Dear Mailman users (and hopefully administrators and/or programmers),

We have some campus lists that we'd like to leave open to members and
everybody with addresses such as (in regexp form)

.*@.*duke\.edu

but cause all postings from non-duke.edu addresses to be held for the
moderator. I cannot see how to do this with mailman's current privacy
settings -- I had thought one could "whitelist" by domain at the
administrator interface level with a suitable regular expression, but
when I try restricting to list members and putting this into the
"addresses of members accepted for posting..." box it doesn't work.

When I try other ways, such as leaving the list open to any posters (or
rather not restrict posting to list members) together with negated
regular expression rules in either the "addresses always held for
approval..." or the "Hold posts...specific regexp" boxes (the specific
regexp patterns I've tried are various things like:

!.*@.*phy\.duke\.edu
or
from: !.*@.*phy\.duke\.edu
from: (?!.*@.*phy\.duke\.edu)

and a few others) THAT doesn't work either. I was intending this to
read as "headers that don't include from: something at something.duke.edu".

So I guess I have a question and/or suggestion:

Is there any way to do what I'm trying to do at this level of mailman
(that is, without hacking scripts or inserting procmail with suitable
rules but rather through a regexp in one of the privacy boxes)?

If not, how about:

Making the "always accepted" and "always held" list boxes accept
simple rexexp's e.g. .*@.*duke.edu (to accept or hold all duke.edu
postings, depending on which box it is in) or at least enabling them
to manage SOME sort of wildcard/domain level entries.

Adding the email of everybody on campus to one list or everybody in the
universe NOT on campus to the other list are not happy alternatives.

Even making the hold posts box (that already takes regexps) work with
negated regexps would do the trick, although the holds don't really take
place because of "suspicious headers" as explained in the hold message
to the poster.

Thanks!

rgb

--
Robert G. Brown http://www.phy.duke.edu/~rgb/
Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567 Fax: 919-660-2525 email:rgb at phy.duke.edu

Search Discussions

  • Richard Barrett at Jun 1, 2004 at 2:46 pm
    Assuming you are using MM 2.1.x

    I think you may have missed this in the help descriptions of the
    Sender Filters Privacy options fields:

    <quote>
    start the line with a ^ character to designate a regular expression
    match
    </quote>

    I would quess you want to say:

    in the accept_these_nonmembers field to allow postings from aliases on
    the duke.edu mail domain, or one of its sub-domains to pass unhindered.

    Phone: 1-919-660-2567 Fax: 919-660-2525 email:rgb at phy.duke.edu