Last week, one of the mailing lists for which I'm an admin stopped
sending out messages (I was gone, so I didn't notice until today). All
the other lists on this same server are functioning properly. The list
(jadmin at jabber.org) has fairly high volume but so do other lists on the
server. We are running Mailman 2.1.3 (upgraded in February, no troubles
since then, well, other than some posts not being archived -- we'll
leave that for another message) on Debian testing with Postfix. The
perms for this list seem fine (same as other lists on the machine). I
have enabled emergency moderation and posts to the list are now held in
the admin queue, but if I approve a message it does not get distributed
to the list. Neither is mail to jadmin-admin at jabber.org delivered to the
list admins. The last timestamp on the mbox file for this list is
2004-06-02T17:17 (no mail sent since then).

I'm puzzled. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

BTW, before sending this mail I did the following:

0. Ran the check_perms script.
1. Verified that cron is running.
2. Checked aliases and ran newaliases.
3. Verified that postfix doesn't use smrsh.
4. Checked interface (other lists working fine).
5. Checked that qrunner is working fine.
6. Checked for locks (none on the offending list).
7. Checked logs but don't see any egregious errors.
8. Cleared out the qfiles.
9. Checked SMTPHOST (other lists working fine).

Since this list is the main list for administrators of Jabber servers
(the IM equivalent of mailman-users, if you will), I'm eager to get it
running again.

Many thanks.

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre
Jabber Software Foundation

  • Peter Saint-Andre at Jun 10, 2004 at 12:39 pm
    Also, running 'bin/check_db jadmin' results in no complaints.

    Peter
[...]

  • Peter Saint-Andre at Jun 10, 2004 at 2:29 pm
    Finally, mail to jadmin-owner gets distributed but mail to
    jadmin-admin does not.

[...]

  • Jeff Barger at Jun 10, 2004 at 3:21 pm

[...]

    Have you check through the mailman logs? You should see the message
    being held (and released) in the 'vette' log and then you should see it
    go out in the 'smtp' log. If you don't see the message in the 'smtp'
    log, check 'smtp-failures'. If you DO see it in the 'smtp' log then
    check your postfix log. You should be able to follow the message
    through the smtp-id of the message.

    -Jeff
  • Jeff Barger at Jun 10, 2004 at 9:20 pm