Last week, I moved our mailman install to a different partition where we
have more space and so I could export it via nfs.

It is in /a1/mailman on the mail server. I nfs exported it so
that we could run the cgi's and access the archives from our
web server.

The new partition has quotas, but no users affiliated with mailman that
I'm aware of have quotas (root, mailman, web, etc).

Ever since this change, I have been receiving error messages from
mailman mentioning being over quota. I su'ed to mailman and created a
2GB file, so whatever problem is just not apparent from the OS. Inodes
are not a problem.

Here is one such error:

/usr/local/bin/python -S /nfs/mailserver/mailman/cron/checkdbs
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/nfs/mailserver/mailman/cron/checkdbs", line 178, in ?
main()
File "/nfs/mailserver/mailman/cron/checkdbs", line 116, in main
msg.send(mlist, **{'tomoderators': 1})
File "/nfs/mailserver/mailman/Mailman/Message.py", line 233, in send
self._enqueue(mlist, **_kws)
File "/nfs/mailserver/mailman/Mailman/Message.py", line 244, in
_enqueue
reduced_list_headers = 1,
File "/nfs/mailserver/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Switchboard.py", line 140,
in enqueue
os.rename(tmpfile, dbfile)
OSError: [Errno 49] Disc quota exceeded

Sometimes I get the following at the end as well:
IOError: [Errno 49] Disc quota exceeded:
'/nfs/mailserver/mailman/qfiles/virgin/1080572024.023294+cd84baf511cb85297459732fbb20d8efbdda234a.db.tmp'

I've seen similar quota messages from senddigests and 'disabled' cron
jobs.

I'm baffled. Does anyone have ideas?
Mailman 2.1.4 Solaris 8

thank you

Tom Lieuallen
Oregon State University
College of Engineering

Search Discussions

  • John W. Baxter at Mar 29, 2004 at 8:34 pm

    Last week, I moved our mailman install to a different partition where we
    have more space and so I could export it via nfs.

    It is in /a1/mailman on the mail server. I nfs exported it so
    that we could run the cgi's and access the archives from our
    web server.

    The new partition has quotas, but no users affiliated with mailman that
    I'm aware of have quotas (root, mailman, web, etc).

    Ever since this change, I have been receiving error messages from
    mailman mentioning being over quota. I su'ed to mailman and created a
    2GB file, so whatever problem is just not apparent from the OS. Inodes
    are not a problem.
    Is the new partition using reiserfs by any chance? I don't know whether
    Mailman works around the quirk that some versions of Reiser report 0 inodes
    available if asked how many are, rather than -1 (the -1 being essentially
    "that question doesn't make sense").

    I would think that Mailman does work around that by now, though. No hits in
    a quick search of the Mailman FAQ for the file system.

    --John
  • Tom Lieuallen at Mar 29, 2004 at 11:05 pm
    No, both are Solaris UFS file systems.

    Thanks

    Tom Lieuallen
    Is the new partition using reiserfs by any chance? I don't know whether
    Mailman works around the quirk that some versions of Reiser report 0 inodes
    available if asked how many are, rather than -1 (the -1 being essentially
    "that question doesn't make sense").

    I would think that Mailman does work around that by now, though. No hits in
    a quick search of the Mailman FAQ for the file system.

    --John
  • Tom Lieuallen at Mar 30, 2004 at 2:35 am
    Well, mailman is exonerated. :-)

    I am still 150% baffled, but the problem is not with mailman.
    Even with no quota or an exorbitantly large quota -- the problem
    persisted. At times, it was reproducible in a shell. Not mailman's
    problem. I suspect some bum solaris patches. :-(

    I finally shut everything down and moved it off the quota'ed
    file system. That ought to solve everything except my curiosity.

    Thanks for the suggestions...

    Tom Lieuallen
    College of Engineering

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedMar 29, '04 at 3:51p
activeMar 30, '04 at 2:35a
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Tom Lieuallen: 3 posts John W. Baxter: 1 post