I'm new to Mailman and I'm having a major problem getting it to start.

I had it setup and working and then I needed to reboot the server for a
kernel upgrade.

Now when I start mailman it causes python to burn 100% CPU until mailman
is stopped.

logs show nothing out of the ordinary.

logs/qrunner
Sep 11 12:20:40 2003 (4450) ArchRunner qrunner started.
Sep 11 12:20:40 2003 (4452) CommandRunner qrunner started.
Sep 11 12:20:40 2003 (4453) IncomingRunner qrunner started.
Sep 11 12:20:40 2003 (4451) BounceRunner qrunner started.
Sep 11 12:20:40 2003 (4455) OutgoingRunner qrunner started.
Sep 11 12:20:40 2003 (4456) VirginRunner qrunner started.
Sep 11 12:20:40 2003 (4454) NewsRunner qrunner started.

Nothing in syslog either.

I ran check_perms and everything checks out fine.

check_db -va though shows some errors:

List: announce
/usr/local/mailman/lists/announce/config.pck: okay
/usr/local/mailman/lists/announce/config.pck.last: okay
[Errno 2] No such file or directory:
'/usr/local/mailman/lists/announce/config.db'
[Errno 2] No such file or directory:
'/usr/local/mailman/lists/announce/config.db.last'
List: mailman
/usr/local/mailman/lists/mailman/config.pck: okay
/usr/local/mailman/lists/mailman/config.pck.last: okay
[Errno 2] No such file or directory:
'/usr/local/mailman/lists/mailman/config.db'
[Errno 2] No such file or directory:
'/usr/local/mailman/lists/mailman/config.db.last'

Could this be the problem? Are those files critical? If so, what
happened to those files? How can they be re-created?

I've hit a brick wall here. With nothing being logged I don't know where
to go from here.

Thanks for any help.

--
John Lange
BigHostBox.com ltd
(204) 885 0872
Toll free: 1-866-690-8297

Search Discussions

  • Jon Carnes at Sep 11, 2003 at 7:27 pm
    I don't think those errors mean too much (unless you upgraded and it
    hasn't finished the upgrade...)

    If your MTA is Postfix, be sure that you have followed all the advise in
    the README.POSTFIX file. Specifically make sure that local bounces are
    not set to a 4xx error code (which means retry and retry and retry and
    retry.....you get the idea).

    Other than that, you might want to turn off archiving for the nonce and
    see if that helps. Some slower servers with IDE drives have a very hard
    time with this - especially if they don't have enough RAM.

    Those are the two biggest causes of CPU over-run.

    Best of Luck - Jon Carnes
    On Thu, 2003-09-11 at 13:27, John Lange wrote:
    I'm new to Mailman and I'm having a major problem getting it to start.

    I had it setup and working and then I needed to reboot the server for a
    kernel upgrade.

    Now when I start mailman it causes python to burn 100% CPU until mailman
    is stopped.

    logs show nothing out of the ordinary.

    logs/qrunner
    Sep 11 12:20:40 2003 (4450) ArchRunner qrunner started.
    Sep 11 12:20:40 2003 (4452) CommandRunner qrunner started.
    Sep 11 12:20:40 2003 (4453) IncomingRunner qrunner started.
    Sep 11 12:20:40 2003 (4451) BounceRunner qrunner started.
    Sep 11 12:20:40 2003 (4455) OutgoingRunner qrunner started.
    Sep 11 12:20:40 2003 (4456) VirginRunner qrunner started.
    Sep 11 12:20:40 2003 (4454) NewsRunner qrunner started.

    Nothing in syslog either.

    I ran check_perms and everything checks out fine.

    check_db -va though shows some errors:

    List: announce
    /usr/local/mailman/lists/announce/config.pck: okay
    /usr/local/mailman/lists/announce/config.pck.last: okay
    [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
    '/usr/local/mailman/lists/announce/config.db'
    [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
    '/usr/local/mailman/lists/announce/config.db.last'
    List: mailman
    /usr/local/mailman/lists/mailman/config.pck: okay
    /usr/local/mailman/lists/mailman/config.pck.last: okay
    [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
    '/usr/local/mailman/lists/mailman/config.db'
    [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
    '/usr/local/mailman/lists/mailman/config.db.last'

    Could this be the problem? Are those files critical? If so, what
    happened to those files? How can they be re-created?

    I've hit a brick wall here. With nothing being logged I don't know where
    to go from here.

    Thanks for any help.
  • John Lange at Sep 11, 2003 at 8:47 pm
    I think I have the problem solved. Acting on a hunch from what Jon Carns
    said about the postfix configuration I completely stopped postfix and
    restarted it.

    Previously I had simply done a postfix reload.

    Just for the benefit of anyone reading this thread in the future, I
    believe the setting that made the difference was in postfix/main.cf. I
    added "localhost" to the following line.

    # RECEIVING MAIL
    inet_interfaces = <MY IP>, localhost

    Some time before I rebooted I had changed this from the default to
    restrict postfix to listening to only a single IP instead of every IP on
    the system (I had forgotten that I needed localhost).

    The docs say "Note: you need to stop/start Postfix when this parameter
    changes." In my haste I had missed that note and just did a reload
    instead of a stop/start therefore postfix was still listening on
    localhost and mailman worked fine until I rebooted.

    On the flip side I still did not see the note when I added localhost
    back in and again failed to do a stop/start.... *sigh*

    Clearly my fault for not reading the docs but if any developers are
    reading this; my recommendation would be that mailman should report a
    failed connection attempt to localhost as a serious problem and log it
    in syslog, or at the very minimum it's own logs. quietly burning 100%
    CPU should not be acceptable.

    The only reason I even noticed something was wrong at all was because I
    run a remote gkrellm client on my desktop for the server. Without that
    it probably would have been burning away for days or weeks before I
    happened to check top or something.

    It is also not clear to me why this would cause 100% CPU burn on startup
    since I wasn't sending anything to any lists at the time. Perhaps
    something was still queued ?

    Thanks to those who responded.

    John Lange
    On Thu, 2003-09-11 at 14:27, Jon Carnes wrote:
    I don't think those errors mean too much (unless you upgraded and it
    hasn't finished the upgrade...)

    If your MTA is Postfix, be sure that you have followed all the advise in
    the README.POSTFIX file. Specifically make sure that local bounces are
    not set to a 4xx error code (which means retry and retry and retry and
    retry.....you get the idea).

    Other than that, you might want to turn off archiving for the nonce and
    see if that helps. Some slower servers with IDE drives have a very hard
    time with this - especially if they don't have enough RAM.

    Those are the two biggest causes of CPU over-run.

    Best of Luck - Jon Carnes
    On Thu, 2003-09-11 at 13:27, John Lange wrote:
    I'm new to Mailman and I'm having a major problem getting it to start.

    I had it setup and working and then I needed to reboot the server for a
    kernel upgrade.

    Now when I start mailman it causes python to burn 100% CPU until mailman
    is stopped.

    logs show nothing out of the ordinary.

    logs/qrunner
    Sep 11 12:20:40 2003 (4450) ArchRunner qrunner started.
    Sep 11 12:20:40 2003 (4452) CommandRunner qrunner started.
    Sep 11 12:20:40 2003 (4453) IncomingRunner qrunner started.
    Sep 11 12:20:40 2003 (4451) BounceRunner qrunner started.
    Sep 11 12:20:40 2003 (4455) OutgoingRunner qrunner started.
    Sep 11 12:20:40 2003 (4456) VirginRunner qrunner started.
    Sep 11 12:20:40 2003 (4454) NewsRunner qrunner started.

    Nothing in syslog either.

    I ran check_perms and everything checks out fine.

    check_db -va though shows some errors:

    List: announce
    /usr/local/mailman/lists/announce/config.pck: okay
    /usr/local/mailman/lists/announce/config.pck.last: okay
    [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
    '/usr/local/mailman/lists/announce/config.db'
    [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
    '/usr/local/mailman/lists/announce/config.db.last'
    List: mailman
    /usr/local/mailman/lists/mailman/config.pck: okay
    /usr/local/mailman/lists/mailman/config.pck.last: okay
    [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
    '/usr/local/mailman/lists/mailman/config.db'
    [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
    '/usr/local/mailman/lists/mailman/config.db.last'

    Could this be the problem? Are those files critical? If so, what
    happened to those files? How can they be re-created?

    I've hit a brick wall here. With nothing being logged I don't know where
    to go from here.

    Thanks for any help.
  • Jon Carnes at Sep 11, 2003 at 9:36 pm

    On Thu, 2003-09-11 at 16:47, John Lange wrote:
    my recommendation would be that mailman should report a
    failed connection attempt to localhost as a serious problem and log it
    in syslog, or at the very minimum it's own logs. quietly burning 100%
    CPU should not be acceptable.
    Quite right! This is already in the CVS version and will be in included
    in the next major release.

    Don't you love Open Source? I know I do!

    Jon Carnes

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedSep 11, '03 at 5:27p
activeSep 11, '03 at 9:36p
posts4
users2
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

John Lange: 2 posts Jon Carnes: 2 posts

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2021 Grokbase