  • Skip Montanaro at Oct 20, 2003 at 4:48 pm
    email looping - autoresponders - how to stop it?
    I don't know if Mailman has any capability in this area. You can push
    things through procmail though and have it control the generation of the
    automatic response. I have a non-Mailman email alias which I manage this
    way. Its procmailrc file has a rule like this:

    ALTFROM=smontanaro at yahoo.com
    MY_XLOOP="X-Loop: ${ALTFROM}"
    FORMAIL=/usr/bin/formail
    SENDMAIL=/usr/sbin/sendmail

    :0 Whc: reply.lock
    * !^FROM_DAEMON
    * !^$MY_XLOOP
    $FORMAIL -rD 65536 $HOME/.msg.cache
    :0 ehc # if the name was not in the cache
    ($FORMAIL -rA"Precedence: junk" -A"$MY_XLOOP" ; \
    cat .../auto-reply.txt) | $SENDMAIL -oi -t

    A shell script in /etc/cron.weekly deletes the .msg.cache file, thus nobody
    gets the auto-response more than once a week.

    Skip

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedOct 19, '03 at 10:45p
activeOct 20, '03 at 4:48p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Walter Jones: 1 post Skip Montanaro: 1 post