I'm new to mailman and have everything setup except for one problem.
I've tried searching the archives but didn't find my resolution.

I have it installed (version 2.1.2) and created a list. It seems fine
except that some of the links in the forms are not using my domain
settings, rather that have an IP address in the URL like, 192.168.1.99.
For example, when you try to subscribe the Subscribe button tries to
post to the IP address rather than the domain.

I've tried setting the defaults for HOST and URL in defaults.py, but
still can't get it fixed.

Can anyone tell me what I might be missing?

Thanks,
James

Search Discussions

  • Richard Barrett at Aug 6, 2003 at 6:56 pm
    See:

    http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.029.htp

    and in particular the comment under the heading 'Existing versus new
    lists'
    I'm new to mailman and have everything setup except for one problem.
    I've tried searching the archives but didn't find my resolution.

    I have it installed (version 2.1.2) and created a list. It seems fine
    except that some of the links in the forms are not using my domain
    settings, rather that have an IP address in the URL like, 192.168.1.99.
    For example, when you try to subscribe the Subscribe button tries to
    post to the IP address rather than the domain.

    I've tried setting the defaults for HOST and URL in defaults.py, but
    still can't get it fixed.

    Can anyone tell me what I might be missing?

    Thanks,
    James
    Richard Barrett http://www.openinfo.co.uk
  • James Pifer at Aug 7, 2003 at 12:49 am
    Thanks, worked like a champ.

    Now my next problem after fixing that one. Looks like the messages are
    getting stuck in the "virgin" directory? I'm using Sendmail and not sure
    I've done everything I need to do. I do have the aliases set up assuming
    I did it correctly.

    I have not search the archives on this one yet, but I will.

    Thanks for the help.
    James
    and in particular the comment under the heading 'Existing versus new
    lists'
    I'm new to mailman and have everything setup except for one problem.
    I've tried searching the archives but didn't find my resolution.

    I have it installed (version 2.1.2) and created a list. It seems fine
    except that some of the links in the forms are not using my domain
    settings, rather that have an IP address in the URL like, 192.168.1.99.
    For example, when you try to subscribe the Subscribe button tries to
    post to the IP address rather than the domain.

    I've tried setting the defaults for HOST and URL in defaults.py, but
    still can't get it fixed.

    Can anyone tell me what I might be missing?

    Thanks,
    James
    Richard Barrett http://www.openinfo.co.uk
  • Richard Barrett at Aug 7, 2003 at 6:45 am

    Now my next problem after fixing that one. Looks like the messages are
    getting stuck in the "virgin" directory?
    Have you started Mailman's qrunner daemons by executing
    $prefix/bin/mailmanctl start?
[...]

  • James Pifer at Aug 7, 2003 at 1:04 pm
    No I hadn't started that. Is that something I should add to rc.local so
    it starts every time the box is restarted?

    Something is still screwed up in my Sendmail config. I tried to post a
    message to my new list and got the following:

    "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post stoneware-users"
    (reason: Service unavailable)
    (expanded from: <stoneware-users at obrien-pifer.com>)

    smrsh: "mailman" not available for sendmail programs (stat failed)
    554 5.0.0 Service unavailable
    ----

    Thanks,
    James

[...]

  • Richard Barrett at Aug 7, 2003 at 1:58 pm
    I can only assume that you haven't read all of the notes in the INSTALL
    and README.SENDMAIL documentation files in the Mailman build directory.

    If that is because you did not install from source then I suggest you
    download the MM source distribution from:

    http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id3

    and unpack it to get at those two files.
    No I hadn't started that. Is that something I should add to rc.local so
    it starts every time the box is restarted?
    Covered in the INSTALL file
    Something is still screwed up in my Sendmail config. I tried to post a
    message to my new list and got the following:

    "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post stoneware-users"
    (reason: Service unavailable)
    (expanded from: <stoneware-users at obrien-pifer.com>)

    smrsh: "mailman" not available for sendmail programs (stat failed)
    554 5.0.0 Service unavailable
    ----
    Covered in the README.SENDMAIL file
    Thanks,
    James

[...]

    Searchable Archives:

    This message was sent to: r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
    Unsubscribe or change your options at
    http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/mailman-users/
    r.barrett%40openinfo.co.uk
  • James Pifer at Aug 7, 2003 at 3:11 pm
    Actually I did look those over, but someone on another list (before
    joining this one) told me I didn't need to do all that. Obviously they
    were mistaken.

    I looked it over again and not being a sendmail expert I'm uncomfortable
    with the changes since this is my main mail server running MailScanner,
    etc. So I'm going to try putting it on another machine.

    Let me ask you this, more of a sendmail question. If I install Mailman
    on another machine, could I have it use the same domain, and have my
    main Sendmail server forward email for specific addresses, like lists,
    to this other mailman server? Would that work? The mailman server would
    be able to deliver directly.

    Also, if I do it on another machine, should I use something other than
    Sendmail? Are any of the others easier to integrate? From the files it
    looks like postfix.

    Thanks for your time.
    James

    This message was sent to: r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
    Unsubscribe or change your options at
    http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/mailman-users/
    r.barrett%40openinfo.co.uk
  • Richard Barrett at Aug 7, 2003 at 3:39 pm