I've got ht://dig working nicely, but I get an error message each time the
nightly cron job runs:

From: root@svr01.thcwd.com (Cron Daemon)
To: mailman at svr01.thcwd.com
Subject: Cron <mailman at svr01> /usr/local/bin/python2.2 -S
/usr/local/mailman/cron/nightly_htdig

/bin/sort: /opt/www/htdig/db/sort99SAvz: Permission denied
htmerge: Word sort failed

/bin/sort: /opt/www/htdig/db/sortTjcbiZ: Permission denied
htmerge: Word sort failed

The cron job and /opt/www/htdig/db/ both have the permissions
root:mailman . The /opt/www/htdig/db/ has no files in it. My
/opt/www/htdig/conf/htdig.conf reads:

database_dir: /opt/www/htdig/db

My individual list folders
(../mailman/archives/private/<LISTNAME>/htdig/) have the proper files and
they update correctly. Everything seems to run correctly. Is this
ht://dig "going back to it's roots" and trying to do something I have no
need for?

<>< Paul

Search Discussions

  • Richard Barrett at Aug 28, 2003 at 9:48 pm
    Paul
    I've got ht://dig working nicely, but I get an error message each time
    the nightly cron job runs:

    /bin/sort: /opt/www/htdig/db/sort99SAvz: Permission denied
    htmerge: Word sort failed

    /bin/sort: /opt/www/htdig/db/sortTjcbiZ: Permission denied
    htmerge: Word sort failed

    The cron job and /opt/www/htdig/db/ both have the permissions
    root:mailman . The /opt/www/htdig/db/ has no files in it. My
    /opt/www/htdig/conf/htdig.conf reads:

    database_dir: /opt/www/htdig/db
    When rundig is executed by nightly_htdig it uses the -c option so that
    the per-list htdig configuration file found as
    $prefix/archives/private/<listname>/htdig/<listname>.conf is used.
    My individual list folders
    (../mailman/archives/private/<LISTNAME>/htdig/) have the proper files
    and they update correctly. Everything seems to run correctly. Is
    this ht://dig "going back to it's roots" and trying to do something I
    have no need for?
    Take a look at the /opt/www/htdig/bin/rundig shell script.

    My rundig, as installed by the standard htdig 3.1.6 build default,
    takes the default $DBDIR from the build and nominates it as the $TMPDIR
    when running htmerge. This probably explains why htmerge is using that
    directory for temporary sort files.

    Why you are seeing the permissions failure if the cron job is being run
    from the mailman uid's crontab, and if that uid has write permissions
    over the /opt/www/htdig/db directory, is more of a mystery. You could
    try modifying the rundig script to try using another area like /tmp
    (but note the cautions in the rundig script's comments) and see if that
    resolves the problem.

    Richard
    <>< Paul
    Richard Barrett http://www.openinfo.co.uk

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedAug 28, '03 at 7:27p
activeAug 28, '03 at 9:48p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Paul H Byerly: 1 post Richard Barrett: 1 post