I have seen several threads related to the genalias command. The idea
is that with postfix, when you run genalias (and you have added the
mailman alias files to your postfix main.cf), it will automatically
update your mailman alias file.

The problem for me on Fedora Core 3 is that when I set my
MTA='Postfix' in the mm_cfg.py file and then run 'genalias', the alias
file is supposed to be written to the data/aliases file. On FC3, this
is located in /var/lib/mailman/data/

Here's an example

# /usr/lib/mailman/bin/genaliases
# ls /var/lib/mailman/data
last_mailman_version
sitelist.cfg

My guess is that there is some configuration parameter that is
preventing this from working. When I change remove the MTA='Postfix'
in the mm_cfg.py file, aliases are generated. I realize this is the
workaround, but I would like to have mailman working automatically to
maintain postfix aliases when we add or remove mailman lists.

I appreciate any suggestions.
Jeff

Search Discussions

  • Christian Schoepplein at Dec 11, 2004 at 10:49 pm

    I have seen several threads related to the genalias command. The idea
    is that with postfix, when you run genalias (and you have added the
    mailman alias files to your postfix main.cf), it will automatically
    update your mailman alias file.
    Yes, and that works fine here since more than a year ;-).
    The problem for me on Fedora Core 3 is that when I set my
    MTA='Postfix' in the mm_cfg.py file and then run 'genalias', the alias
    file is supposed to be written to the data/aliases file. On FC3, this
    is located in /var/lib/mailman/data/

    Here's an example

    # /usr/lib/mailman/bin/genaliases
    # ls /var/lib/mailman/data
    last_mailman_version
    sitelist.cfg

    My guess is that there is some configuration parameter that is
    preventing this from working. When I change remove the MTA='Postfix'
    in the mm_cfg.py file, aliases are generated. I realize this is the
    workaround, but I would like to have mailman working automatically to
    maintain postfix aliases when we add or remove mailman lists.
    Create the /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases file manualy and set the
    right permissions. Then try the genaliases command again:

    # touch /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases
    # chown user_that_your_webserver_runs_under:mailman aliases
    # chmod 660 aliases

    On my box with SUSE 8.1 the alias files in /var/lib/mailman/data look
    like this:

    # ls -al /var/lib/mailman/data/al*
    -rw-rw---- 1 wwwrun mailman 56857 Dec 11 23:45 aliases
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 wwwrun mailman 90112 Dec 11 23:45 aliases.db

    If the files were created correctly, you have to tell postfix about the
    mailman alias file. From /etc/postfix/main.cf:

    alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases,
    hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases

    Hth,
    Schoepp