Matthew Saltzman wrote:
On Thu, 18 Nov 2004, Mark Sapiro wrote:

Did you run bin/update after moving the list directory?
It wasn't clear from the UPGRADING readme that that step was necessary.
bin/update seems like it will update Mailman itself (which may not be
desirable). Is it necessary for moving mailing lists? What does it do
for 2.0-2.1 upgrades?
bin/update converts data files, qfiles, list data, etc. as necessary to
bring them from an older format to that of the current Mailman. If you
have an installation and you upgrade the Mailman software, the update
is run automatically as part of the upgrade. However, if you move an
existing list that is in an old format to an already installed newer
Mailman version (which is what I thought you did, but maybe not), I
think you need to run bin/update to update the list files.

If you moved to the new server and then upgraded to 2.1.5, then you
don't need to run bin/update separately. If you installed 2.1.5 on the
new server and then moved your lists from the old server, I think you
do need to run bin/update.

  • Matthew Saltzman at Nov 19, 2004 at 11:56 am

[...]

    Can bin/update be run to fix up the list files without risking updating
    the software itself?

    --
    Matthew Saltzman

    Clemson University Math Sciences
    mjs AT clemson DOT edu
    http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs
  • Sean at Nov 19, 2004 at 7:18 pm

    Mark Sapiro wrote:

    bin/update converts data files, qfiles, list data, etc. as necessary to
    bring them from an older format to that of the current Mailman. If you
    have an installation and you upgrade the Mailman software, the update
    is run automatically as part of the upgrade. However, if you move an
    existing list that is in an old format to an already installed newer
    Mailman version (which is what I thought you did, but maybe not), I
    think you need to run bin/update to update the list files.

    If you moved to the new server and then upgraded to 2.1.5, then you
    don't need to run bin/update separately. If you installed 2.1.5 on the
    new server and then moved your lists from the old server, I think you
    do need to run bin/update.
    Running bin/update is not necessary if you only use the config.db file to
    move the list from Mailman 2.0. I've moved lots of lists over from
    Mailman 2.0 to Mailman 2.1 and never ran update.

    After creating the list on the 2.1 server I put the old config.db file in
    the list directory, rename the config.pck to config.pck.bak, and then
    access the list via the web interface. Mailman converts the config.db
    file to a config.pck file. Of course the web_page_url needs updated to
    the new server.

    I've never encountered any problems moving this in this manner.

    Sean
  • Matthew Saltzman at Nov 20, 2004 at 2:45 am

[...]

    Thanks for verifying what I had thought I was observing. I am now pretty
    confident that I can move and upgrade all my lists.

    --
    Matthew Saltzman

    Clemson University Math Sciences
    mjs AT clemson DOT edu