Dear gurus,

I'm running Mailman 2.1.4 and Postfix 2.0.14
I don't use the Mailman-Postfix integration to auto generate aliases
yet. The question is how I can do that with my configuration.

The thing is that I pipe my list e-mail thru two different perl scripts
before Mailman gets into the action.

It looks like this in my Postfix aliases file:
test: "|/usr/local/mail2url/m2u324.pl|/usr/bin/2822htrim.pl [Test]
/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post test"
It works perfect, but I want my users to setup their own lists without
shell access and I really want to add the perl scripts to new lists. The
question is how to auto generate new aliases with my scripts?

Blue Skies,
/David

Search Discussions

  • Jon Carnes at Mar 13, 2004 at 8:04 pm

    I'm running Mailman 2.1.4 and Postfix 2.0.14
    I don't use the Mailman-Postfix integration to auto generate aliases
    yet. The question is how I can do that with my configuration.

    The thing is that I pipe my list e-mail thru two different perl scripts
    before Mailman gets into the action.

    It looks like this in my Postfix aliases file:
    test: "|/usr/local/mail2url/m2u324.pl|/usr/bin/2822htrim.pl [Test]
    /usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post test"
    It works perfect, but I want my users to setup their own lists without
    shell access and I really want to add the perl scripts to new lists. The
    question is how to auto generate new aliases with my scripts?

    Blue Skies,
    /David
    David,

    This is actually a no-brainer:

    - Setup the integration to the point where Mailman generates the alises
    in the file ~mailman/data/aliases.
    Don't add this file to your Postfix aliases map.

    - Run a cronjob or daemon that monitors the ~mailman/data/aliases file
    for a change and then take that diff - isolate the new list name

    - Have your Mailman alias checking program pump the new list into your
    aliases file with all your alias mods.

    If you are into hacking Mailman (and you should be!) you can simply add
    an exec to the end of the Mailman process that updates the Mailman
    aliases file - and forget about setting that off via cron (or a small
    daemon). At that point you can also simply pass in the name of the new
    list as a parameter to the exec and bypass the Mailman aliases file
    altogether.

    Good luck and happy hacking!

    Jon Carnes

groupmailman-users @