We just sent out a message to our employees. There calling because
they can't open the pdf attachment.

Looking at it, it looks like the .pdf part is missing from the
attachment name in the message. If you know what to do you can open
the attachment. But the browser does not know what to do with it and
most of our users don't either.

Is there a fix for this?

Suggestions, ideas?

====================
Kevin W. Gagel
Network Administrator
(250) 561-5848 local 448
(250) 562-2131 local 448

The College of New Caledonia, Visit us at http://www.cnc.bc.ca
Virus scanning is done on all incoming and outgoing email.

  • Gagel at Dec 22, 2003 at 9:57 pm
    I have not had any response on this. Does anyone have any info they
    can share with me on it?

    ----- Original Message Follows -----
    We just sent out a message to our employees. There calling because
    they can't open the pdf attachment.

    Looking at it, it looks like the .pdf part is missing from the
    attachment name in the message. If you know what to do you can open
    the attachment. But the browser does not know what to do with it and
    most of our users don't either.

    Is there a fix for this?

    Suggestions, ideas?

    ====================
    Kevin W. Gagel
    Network Administrator
    (250) 561-5848 local 448
    (250) 562-2131 local 448

    Searchable Archives:

    This message was sent to: gagel at cnc.bc.ca
    Unsubscribe or change your options at
    http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/mailman-users/gagel%40cnc.bc.ca

    ====================
    Kevin W. Gagel
    Network Administrator
    (250) 561-5848 local 448
    (250) 562-2131 local 448

    The College of New Caledonia, Visit us at http://www.cnc.bc.ca
    Virus scanning is done on all incoming and outgoing email.
  • Jon Carnes at Dec 23, 2003 at 3:02 am
    This *exact* problem was discussed in the archives awhile back. If
    memory serves me correctly the problem then was that the email client
    used a generic type of mime file type identifier rather than a more
    proper one that identified the file type properly as pdf.

    Mailman then treats this as a generic file and renames it with a generic
    extension. A patch was generated so that Mailman no longer changed the
    file extension. A look in the archives might prove useful to you.

    Jon Carnes

    This message was sent to: gagel at cnc.bc.ca

    This message was sent to: jonc at nc.rr.com
    Unsubscribe or change your options at
    http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/mailman-users/jonc%40nc.rr.com
  • Gagel at Dec 23, 2003 at 5:10 pm
    I tried searching the archives but found nothing about it. I guess my
    search terms were not good enough.

    It is not a problem with the mail client. I did debug tracing on the
    clients to see what was being passed before I submitted a bug report.
    The client identifies the attachment correctly as a pdf. The problem
    is that the length of the attachment name seems to be to long for
    mailman to process correctly.

    Sending an attachment called:
    "PRESIDENT'S NEWSLETTER NO. 2 - 2003-2004 ACADEMIC December.pdf"
    Results in one called:
    "PRESIDENT'S NEWSLETTER NO. 2 - 2003-2004 ACADEMIC"

    The recieving client can still open the missnamed attachment if they
    know what to select as a program to open it with. Its just that the
    extension is missing and that only happens after going through
    mailman. It does not happen if it is sent directly to a user.

    ----- Original Message Follows -----

    This message was sent to: gagel at cnc.bc.ca

    This message was sent to: jonc at nc.rr.com
    Unsubscribe or change your options at
    http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/mailman-users/jonc%40nc.rr.com

    ====================
    Kevin W. Gagel
    Network Administrator
    (250) 561-5848 local 448
    (250) 562-2131 local 448

    The College of New Caledonia, Visit us at http://www.cnc.bc.ca
    Virus scanning is done on all incoming and outgoing email.
  • Peter A. Solomon at Dec 23, 2003 at 5:51 pm

    This message was sent to: gagel at cnc.bc.ca

    This message was sent to: jonc at nc.rr.com
    Unsubscribe or change your options at
    http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/mailman-users/jonc%40nc.rr.com
    ====================
    Kevin W. Gagel
    Network Administrator
    (250) 561-5848 local 448
    (250) 562-2131 local 448
    Follow the thread [Mailman-Users] Attachments - PDF Issue in the Nov 2003
    archive and see if this is any help.

    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2003-November/032634.html
  • Jon Carnes at Dec 24, 2003 at 12:32 am

[...]

    As I recall this is also described in the archives... If my egg-nog
    clouded memory can be relied upon, the limit on the file name is
    somewhat arbitrary and you can easily hack the source so that it does
    not get truncated.

    This was also discussed at length in the archives, and the exact code to
    modify was clearly identified and tested. I think it was simply one
    line of code.

    It might be easier for you to trace down the renaming in the source code
    and make the mod yourself, than to find the thread in the archives
    (since it was more than a few months ago).

    Good Luck - Jon Carnes
  • Peter A. Solomon at Dec 24, 2003 at 1:52 am

    As I recall this is also described in the archives... If my egg-nog
    clouded memory can be relied upon, the limit on the file name is
    somewhat arbitrary and you can easily hack the source so that it does
    not get truncated.

    This was also discussed at length in the archives, and the
    exact code to
    modify was clearly identified and tested. I think it was simply one
    line of code.

    It might be easier for you to trace down the renaming in the
    source code
    and make the mod yourself, than to find the thread in the archives
    (since it was more than a few months ago).

    Good Luck - Jon Carnes
    Or he can try searching http://www.mail-archive.com as that goes a good way
    back and has search capabilities.

    Peter
  • Gagel at Dec 23, 2003 at 6:57 pm
    See below...

    This message was sent to: gagel at cnc.bc.ca

    This message was sent to: jonc at nc.rr.com
    Unsubscribe or change your options at
    http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/mailman-users/jonc%40nc.rr.com
    Follow the thread [Mailman-Users] Attachments - PDF Issue in the Nov
    2003 archive and see if this is any help.
    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2003-November/032634.html

    Read through the thread. No it didn't help. I change the filebase,
    ignore to filebase, ext like the thread indicated but I still end up
    with the same thing. The problem is the mailman handles the file name
    and the fact that users are using long file names. Its not a problem
    with the extention as I thought. Mailman drops the last part of the
    file name off, so a file name like this:
    PRESIDENT'S NEWSLETTER NO. 2 - 2003-2004 ACADEMIC December.pdf

    Becomes a file name like this:
    PRESIDENT'S NEWSLETTER NO. 2 - 2003-2004 ACADEMIC

    So the December.pdf part is lost. I've verified it is not a MUA
    problem by running tests in debug mode and checking what got sent to
    Mailman. It is in the attachment handling routine of mailman that the
    problem exists.

    ====================
    Kevin W. Gagel
    Network Administrator
    (250) 561-5848 local 448
    (250) 562-2131 local 448

    The College of New Caledonia, Visit us at http://www.cnc.bc.ca
    Virus scanning is done on all incoming and outgoing email.
  • Peter A. Solomon at Dec 24, 2003 at 12:13 am

[...]

    Have you tried a shorter attachment name, quite possible this is the result
    of a limitation in the length of your attachments name? I would also remove
    the apostrophe from "PRESIDENT'S" and especially the Period after "NO." as
    this might also be causing a problem.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedDec 18, '03 at 7:12p