I have searched the FAQ pages and found some information regarding my
problem, however, being new to the list, it is over my head. I haven't a
clue about cgi bins, grunners etc.

My need is to have the IP address in the welcome message replaced with
our company name. I understand that there is a .txt template somewhere
that I can edit. Could you please direct me on how to find it and how to
edit it?

Thanks much

Bonnie Lungren

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Feb 19, 2005 at 12:19 am

    Bonnie Lungren at WEI wrote:
    My need is to have the IP address in the welcome message replaced with
    our company name. I understand that there is a .txt template somewhere
    that I can edit. Could you please direct me on how to find it and how to
    edit it?

    Editing templates is discussed in
    http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.048.htp

    I'm not sure which template you want becaust the list welcome message
    doesn't normally have an IP address in it. The message that does
    normally have an IP address for a web based subscribe is the 'confirm
    your subscription' message.

    Anyway, the list welcome is subscribeack.txt and the subscription
    confirmation is verify.txt. The followin is more specific information
    that in the FAQ assuming that the template you want is
    subscribeack.txt.

    Also, I will assume you're only concerned with English language. For
    other languages, just substitute the correct language for 'en'

    The base template in in templates/en/subscribeack.txt. Do not change or
    remove this template. Copy it and edit the copy. By comparing the
    template with the actual message, it should be clear what to change.
    Things like %(somename)s are replaced with actual values. These can be
    removed form the template and replaced with constant values.

    For example, you may want to replace "Welcome to the
    %(real_name)s@%(host_name)s mailing list!" with "Welcome to the Foo
    Bar Company mailing list!"

    Once you have edited your copy, if you want this change to apply only
    to the 'foo' list, create the directory lists/foo/en/ and store the
    modified template as lists/foo/en/subscribeack.txt. If you want the
    change to apply to all lists, create the directories templates/site/
    and templates/site/en/ and store the modified template as
    templates/site/en/subscribeack.txt.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedFeb 18, '05 at 11:38p