I have (apparently) successfully set up Mailman 2.1.3 on my server (RedHat, Sendmail). When I create a new list, a notification goes out to the list owner, and that's fine. However I assume another email should be sent to me (as the mailman administrator) letting me know that the list was created and listing the alises needed to be added to the /etc/aliases file - but I'm not getting that email.
From the REAMDE:
- NOTE: If you are using an MTA other than Exim or Postfix
(e.g. Sendmail or qmail), then you'll need to do the extra step
of installing the mailing list aliases manually. Follow the
instructions in an email message that you should have received
(you'll need to know how to do this for your particular MTA, see
the README for your MTA for more information).

I can't find any more information on where this email should be sent to.
Is my understanding of what should happen right? What have I not set up correctly?

This seems like a related problem - at the bottom of the list creation email sent to the owner of the list is an email address "if you have any problems email mailman-admin at ....". When I try email that address I get a message sent to "mailman-owner at ..." with subject "Uncaught bounce notification". I have set up the aliases for the mailman list and the 'list administrator', of the mailman list is me. What is the difference between mailman-owner and mailman-admin? Where should those addresses come from. Why does an email to mailman-owner bounce?

Thanks for any help!

Raewyn.

Search Discussions

  • Jim Drash at Nov 5, 2003 at 3:11 am
    It is a bad assumption. Mailman only sends and e-mail to the list owner.

    Raewyn Smith wrote:
    I have (apparently) successfully set up Mailman 2.1.3 on my server (RedHat, Sendmail). When I create a new list, a notification goes out to the list owner, and that's fine. However I assume another email should be sent to me (as the mailman administrator) letting me know that the list was created and listing the alises needed to be added to the /etc/aliases file - but I'm not getting that email.
    From the REAMDE:

    This message was sent to: jim at jimdrash.com
    Unsubscribe or change your options at
    http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/mailman-users/jim%40jimdrash.com
  • Raewyn Smith at Nov 5, 2003 at 8:25 pm
    Thanks Jim for you reply.
    So if a new list is created by anyone other than me, I have no way of knowing about it so I can change the aliases file?
    I am still puzzled by what the README file says - "... you'll need to do the extra step of installing the mailing list aliases manually. Follow the instructions in an email message that you should have received." I now assume (let me know if I am on the right track here) that the email referred to there is the one sent to the new list-owner. But even in that message, there is no mention of any aliases.

    Thanks,
    Raewyn.
    Jim Drash <jim at jimdrash.com> 5/11/03 4:11:46 p.m. >>>

    Raewyn Smith wrote:
    I have (apparently) successfully set up Mailman 2.1.3 on my server (RedHat, Sendmail). When I create a new list, a notification goes out to the list owner, and that's fine. However I assume another email should be sent to me (as the mailman administrator) letting me know that the list was created and listing the alises needed to be added to the /etc/aliases file - but I'm not getting that email.
    From the REAMDE:

    This message was sent to: jim at jimdrash.com
    Unsubscribe or change your options at
    http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/mailman-users/jim%40jimdrash.com