I am trying to set up mailman on through a virtual domain. I have the
everything working except that no mail is going out. I set masquerading
with:

MASQUERADE_AS(`neighborsunited.org')dnl
FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl

in sendmail.

I have looked through the faq and all of the obvious stuff is working
(alaises, qrunner, etc...) I am getting a repeated error message in
/var/log/exim/mainlog that reads:

2003-08-06 10:48:31 H=localhost.forestry.umn.edu
(lorax.forestry.umn.edu) [::1] sender verify defer for
<testlist-bounces at neighborsunited.net>: remote host address is the local
host

Does anyone recognize this error

Thanks

Kirk

Search Discussions

  • Kirk R. Wythers at Aug 6, 2003 at 5:36 pm
    I need to configure exim for a virtual domain. The uname of my machine
    in lorax.forestry.umn.edu, the virtual domain that I want to run mailman
    to/from is neighborsunited.net.

    Here is the exim log error:
    2003-08-06 12:14:53 remote host address is the local host:
    neighborsunited.net (while verifying
    <testlist-bounces at neighborsunited.net> from
    host localhost.forestry.umn.edu (lorax.forestry.umn.edu) [::1])

    If I add the domain neighborsunited.net as the primary hostname, will
    that take care of it?

    # primary_hostname =
    primary_hostname = neighborsunited.net

    or do I also need something here?

    domainlist local_domains = @
    domainlist relay_to_domains =
    hostlist relay_from_hosts = localhost

    Lastly, how does one HUP exim?

    Thanks
  • Richard Barrett at Aug 6, 2003 at 5:59 pm
    As your problem at this juncture seems to be more Exim related than
    Mailman ...

    A google search for 'Exim "remote host address is the local host"'

    threw up these, which may be relevant:

    http://www.exim.org/pipermail/exim-users/Week-of-Mon-20011022/
    031433.html

    http://exim.stanford.edu/exim-html-4.20/doc/html/FAQ_3.html

    The Exim mailing lists (Mailman managed of course :) are here linked
    from:

    http://www.exim.org/
    I need to configure exim for a virtual domain. The uname of my machine
    in lorax.forestry.umn.edu, the virtual domain that I want to run
    mailman
    to/from is neighborsunited.net.

    Here is the exim log error:
    2003-08-06 12:14:53 remote host address is the local host:
    neighborsunited.net (while verifying
    <testlist-bounces at neighborsunited.net> from
    host localhost.forestry.umn.edu (lorax.forestry.umn.edu) [::1])

    If I add the domain neighborsunited.net as the primary hostname, will
    that take care of it?

    # primary_hostname =
    primary_hostname = neighborsunited.net

    or do I also need something here?

    domainlist local_domains = @
    domainlist relay_to_domains =
    hostlist relay_from_hosts = localhost

    Lastly, how does one HUP exim?

    Thanks
    Richard Barrett http://www.openinfo.co.uk
  • Nigel Metheringham at Aug 7, 2003 at 8:21 am

    I need to configure exim for a virtual domain. The uname of my machine
    in lorax.forestry.umn.edu, the virtual domain that I want to run mailman
    to/from is neighborsunited.net.

    Here is the exim log error:
    2003-08-06 12:14:53 remote host address is the local host:
    neighborsunited.net (while verifying
    <testlist-bounces at neighborsunited.net> from
    host localhost.forestry.umn.edu (lorax.forestry.umn.edu) [::1])
    So you basically have an exim problem. You might well do better asking
    on the exim lists - see
    http://www.exim.org/mailman/listinfo
    If I add the domain neighborsunited.net as the primary hostname, will
    that take care of it?
    No. primary_hostname is whats used in the HELO lines and Received:
    tracking lines.
    # primary_hostname =
    primary_hostname = neighborsunited.net

    or do I also need something here?

    domainlist local_domains = @
    domainlist relay_to_domains =
    hostlist relay_from_hosts = localhost

    Lastly, how does one HUP exim?
    Seriously, do you really feel you are an appropriate person to be
    connecting a mail system to a large, complex and hostile network of
    systems? You really need to have some idea of the fundamentals of
    internet mail before you start trying to run your own servers or mailing
    lists.

    BTW if you are running Mailman as a virtual under exim then normally you
    want things set roughly like this under exim:-
    * primary_hostname should not be set *unless* your machine does
    not know its own hostname (or the hostname does not agree with
    the DNS data for that IP)
    * local_domains may contain an @ (shorthand for $primary_hostname)
    but in general most systems to not have that. You would however
    have a list (colon separated) of the domains you accept (as a
    termination point - not a relay point) mail for. Your mailman
    domain should be listed here - but also see the Mailman howto in
    both the mailman distribution and on the exim web site.
    * Before starting your mail system up make damn sure things are
    configured appropriately for local delivery etc, otherwise you
    will lose local mail.
    * Before starting a mail server on an externally connected network
    make damn sure your ACL settings are sensible, otherwise you
    become an open relay.
    * Restart exim by sending the process a kill -HUP - ie
    kill -HUP `cat /var/run/exim.pid`
    alternatively use the system startup script to stop and restart
    it.

    Nigel.
    --
    [ Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at InTechnology.co.uk ]

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedAug 6, '03 at 5:08p
activeAug 7, '03 at 8:21a