Mailman Users:

I am using Mailman 2.1.5.

Can I redirect a confirm from one list to another? When I reply to a
Confirmation can I change the To address from test-request at domain.com
to test2-request at domain.com? I have messages that are sent to a main
list which should be redirected to a smaller list. I want to preserve
the From address and the Subject line from the original message. Any
suggestions on how I can accomplish this?

Bruce Embrey

Bruce Edward Embrey : Linux Systems Manager
Campus Email Admin / NETREG : UNIX / Linux Administrator
Hood College : embrey at hood.edu : Phone (301)696-3927

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Sep 9, 2004 at 3:40 am

    Confirmation can I change the To address from test-request at domain.com
    to test2-request at domain.com?
    You could try it. I very much doubt it would break anything, but since
    the post is not being held for the "test2" list, I'm pretty sure it
    won't work.
    I have messages that are sent to a main
    list which should be redirected to a smaller list. I want to preserve
    the From address and the Subject line from the original message. Any
    suggestions on how I can accomplish this?
    You have asked this question in different ways a few times now, and I'm
    still not sure what you're looking for.

    My impression is your "main list" is moderated or in some other way the
    posts are held for approval and some human wants to manually redirect
    a post or posts to the smaller list (whether from the Administrative
    Database page or from an e-mail notification, I'm not sure, although
    this time it looks like e-mail) in some easy way while keeping the
    original From: and Subject: intact.

    The short answer is I'm not aware of any easy way to do this in
    Mailman. That doesn't mean there isn't one, just that I'm not aware of
    one (see disclaimer below).

    The longer answer is depending on what tools the human has available
    and which of these the human is comfortable in using, there may or may
    not be ways of doing this which in the short term at least are easier
    than simply returning the post to the OP and asking that it be posted
    to the "correct" list. However, this latter method *may* have the
    additional advantage of eventually training people to post to the
    proper list in the first place, although it has the drawback of making
    the human appear "difficult", at least to some.

    As an example of what I'm talking about, I might copy and paste the
    post into a file, edit the To: so it references the correct new list
    (to avoid "implicit destination" issues and confusion among
    recipients) and then "sendmail -t <(the file)". Depending on how the
    list validates the sender, a -f may be needed too. Some MUAs can do
    this kind of redirect too.

    Disclaimer - I'm not a Mailman expert at any level. There are people on
    this list who know a LOT more about these things that I do.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedSep 8, '04 at 6:53p
activeSep 9, '04 at 3:40a
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Bruce Embrey: 1 post Mark Sapiro: 1 post