Our Web host provides Mailman for our use and I am the new listkeeper. We
generate a sizeable number of messages daily but the last one received
(according to the archive) was early yesterday afternoon. Our ISP's answer
to our help request was 'read the documentation' (which was interesting but
doesn't have any troubleshooting). We have had several individuals not
receiving the emails since switching to Mailman but now the entire list is
unable to receive. What should I do next? To my knowledge, I have made no
changes in the admin except to individual subscribers. Judy Petersen

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Aug 26, 2004 at 12:21 am

    Judy Petersen wrote:
    Our Web host provides Mailman for our use and I am the new listkeeper. We
    generate a sizeable number of messages daily but the last one received
    (according to the archive) was early yesterday afternoon. Our ISP's answer
    to our help request was 'read the documentation' (which was interesting but
    doesn't have any troubleshooting). We have had several individuals not
    receiving the emails since switching to Mailman but now the entire list is
    unable to receive. What should I do next? To my knowledge, I have made no
    changes in the admin except to individual subscribers. Judy Petersen
    Get a new web host/ISP ... (not helpful I know, but not 100% facetious)

    I assume you have web access to the admin pages for your list and no
    access (i.e. shell access to the server than Mailman is on) beyond
    that. If this is the case, there's not too much you can do. Check on
    the "General Options" page to be sure emergency moderation is set to
    "no", but if this were the problem, you would presumably be getting
    lots of moderation approval requests unless someone else is the
    moderator (or list owner if no moderator).

    Next I would check the Mailman logs (particularly "post", "error" and
    "smtp") and maybe MTA logs, but I'm guessing you don't have access to
    these. If this is the case, you have to go back to the ISP and be more
    demanding. If you're paying for Mailman hosting, they should be
    helping you.

    Regarding your prior problem of certain users not receiving, if their
    subs are in order and they are not set to "nomail" and mail is not
    bouncing (ideally, you can see the "bounce" log, but if you have the
    list set to process bounces and to send unrecognized bounces to you,
    people who are bouncing whose bounces you don't see will sooner or
    later be disabled), then the list mail is most likely being caught in
    a spam filter somewhere.

  • Mark Sapiro at Aug 26, 2004 at 1:29 am
    I meant to mention in my previous reply to see the FAQ article at
    http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.014.htp
    and the others that it points to.

    Again, I'm guessing that you can't do these things directly, but
    maybe you can do your ISP's homework for them.

  • Mark Sapiro at Aug 26, 2004 at 1:39 am
    I clearly need to stop doing this now :-)

    The reply below was supposed to have the subject "Mailman has stopped
    processing mail", NOT "Disable email commands"

    Sorry for any confusion.
    I meant to mention in my previous reply to see the FAQ article at
    http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.014.htp
    and the others that it points to.

    Again, I'm guessing that you can't do these things directly, but
    maybe you can do your ISP's homework for them.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedAug 25, '04 at 11:20p
activeAug 26, '04 at 1:39a
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Mark Sapiro: 3 posts Judy Petersen: 1 post