Hi --

I just moved a small, but very long lived, mailing list system from
Majordomo to Mailman. The basic conversion went just fine, thanks.

I have archives of the old lists going back almost ten years, and I'd
like to import those into the Mailman archiver. They're stored in what
I think is standard mbox format (each message begins with a "From "
line) with each month's messages stored in a single file named something
like "list.0303" for the March, 2003 archives.

Is there a way to bring these into the Mailman archive system?

Thanks,

John

PS -- previously, these archives were processed by wilma/mhonarc/glimpse
to make a set of full-text searchable web archives, but for the new
system I'm thinking of just adding htdig or similar to the existing
Mailman archives rather than trying to maintain a separate system.

Search Discussions

  • Richard Barrett at Aug 3, 2004 at 5:05 pm
    You can use $prefix/bin/arch to add the contents of .mbox files to the
    HTML archives of a Mailman mailing list. RUn it with the -h option for
    more information.

    You could consider using the following patch to Mailman for integrating
    htdig for archive search:

    http://www.openinfo.co.uk/mailman/patches/444884/index.html

    and the following patch which integrates MHonArc for HTML archive page
    generation, which is compatible with the htdig integration:

    http://www.openinfo.co.uk/mailman/patches/mhonarc/index.html

    These patches are also available via sourceforge.
[...]

  • John R. Ackermann N8UR at Aug 3, 2004 at 5:19 pm
    Thanks for the quick and helpful reply, Richard! I remember the htdig
    patch and will probably use that.

    Mhonarc/wilma/glimpse was nice, but having to set it up per-list was a
    real pain, and I found that it was very picky about file permissions and
    just sneezing as the wrong user would screw things up. I'm hoping with
    htdig to have an automatic solution.

    Thanks!

    John
    ----

    Richard Barrett wrote:
[...]

  • Mike Flaherty at Aug 3, 2004 at 7:48 pm
    I have just installed Mailman and I created my first list. After doing so,
    I was presented with...

    However, I never received the notification. What am I missing?

    Thanks,
    Mike
  • Mike Flaherty at Aug 4, 2004 at 12:56 pm
    Here are some more details...

    OS = Redhat 7.3
    Python = 2.2.2 (RPM)
    Mailman = 2.1.5 (from souce)

    When I look in $prefix/logs, all I see is a file named "error" and it is
    empty. I'm told there should be more files there (i.e. smtp).

    In accordance with the README.SENDMAIL, I have added the symbolic link to
    the mailman wrapper in the smrsh directory and HUPed sendmail. Still no
    luck.

    I'm wondering if I have to consider looking at the "--with-mail-gid" option?
    Is there any sort of debug/command line mode that I can run "create" with?

    I am really looking forward to using Mailman so any further help would be
    most appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Mike