Hello!

I have a problem, and i still can't get the right answer for it, maybe
you could help me.

I needed do edit a message of an archive today, so i did the change, and
saved it. Later, i had to run the bin/arch script to regenerate the
archive of the list i had to edit a message. Thats what i did, providing
"bin/arch mylist [<mbox>].

Now, i have got a problem with that: The numeration of the mails got
changed. All links which pointed to a specific mail don't work anymore,
because it seems there -3633 after the arch'ing. Meaning: Mail 9659 got,
after i had arched, 6026. I can't figure out, what caused it, but i
still have the problem that the links are broken after this change. Is
there any possiblity to get the numeration like it was before? Or is it
possible to say the script, it has to start counting from Mail Number
3633, ( i mean giving the (first!) mail the number 3633, to get the old
order) ?
I am really desesperating on this problem - As far, -s and -e can't help
in this case.

Sincerly yours,
Ronny

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Jul 22, 2004 at 12:25 am

    Ronny Raschkowan wrote:
    I needed do edit a message of an archive today, so i did the change, and
    saved it. Later, i had to run the bin/arch script to regenerate the
    archive of the list i had to edit a message. Thats what i did, providing
    "bin/arch mylist [<mbox>].
    It seems from what you say later that you used --wipe. In any case you
    should have.
    Now, i have got a problem with that: The numeration of the mails got
    changed. All links which pointed to a specific mail don't work anymore,
    because it seems there -3633 after the arch'ing. Meaning: Mail 9659 got,
    after i had arched, 6026. I can't figure out, what caused it, but i
    still have the problem that the links are broken after this change. Is
    there any possiblity to get the numeration like it was before? Or is it
    possible to say the script, it has to start counting from Mail Number
    3633, ( i mean giving the (first!) mail the number 3633, to get the old
    order) ?
    I am really desesperating on this problem - As far, -s and -e can't help
    in this case.
    I'm only guessing, but are there messages missing? it seems that the
    .mbox file was probably missing 3633 messages. Was the .mbox "started
    over" at some point? Is there an old .mbox file somewhere containing
    3633 messages?

  • Ronny Raschkowan at Jul 22, 2004 at 12:59 am

    Mark Sapiro wrote:
    Ronny Raschkowan wrote:

    I needed do edit a message of an archive today, so i did the change, and
    saved it. Later, i had to run the bin/arch script to regenerate the
    archive of the list i had to edit a message. Thats what i did, providing
    "bin/arch mylist [<mbox>].
    It seems from what you say later that you used --wipe. In any case you
    should have.

    Hm, i had to notice that :-(
[...]

    I can't look, because the archive is very big, as far, i can't remember
    of all mails we became on it :)
    I looked in the archives/private/ directory, cd'ed to to mylist.mbox
    directory, but there was only the normal wikide-l.mbox.

    This is really strange.. But I need the normal numeration back.

    BTW: Is there an (official?) channel in IRC or somewhere where
    siteadmins could chat together and help other site admins?

    Sincerly yours,
    Ronny
  • Mark Sapiro at Jul 22, 2004 at 2:12 am

    Ronny Raschkowan wrote:
    This is really strange.. But I need the normal numeration back.
    If I understand correctly that the new numbers are 3363 less than the
    old numbers, you could always add 3633 dummy messages to the beginning
    of the .mbox file and then
    bin/arch --wipe [listname]

    I think at most you need

    The date in the initial From line has a specific format which is
    Day Mon dd hh:mm:ss yyyy
    e.g.
    From msapiro at value.net Mon Jan 15 08:45:41 2001

  • Ronny Raschkowan at Jul 22, 2004 at 2:22 am