We run about 30 different listservs on the BLU server using Mailman
2.1.4. We recently upgraded from an ancient release of mailman. Some of
our listserv admins are complaining about "Uncaught bounce notification"
messages. It appears that most of these result from delayed email
notification to hotmail or msn subscribers. Personally, I just ignore
them. While I have not tried this, if we disable "Should Mailman send
you, the list owner, any bounce messages that failed to be detected by
the bounce processor?", would that eliminate those messages. But, by
disabling this, would the list owners lose some other important
notification.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group

  • Mark Sapiro at Nov 21, 2004 at 4:26 pm

    Jerry Feldman wrote:
    We run about 30 different listservs on the BLU server using Mailman
    2.1.4. We recently upgraded from an ancient release of mailman. Some of
    our listserv admins are complaining about "Uncaught bounce notification"
    messages. It appears that most of these result from delayed email
    notification to hotmail or msn subscribers.
    There is a recent thread on this beginning at
    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2004-November/040837.html
    Personally, I just ignore
    them. While I have not tried this, if we disable "Should Mailman send
    you, the list owner, any bounce messages that failed to be detected by
    the bounce processor?", would that eliminate those messages. But, by
    disabling this, would the list owners lose some other important
    notification.
    Yes, it would eliminate delivering those "unrecognized" delayed
    notifications to the list owner, but it would also eliminate
    delivering all other unrecognized bounces, some of which may be SPAM
    or even desired messages sent to the list-bounces address and some of
    which may be real bounces in a non-standard format which should be
    seen. If this is a concern, you can set VERP_DELIVERY_INTERVAL to some
    non-zero value in mm_cfg.py so every nth post is VERP'd and "real"
    bounces will eventually be detected.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedNov 21, '04 at 2:34p
activeNov 21, '04 at 4:26p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Jerry Feldman: 1 post Mark Sapiro: 1 post