I have a situation in which I frequently need to manually unsubscribe some
members from my list--usually triggered by some incoming message such as an
unrecognized bounce. Instead of going to the list's admin page and using
"Mass Unsubscribe", or looking up the member and checking the unsub box, I
would like to be able to unsubscribe them by e-mail using an admin password,
such as:

Reason: I want to partially automate the unsub process using AppleScript.

The documentation describes the unsubscribe command like this:

unsubscribe [password] [address=<address>]

Can I use that with the admin password and "address=joe at aol.com"?

  • Mark Sapiro at Nov 4, 2004 at 4:25 pm

    Allen Watson wrote:
    members from my list--usually triggered by some incoming message such as an
    unrecognized bounce. Instead of going to the list's admin page and using
    "Mass Unsubscribe", or looking up the member and checking the unsub box, I
    would like to be able to unsubscribe them by e-mail using an admin password,
    such as:

    Reason: I want to partially automate the unsub process using AppleScript.

    The documentation describes the unsubscribe command like this:

    unsubscribe [password] [address=<address>]

    Can I use that with the admin password and "address=joe at aol.com"?
    If the list's unsubscribe_policy is set to require admin approval, no
    password is required in the unsubscribe e-mail command, but then you
    have to approve the unsubscribe on the web so this probably doesn't
    work for you.

    Currently, only the users' password works; the list admin password
    doesn't.

  • Allen Watson at Nov 5, 2004 at 7:35 pm

    unsubscribe [password] [address=<address>]

    Can I use that with the admin password and "address=joe at aol.com"?
    If the list's unsubscribe_policy is set to require admin approval, no
    password is required in the unsubscribe e-mail command, but then you
    have to approve the unsubscribe on the web so this probably doesn't
    work for you.

    Currently, only the users' password works; the list admin password
    doesn't.
    I'd like to suggest, then, that this ability be added to Mailman. Listserv
    has it. It is extremely useful and saves a lot of time.
    --
    Allen Watson

    The Circle of Atonement, P.O. Box 4238, W. Sedona, AZ 86340
    <http://www.circleofa.com>
  • Mark Sapiro at Nov 5, 2004 at 8:52 pm

    Allen Watson wrote:
    The documentation describes the unsubscribe command like this:

    unsubscribe [password] [address=<address>]

    Can I use that with the admin password and "address=joe at aol.com"?
    If the list's unsubscribe_policy is set to require admin approval, no
    password is required in the unsubscribe e-mail command, but then you
    have to approve the unsubscribe on the web so this probably doesn't
    work for you.

    Currently, only the users' password works; the list admin password
    doesn't.
    I'd like to suggest, then, that this ability be added to Mailman. Listserv
    has it. It is extremely useful and saves a lot of time.
    The place to make feature requests is
    http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id3&atid50103

    Also see the links in the first paragraph at
    http://www.list.org/devs.html

  • Tokio Kikuchi at Nov 5, 2004 at 11:55 pm

    Reason: I want to partially automate the unsub process using AppleScript.
    I wonder if AppleScript can automate web access. If you can use wget,
    then you can unsub a user like this:

    $ wget
    'http://www.example.com/mailman/options/yourlist/joe at example.net&unsub=1&unsubconfirm=1&password=AdminPwd'

    Cheers,
    http://weather.is.kochi-u.ac.jp/
  • Allen Watson at Nov 6, 2004 at 1:00 am
    Applescript can use "do shell script" to access shell commands. I don't seem
    to have wget on my OS 10.3.5 system; can "curl" do the job?

    I tried running it; it returned the HTML for the page, looking like it is
    halfway there. I tried entering the URL you gave (with appropriate values
    substituted), but it seems to call up the member options page with
    everything from the user's address on as the user's address. That is, it
    says, "Yourlist list: Member Options for
    joe at 4example.net&unsub=1&unsubconfirm=1&password=AdminPwd" at the top of the
    page. It does not seem to understand anything after that address. Is
    something missing?

    This approach seems really promising; I hope we can work out the kinks.
    The Circle of Atonement, P.O. Box 4238, W. Sedona, AZ 86340
    <http://www.circleofa.com>
    "Whom you forgive is free, and what you give you share. Forgive the sins
    your brother thinks he has committed, and all the guilt you think you see in
    him." (A Course in Miracles, T-19.IV(D.i).15:9-10)
  • Mark Sapiro at Nov 6, 2004 at 1:34 am

    Allen Watson wrote:
    Applescript can use "do shell script" to access shell commands. I don't seem
    to have wget on my OS 10.3.5 system; can "curl" do the job?

    I tried running it; it returned the HTML for the page, looking like it is
    halfway there. I tried entering the URL you gave (with appropriate values
    substituted), but it seems to call up the member options page with
    everything from the user's address on as the user's address. That is, it
    says, "Yourlist list: Member Options for
    joe at 4example.net&unsub=1&unsubconfirm=1&password=AdminPwd" at the top of the
    page. It does not seem to understand anything after that address. Is
    something missing?

    This approach seems really promising; I hope we can work out the kinks.
    The first & should be ?

    http://www.example.com/mailman/options/test_2/joe at example.net?unsub=1&unsubconfirm=1&password=AdminPwd

  • Allen Watson at Nov 6, 2004 at 8:51 pm

[...]

    Yes! That works. Thanks a million; I will write me an AppleScript that will
    let me select an e-mail address, run the script, and cause that person to be
    unsubscribed. And as I manage six lists, it will let me select from a list
    of six names.

    --
    Your companion on the journey,
    Allen Watson

    The Circle of Atonement, P.O. Box 4238, W. Sedona, AZ 86340
    <http://www.circleofa.com>
    "Whom you forgive is free, and what you give you share. Forgive the sins
    your brother thinks he has committed, and all the guilt you think you see in
    him." (A Course in Miracles, T-19.IV(D.i).15:9-10)

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedNov 4, '04 at 11:54a
activeNov 6, '04 at 8:51p