Greetings,

I would like to be able to subscribe people to a Mailman 2.1.5 list by
sending an email to the Mailman server. The list is set up such that
subscription requests require the list administrator's approval before
becoming active.

It looks like it is possible to subscribe to a list via email by sending
a mail to '<listname>-subscribe@<listhost>', but I can't seem to locate
doco on the email structure required (if any).

I'd like, if possible, to subscribe users via the email method without
the list administrator having to approve the subscription request. The
email would be sent by a script that I use to add users to my systems.

Can anyone tell me if this is possible? Ideally, if it is possible, the
subscription request email would contain the list admin password, I
guess, or else anyone could subscribe themselves via the email method...

Thanks in advance,
Guy.

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Oct 14, 2004 at 2:25 pm

    Guy Waugh wrote:
    I would like to be able to subscribe people to a Mailman 2.1.5 list by
    sending an email to the Mailman server. The list is set up such that
    subscription requests require the list administrator's approval before
    becoming active.
    Go to the FAQ at http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py and read
    article 4.33 if you're interested in another way of subscribing users
    from the web.
    It looks like it is possible to subscribe to a list via email by sending
    a mail to '<listname>-subscribe@<listhost>', but I can't seem to locate
    doco on the email structure required (if any).
    There isn't any required structure for mail sent to the -subscribe or
    -join address. Both the subject and body can be empty or not.
    I'd like, if possible, to subscribe users via the email method without
    the list administrator having to approve the subscription request. The
    email would be sent by a script that I use to add users to my systems.

    Can anyone tell me if this is possible? Ideally, if it is possible, the
    subscription request email would contain the list admin password, I
    guess, or else anyone could subscribe themselves via the email method...
    I don't think it is possible to do this.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedOct 14, '04 at 7:02a
activeOct 14, '04 at 2:25p