I am using Mailman 2.1.1 on RedHat 8.0.

I want to use the Approved: header and am having trouble getting it to
work. I tried replying to the message with Approved: list password but it
generates another bounce processing message. If I do this what will keep
the rest of the list from learning my list password?

Also can I use the redirect to send it to another address? Sometimes we
have people send to the master list when it should go to a sublist. Can I
use redirect in my email client to send to the other list?

Thanks,

Bruce

Bruce Edward Embrey : Linux Systems Manager
Campus Email Admin : UNIX / Linux Administrator
Hood College : embrey at hood.edu : Phone (301)696-3927

Search Discussions

  • John DeCarlo at Aug 18, 2003 at 7:18 pm
    Bruce,

    Bruce Embrey wrote:
    I want to use the Approved: header and am having trouble getting it to
    work. I tried replying to the message with Approved: list password but
    it generates another bounce processing message. If I do this what will
    keep the rest of the list from learning my list password?
    Can you be more specific about what happens?

    In other words, Mailman sends the moderators a message with two
    attachments. The first attachment is the original message. The second
    attachment is the email message that you need to reply to for approval
    or discarding.

    So, are you replying to the message from listname-owner (moderation
    request) or from listname-request (subject is confirm ...)?

    Are you making sure that the very first line of the body is Approved:?
    Very few email clients let you insert a new header line. Some will put
    a blank line between the header information and the body, which will
    make it impossible for you to approve the message with that email client.
    Also can I use the redirect to send it to another address? Sometimes we
    have people send to the master list when it should go to a sublist. Can
    I use redirect in my email client to send to the other list?
    I don't know what email client you are using or what the redirect option
    on it does.

    --

    John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own
  • Bruce Embrey at Aug 18, 2003 at 7:37 pm

    After I reply by placing Approved:password on the first line of the reply,
    it sends me another bounce message which contains the original, 1st bounce
    message, and the 2nd bounced message. There are no attachments but they are
    contained within the body of the message.

    My address is the listowner and moderator and is listed as embrey at hood.edu.
    Here is the bounce message:
    The attached message was received as a bounce, but either the bounce
    format was not recognized, or no member addresses could be extracted
    from it. This mailing list has been configured to send all
    unrecognized bounce messages to the list administrator(s).

    When I reply it is sent to mailman-bounces, and it generates another bounce
    message. I am using Eudora which has a redirect option. The from field
    looks loike this on a redirection:

    From: mailman-bounces at helios.hood.edu (by way of Bruce Embrey
    <embrey at hood.edu>)

    I can save the message and send it if needed.

    Bruce Embrey

[...]

  • John DeCarlo at Aug 18, 2003 at 7:42 pm
    Bruce,

    Let's start with whether you are replying correctly.

    When you reply to the moderation message, what ends up on your To: line?
    If you are sending to the wrong address, clearly the wrong thing will
    happen.

    --

    John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own
  • Bruce Embrey at Aug 18, 2003 at 7:48 pm

    When I reply, mailman-bounces at helios.hood.edu is what is on the To: line.

    This message was sent to: embrey at hood.edu
    Unsubscribe or change your options at
    http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/mailman-users/embrey%40hood.edu
    Bruce Edward Embrey : Linux Systems Manager
    Campus Email Admin : UNIX / Linux Administrator
    Hood College : embrey at hood.edu : Phone (301)696-3927
  • John DeCarlo at Aug 18, 2003 at 8:05 pm
    Bruce,

    You need to reply to the email from "mailman-request at helios.hood.edu" to
    Approve a message held for moderation.

    If you can't reply to an attachment (many email clients can't), you will
    have to create a message to "mailman-request at helios.hood.edu" and copy
    the Subject: of the second attached message (starts with "confirm" and
    ends with a long string of alphanumerics). This long string is how
    Mailman knows which message you are approving or discarding.

    Then, if you get the right To: and Subject:, having the first line of
    Approve: list password should work.

    Bruce Embrey wrote:
    John,

    When I reply, mailman-bounces at helios.hood.edu is what is on the To: line.
    --

    John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedAug 18, '03 at 6:26p
activeAug 18, '03 at 8:05p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

John DeCarlo: 3 posts Bruce Embrey: 3 posts