I'd be interested in knowing if anybody is successfully using Mailman
under User Mode Linux and what sort of specs this requires. I am trying
it with 64MB RAM and have memory errors, but I'm also running Apache and
Dovecot for IMAP mail. httpd and python seem to use the most memory.
That's running on Fedora Core 2.

FAQ 1.24:
In theory, Mailman should work on any hardware/operating system that
fully supports the current version of Python (e.g., 2.3), and includes
compatible web and mail servers. This does include virtual machine
configurations.

Thanks,
Todd

Search Discussions

  • John Dennis at Feb 3, 2005 at 6:48 pm

    I'd be interested in knowing if anybody is successfully using Mailman
    under User Mode Linux and what sort of specs this requires. I am trying
    it with 64MB RAM and have memory errors, but I'm also running Apache and
    Dovecot for IMAP mail. httpd and python seem to use the most memory.
    That's running on Fedora Core 2.

    FAQ 1.24:
    In theory, Mailman should work on any hardware/operating system that
    fully supports the current version of Python (e.g., 2.3), and includes
    compatible web and mail servers. This does include virtual machine
    configurations.
    I believe you're assumption is correct, mailman should run fine in a
    virtual machine. When you say you're getting memory errors I assume you
    meant you've exhausted virtual memory and swap space in your VM, if
    that's correct I don't think there is much you can do aside from improve
    your VM. I don't personally have any experience with UML but I can tell
    you that virtualization is getting a lot of attention here of late and
    the preferred technology is Xen, not UML, info on Xen can be found here:

    http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG/netos/xen
    --
    John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>
  • Tierra at Feb 3, 2005 at 9:34 pm

    I'd be interested in knowing if anybody is successfully using Mailman
    under User Mode Linux and what sort of specs this requires. I am trying
    it with 64MB RAM and have memory errors, but I'm also running Apache and
    Dovecot for IMAP mail. httpd and python seem to use the most memory.
    That's running on Fedora Core 2.
    Yes, I have it working on a UML instance with only 64mb ram, and 256mb
    swap. But you do really have to watch your memory consumption with
    Mailman. I've never run Dovecot (I run Courier-IMAP), but so long as
    your not running anything else besides what you've mentioned (Dovecot,
    Apache, and Mailman), you should be cutting it just about even. I'd
    look into cutting some of the un-used modules out of Apache.