Version of Mailman: 2.1.2
Installed from source
Version of OS: SuSE 8.0
MTA: Sendmail

I have used
http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.014.htp as
guide in trying to track down my problem, but it seems to be a mystery.

0. Ran check_perms - no problem
1. Checked out grep for cron and mailmanctl no problem
2. Check aliases as written in faq - problem wrapper came back to majordomo.
Substituted mailman for wrapper and all of the aliases appeared and pointed
to the proper place.
3. Checked for Smrsh - no smrsh
4. Interface. No problem currently running production mail server.
5. qrunner does not appear to be a problem. Checked the qrunner log and
there are commands in it for ArchRunner, CommandRunner, BounceRunner,
IncomingRunner, VirginRunner, NewsRunner, and OutgoingRunner
6. Locks - Checked out and running process matched
7. Logs - The mail log looks good. It shows the incoming from me and to the
list.
Started checking Mailman logs:
error - empty
smtp-failure - doesn't exist
smtp - I don't believe looks right. There are messages when I set up the
list, but none from when I sent in the test message
vette - doesn't exist
config - doesn't exist
post - doesn't exist
qrunner - as I stated earlier, no visible problems. No locking problems,
etc.
8. Qfiles - all directories are empty

What other information do I need to provide? I'm able to add users, modify
the different list configuration files, etc. through the web interface. I
can even upload batch mass subscriptions and get the responses back.

The one primary thing that I've noticed is that it returns the email to the
list back to me without the [xxxxx-list] on the front. No error message -
nothing.

Hopefully, someone can help find the forest for the trees.

Thanks,

Frank

Search Discussions

  • Jon Carnes at Sep 19, 2003 at 3:12 am
    Wow! I think that is the best problem ticket I've ever seen for
    mailman.

    You checked cron, so you are not running qrunner out of cron. You *are*
    running Mailmanctl which starts up the qrunners.

    The aliases should be taking the incoming mail and handing them off to
    cgi's that either handle the incoming mail or stuff it into a queue (to
    be handled by one of the qrunners).

    If you've checked the mail logs, and they show that they delivered mail
    to the lists (and handed it off to the cgi "post"), but the mail is not
    showing up in the queues, then it sounds like there is a problem with
    sendmail executing the "post" cgi.

    Try this...
    - turn off the Mailman daemon: mailmanctl stop

    - send a message to one of your mailman lists:
    echo "i'm gumby dammit" |mail -s "test from gumby" test at localhost

    - look in the Sendmail logs to see that it was accepted (one entry) and
    delivered (another entry):
    === tail /var/log/maillog ==Sep 18 22:58:36 Anncons4 sendmail[3241]: h8J2wahH003241:
    to=test at localhost, ctladdr=root (0/0), delay�:00:00, xdelay�:00:00,
    mailer=relay, pri0046, relay=[127.0.0.1] [127.0.0.1], dsn=2.0.0,
    stat=Sent (h8J2wam8003243 Message accepted for delivery)
    ==Sep 18 22:58:36 Anncons4 sendmail[3244]: h8J2wam8003243:
    to="|/var/mailman/mail/mailman post test",
    ctladdr=(8/0), delay�:00:00,
    xdelay�:00:00, mailer=prog, pri0599, dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent
    =====
    - then examine the aliases file and make sure the alias for the list
    looks like:
    test: "|/var/mailman/mail/mailman post test"

    - Now look in the queue files:
    cd /var/mailman/qfiles/in
    ls
    1063940316.823126+7e222a98096d06bd97f15e251156679fdb034db8.db
    1063940316.823126+7e222a98096d06bd97f15e251156679fdb034db8.msg
    ###
    ### The *.msg file should contain text of your message###

    If that much is working, then your aliases are properly setup and
    working with Sendmail. The Mailman version 2.1 cgi "post" is working as
    well and placing messages into the inbound Mailman queue for processing.

    If you are getting messages into the inbound queue, the next step is to
    startup Mailman: mailmanctl start
    Then check the queues to make sure that they have been processed by
    qrunner. The logs should show any errors or warnings at this point.

    Good Luck - Jon Carnes

    This message was sent to: jonc at nc.rr.com
    Unsubscribe or change your options at
    http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/mailman-users/jonc%40nc.rr.com
  • Frank L. Parks at Sep 19, 2003 at 1:02 pm
    Jon,

    Thank you for the reply. I just realized by going through this exercise
    that I didn't have the aliases for test at ezbizpartner.com to test and this
    was why it was coming straight to me (I'm the garbage collector). Bad
    Frank. In other words read #2 below for aliases for Sendmail
    (http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&fileúq03.014.htp)
    virtual domains.

    I put in the above alias pair and now things are going wrong, but at least
    I'm getting some messages.

    Mail log:

    Group mismatch error. Mailman expected the mail

    wrapper script to be executed as group "mailman", but

    the system's mail server executed the mail script as

    group "daemon". Try tweaking the mail server to run the

    script as group "mailman", or re-run configure,

    providing the command line option `--with-mail-gidÚemon'.

    554 5.3.0 unknown mailer error 2

    OK. No major problem (I hope).

    Ran the configure with the above option

    Went to /usr/local/ and changed mailman to the daemon group id (see install
    instructions for those of you who may wondering where that came from) - also
    see check_param up next.

    Did the make install

    cd /usr/local/mailman/bin

    ./check_param -f (per install instructions)

    Oops 1574 errors

    ./check_param -f (per install instructions)

    No problems found

    Reran the test to test at ezbizpartner.com and surprise, surprise it worked.

    Showing me the detail and the additional debugging techniques helped me out
    tremendously. I really appreciate it. Once I was able to get error
    message, I could track down the rest. You stare at the problem too long and
    your brain freezes (or at least turns to the consistency of slush in my
    case).

    Thanks,

    Frank

    BTW, I appreciate the compliment about the detail in the problem ticket. I
    hate people not giving me enough information and then expect me to divine an
    answer (amateurs). I stated that I followed the faq page and I should give
    out the results of exactly what I did. Unfortunately, I missed the part
    about checking Sendmail for virtual domains (trying to work against a
    deadline isn't be an excuse just a fact). Again thanks. My problem was
    that I was seeing the forwarding to me (I'm also on the list) and I thought
    it was doing the forwarding and it was doing default routing. Now I have to
    go and setup all of the other missing aliases.

    Searchable Archives:

    This message was sent to: jonc at nc.rr.com
    Unsubscribe or change your options at
    http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/mailman-users/jonc%40nc.rr.com

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedSep 18, '03 at 9:25p
activeSep 19, '03 at 1:02p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Frank L. Parks: 2 posts Jon Carnes: 1 post