Hello ALL,

Since this question comes up every now and then, here is my contribution.
Kindly add what you believe is needed, for the archives.

Someone more experienced can comment/edit/update this HOWTO. I just went through
the steps today and while it works for me, I am not guaranteeing it will work
for everyone.

I am running Mailman-2.1.1 on FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE (not important). I have Exim-4.20
and Apache-1.3.27.

Here is how I did it:

The installation of Apache to handle virtual hosts and the installation of Exim-4.x
to handle the same is beyond the scope of this mini-HOWTO.

#This is how to add virtual hosting to mailman.
# 20030620

STEP 1. Edit the dns zone file for the domain name to have a suitable host for
the virtual domain. The MX for this host should be mail.wananchi.com and
longonot.wananchi.com, e.g.

lists IN A 1.2.3.4
IN MX 10 mx1.domain.tld.
IN MX 20 mx2.domain.tld.

Increment the serial and then reload the zone. 1.2.3.4 here hosts Apache as
well as the MTA. I did this because I have some virtual domains who host their
own MX servers.... I therefore could override the mail handling for the list.

STEP 2:

Edit your MTAs relay maps add the FQDN you added above, e.g.
lists.domain.name.

STEP 3:

Edit your Apache config to add a virtual host for the FQDN from (2) above. In my
case I use an INCLUDE directive to incorporate a config file for VHosts alone.
My sample VHost config is:

<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName lists.domain.tld
ServerAdmin admin at domain.tld
DocumentRoot /usr/local/mailman/lists/list-name
ScriptAlias /mailman/ /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/
Alias /pipermail/ /usr/local/mailman/archives/public/
</VirtualHost>

With that I could access http://lists.domain.tld/mailman/admin/

I could not access http://lists.domain.tld/ - access was denied. Someone should
comment on the correct way for this as I am sure I missed a point.

STEP 4. COMPLETE THE FOLLOWING STEPS.
(a) Open /usr/local/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.pf for editing and append
the FQDN from (2) above to the following entry. Please follow the
format STRICTLY.

VIRTUAL_HOSTS = {'lists.domain.tld':'lists.domain.tld',
'lists.domani2.org':'lists.domain2.org',
'lists.domain3.net':'lists.domain3.net',
'FQDN':'FQDN'}

(b) Add an extra entry for the FQDN to the entries below

add_virtualhost('lists.domain.tld','lists.domain.tld')
add_virtualhost('lists.domain2..org','lists.domain2.org')
add_virtualhost('lists.domain3.net','lists.domain3.net')
add_virtualhost('FQDN','FQDN')

NB: Here again I was not quite sure I needed both steps (a) and (b), but hey
I said it works for me. Please modify this if you know what is better.

STEP 5: Run the following commands.

(a) /usr/local/mailman/bin/newlist list-name at FQDN
Answer the questions prompted carefully. Take note of the answers you give.
They will be needed later. You are warned.

(b) /usr/local/mailman/bin/withlist -l -r fix_url list-name -u FQDN -v

NB: Change the paths to reflect yours.

That is how I did it.

Comments on any suitable changes I need to make are welcome.

cheers
- wash
+----------------------------------+-----------------------------------------+
Odhiambo Washington, wash at wananchi.com . WANANCHI ONLINE LTD (Nairobi, KE) |
http://ns2.wananchi.com/~wash/ . 1ere Etage, Loita Hse, Loita St., |
GSM: (+254) 722 743 223 . # 10286, 00100 NAIROBI |
+---------------------------------+------------------------------------------+
--from a /. post

Search Discussions

  • Richard Barrett at Jun 21, 2003 at 9:14 am

    ServerAdmin admin at domain.tld
    DocumentRoot /usr/local/mailman/lists/list-name
    ScriptAlias /mailman/ /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/
    Alias /pipermail/ /usr/local/mailman/archives/public/
    </VirtualHost>

    With that I could access http://lists.domain.tld/mailman/admin/

    I could not access http://lists.domain.tld/ - access was denied. Someone
    should
    comment on the correct way for this as I am sure I missed a point.

    Probably because there is no index.html file in
    /usr/local/mailman/lists/list-name DocumentRoot (I assume listname in this
    path is a placeholder for some concrete list's name) and the files in there
    are typically not other readable and even if they were you would not want
    to publish them through your web server..

    I find your choice of DocumentRoot for the virtual host confusing as this
    is what the / URI will resolve to. If you are only publishing MM stuff
    through the virtual host then I would use a rewrite rule like this:

    RewriteRule ^(|/(|index.html|(pipermail|mailman)(|/)))$
    /mailman/listinfo [PT]

    so that any URI at or above /mailman/ or /pipermail/ gets handled as
    request for the URI /mailman/listinfo

[...]

    Richard Barrett http://www.openinfo.co.uk
  • Customer & Technical Support at Jun 22, 2003 at 3:44 am
    How can I reset the digest in version 2.0.13 to Volume 1, Number 1 and then
    later how do I increment the Volume number when I want to go to Volume 2, etc?

    Thanks,
    DB

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython