=_NextPart_000_00A9_01C518E5.D82AFB00

Footer...

------=_NextPart_000_00A9_01C518E5.D82AFB00--

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Feb 25, 2005 at 4:37 pm

    HPA wrote:
    I've searched the Mailman Users FAQ and archives and cannot find an answer
    to my issue below.

    Our moderated Mailman list (running on Mailman 2.1.4) had been chugging
    along just fine for the past five months. Then abruptly this week we found
    several new subscribers posting to the list unmoderated! When I investigated
    Mailman admin settings I found the new subscriber moderate box unchecked!
    How could this setting be changed without human interaction? Anyway I
    re-checked it and re-set all accounts to moderated.
    Mailman won't change it. Possibly someone was making some other list
    admin changes and changed it by accident. Someone I once worked with
    called it "ghosts". There is no log or audit trail of these changes,
    so you may never know.
    At the same time this occurred, and thus may be related, some posts to the
    list began showing up with attachments. Before this time we had been
    successfully filtering attachments, without a single attachment making it
    through to the list.
    You may have changed list header and/or footer or you may have a new
    poster who's posting in a different format. See below.
    Example of a recent post which included attachments is included below (with
    relevant headers). Note the two attachments in the post below appear as a
    graphical rule (horizontal line), one separating the header from the body
    and the other between the body and the footer (see below). (At least this is
    how they appear in Outlook Express, which by necessity I use to view
    messages posted to the list).

    These are not really attachments. They appear to be the msg_header and
    msg_footer which have been added as separate MIME parts because their
    character set and encoding did not match that of the message.

    Outlook Express shows them in this way. Some other MUAs will do the
    same and some will display the whole message in one piece.

    See http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.039.htp

[...]

    The above is not the issue. It is OK

    ---------------
    Below is example of list message including HTML (with relevant header info).
    ---------------

    ------=_NextPart_000_00A9_01C518E5.D82AFB00

    News list:
    is this a msg_header? If not, it was a separate part in the original.
    If yes, see remarks under footer.

    ------=_NextPart_000_00A9_01C518E5.D82AFB00

    BODY of message...

    ------=_NextPart_000_00A9_01C518E5.D82AFB00

    Footer...
    The footer is added as a separate part because its 7bit incoding and
    us-ascii character set aren't the same as the quoted-printable
    encoding and iso-8859-1 character set of the body.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedFeb 24, '05 at 6:07p
activeFeb 25, '05 at 4:37p