I've been made-aware that as well as indexing pipermail public html
archives, google indexes all the raw mbox files too:

http://www.google.com/search?q=pipermail+mbox+X-Mailman-Version

These are also a resource for email-address harvesters, so I've
configured apache to redirect these requests to the private
archives:

RedirectMatch permanent ^/pipermail/(.+)\.mbox/(.+)\.mbox$ http://example.com/mailman/private/$1.mbox/$2.mbox

Can anyone see anything wrong with this approach?

..or should mailman be modified to allow only authenticated user
access to the mbox archives?

--
Bruno

Search Discussions