Someone in this world please please tell me how to get Postfix,
mailman, and virtual alias maps to all work together PLEASE. This is
not a Postfix issue. Postfix works fine. This is an integrating of
Mailman issue.

Here are my files. I'm going to sleep now. I've been at this for 12
hours not counting the six days I spent getting Postfix to work. If
any of you have any mercy in your souls you will help me figure out why
/etc/postfix/virtual will not release its iron-clad grip on my incoming
mail and allow ~mailman/data/aliases to do its job and route my
postings to their lists. The lists themselves are fine.

I have integrated all of the advice that you all have given me today
much of which is not in the instructions and I have followed the ReadMe
as well.

http://www.beathustler.com/main.cf

http://www.beathustler.com/virtual

http://www.beathustler.com/mm_cfg.py

http://www.beathustler.com/aliases

http://www.beathustler.com/virtual-mailman

I don't know what made me think this would be easy but I'm in too deep
to turn back now.

Please help.

Thank you very much.

-Evan

Search Discussions

  • Rabinowitz, Ari (Exchange) at Dec 9, 2004 at 2:31 pm
    Evan,

    There are a few things you need to understand about postfix and its
    interaction with Mailman. The first is that postfix will not allow a
    script to be run from the virtual file, only from the aliases file which
    is looked at by the "local" delivery agent. Another thing to remember
    is that plain ID's on the right hand side of the virtual map get
    @$myorigin appended. In your case $myorigin=$mydomain which is
    beathustler.com, so the addresses in the virtual-mailman file get mapped
    back to beathustler.com, which is why they are going to the catch-all
    address. You need to add @localhost the way you did for your virtual
    file. Then you need to add the lists to your aliases file, mapping them
    to the mailman scripts using the pipe (|) syntax you were wondering
    about in an earlier message.

    I hope this helps get you on the right track. Don't forget to "postmap"
    the virtual files and "postalias" the aliases file.

    Ari Rabinowitz

    Searchable Archives:

  • David Relson at Dec 11, 2004 at 12:03 am

    Someone in this world please please tell me how to get Postfix,
    mailman, and virtual alias maps to all work together PLEASE. This is
    not a Postfix issue. Postfix works fine. This is an integrating of
    Mailman issue.

    Here are my files. I'm going to sleep now. I've been at this for 12
    hours not counting the six days I spent getting Postfix to work. If
    any of you have any mercy in your souls you will help me figure out why
    /etc/postfix/virtual will not release its iron-clad grip on my incoming
    mail and allow ~mailman/data/aliases to do its job and route my
    postings to their lists. The lists themselves are fine.

    I have integrated all of the advice that you all have given me today
    much of which is not in the instructions and I have followed the ReadMe
    as well.
    Hi Evan,

    You've got the same toolset as I do. Maybe I can offer some tips.

    Note: I'm something of a rookie myself. I got mailman up/running about
    8 months ago and have 3 mailing lists with small subscriber
    counts(around 500 for all 3) and low traffic volumes. The info below is
    how _I_ have it working and may not be the best way to do it.

    1) In /etc/postfix/main.cf there are two mailman related lines:

    virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual,
    hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman

    alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases,
    hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases

    As you can guess, my main mailman directory is /var/lib/mailman (which
    is where Mandrake puts things). Your location may be different.

    The data/* files are maintained by mailman itself.

    2) /etc/postfix/master.cf doesn't reference mailman at all.

    3) /etc/mailman is the mail man configuration file. On my system there
    is a symlink from/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py to it. It has
    several site specific lines at the end of the file:

    # Put YOUR site-specific settings below this line.

    #VERP_FORMAT='%(bounces)s+%(mailbox)s=%(host)s'
    @.*$'

    VERP_PASSWORD_REMINDERS = Yes
    VERP_PERSONALIZED_DELIVERIES = Yes

    VERP_DELIVERY_INTERVAL = 1

    #VERP_CONFIRM_FORMAT='%(addr)s+%(cookie)s'

    #VERP_CONFIRM_REGEXP=r'^(?P<addr>[^+]+?)\+(?P<cookie>[^@]+)@.*$'
    VERP_CONFIRMATIONS=Yes

    DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'example.com'
    DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'www.example.com'
    MTA = 'Postfix'

    POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = [ DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST ]

    There are a few extra commented lines in the above. Offhand I don't
    recall whether they show mailman default values or alternate setting
    that I could use but don't.

    HTH,

    David
  • DJ Freak at Dec 11, 2004 at 3:50 am
    Thank you very much for your reply David.

    I'm looking very carefully right now at your pp_cfg.py code. You also
    have fewer lines in your main.cf file than I do.

    Mine are:

    virtual_alias_maps = hash:/Users/mailman/data/virtual-mailman
    virtual_alias_domains = beathustler.com, jessicamartin.org,
    nathanielmiller.com, wigglemusic.com, grapefruitgirl.com
    alias_maps = hash:/Users/mailman/data/aliases, hash:/etc/postfix/aliases
    alias_database = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases

    I had to change the order of these lines around and even split them in
    two a bunch of times to get Mailman to finally work. If something
    about those lines screams wrong to any of you then let me know. I have
    made a lot of progress since my last post. Using the above lines
    (which may look odd I agree) I am finally able to post. A huge
    accomplishment. How come you don't have virtual_alias_domains David?
    Do you only host one site?

    The reason that I ask is that in my pp_cfg.py file I have
    ['mail.beathustler.com'] (my server's mail identity). I have gotten
    the lists working by sending mails to beat-hustler at mail.beathustler.com
    which is also the Preferred URL I have set in the lists' Web Interface
    setting and I have postmapped and newaliased and bin/mailmanctl
    restart'ed and postfix reloaded until my fingers bleed needless to say.
    However, I wish to have people send subscription mails to
    beat-hustler-subscribe at beathustler.com not mail.beathustler.com which
    refuses to work or ideally have people send simply to
    subscribe at beathustler.com and have that mail sign them up to a list
    which I would set. Do you have any thoughts on that? Remembering of
    course that I have several different sites on the server several of
    which may have mailing lists in the future, granted I'm willing to live
    with each URL having only one list each meaning subscribe at domain1.com
    will only subscribe you to domain1.com's set mailing list while sending
    subscribe at domain2.com will subscribe you to #2's list etc. Is this
    possible?

    Thanks for any thoughts on this David.

    -Evan
[...]

  • DJ Freak at Dec 11, 2004 at 4:05 am
    I meant mm_cfg.py
[...]

    the lists working by sending mails to
    beat-hustler at mail.beathustler.com which is also the Preferred URL I
    have set in the lists' Web Interface setting and I have postmapped and
    newaliased and bin/mailmanctl restart'ed and postfix reloaded until my
    fingers bleed needless to say. However, I wish to have people send
    subscription mails to beat-hustler-subscribe at beathustler.com not
    mail.beathustler.com which refuses to work or ideally have people send
    simply to subscribe at beathustler.com and have that mail sign them up to
    a list which I would set. Do you have any thoughts on that?
    Remembering of course that I have several different sites on the
    server several of which may have mailing lists in the future, granted
    I'm willing to live with each URL having only one list each meaning
    subscribe at domain1.com will only subscribe you to domain1.com's set
    #2's list etc. Is this possible?

[...]

    #VERP_REGEXP=r'^(?P<bounces>[^+]+?)\+(?P<mailbox>[^=]+)=(?
    P<host>[^@]+)
    @.*$'

    VERP_PASSWORD_REMINDERS = Yes
    VERP_PERSONALIZED_DELIVERIES = Yes

    VERP_DELIVERY_INTERVAL = 1

    #VERP_CONFIRM_FORMAT='%(addr)s+%(cookie)s'

    #VERP_CONFIRM_REGEXP=r'^(?P<addr>[^+]+?)\+(?P<cookie>[^@]+)@.*$'
    VERP_CONFIRMATIONS=Yes

    DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'example.com'
    DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'www.example.com'
    MTA = 'Postfix'

    POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = [ DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST ]

    There are a few extra commented lines in the above. Offhand I don't
    recall whether they show mailman default values or alternate setting
    that I could use but don't.

    HTH,

    David
    Searchable Archives:
  • David Relson at Dec 11, 2004 at 4:22 am

    Thank you very much for your reply David.

    I'm looking very carefully right now at your pp_cfg.py code. You also
    have fewer lines in your main.cf file than I do.

    Mine are:

    virtual_alias_maps = hash:/Users/mailman/data/virtual-mailman
    virtual_alias_domains = beathustler.com, jessicamartin.org,
    nathanielmiller.com, wigglemusic.com, grapefruitgirl.com
    alias_maps = hash:/Users/mailman/data/aliases,
    hash:/etc/postfix/aliases
    alias_database = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases
    DJ:

    Assuming that you already have postfix up and running, I figured you
    didn't want or need everything in my config files. So, I just listed
    the mailman relevant lines. If you need more, let me know.

    I've got two domains hosted on the machine, but only one of them has
    mailing lists.

    I haven't looked at all your questions, as it's late and I'm working on
    some major policy questions for bogofilter. Perhaps I'll be able to get
    back to this later this weekend.

    David

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython