I have updated from Mailman 2.0.10 to 2.1.2 because of the international language support (on Solaris and Intel).

German Umlauts (????...) are now displayed correctly in the subject line, BUT ...
they are simply omitted in the message body - in the received mails as well as in the archive.
e.g. "Gr??e" is 'converted' to "Gre".

Did I miss an encoding option somewhere?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

--
Jean Bausch

Search Discussions

  • Bausch, Jean at Jun 12, 2003 at 10:55 am
    I have now found who swallows the Umlauts in message bodies:

    I had inserted a 'fmt -s -w 80' in the mail aliases. Unfortunately on Solaris 7 this command erases the Umlauts.

    Hence my next question:
    Is there an option in mailman 2.1.2 to autowrap the messages after 80 characters or so?

    --
    Jean Bausch
  • Ben Gertzfield at Jun 13, 2003 at 5:44 pm

    Bausch, Jean wrote:
    I have now found who swallows the Umlauts in message bodies:

    I had inserted a 'fmt -s -w 80' in the mail aliases. Unfortunately on Solaris 7 this command erases the Umlauts.
    Interesting. You can try changing that to

    LANG=de_DE fmt -s -w 80

    to make sure Solaris can handle the 8 bit characters. But this assumes
    every email you put through will be in iso-8859-1, which is increasingly
    not true in today's international world.

    If you don't specify a LANG, or specify the wrong one, fmt doesn't know
    what character set the input file is in, and if it's a multibyte
    character set (UTF-8, UTF-16, or any Japanese/Chinese/Korean character
    set) it might end up splitting a character between bytes when it inserts
    a newline. So they do the "safe" thing and strip all 8-bit characters
    when LANG is not set.
    Hence my next question:
    Is there an option in mailman 2.1.2 to autowrap the messages after 80 characters or so?
    I don't think there's really a safe way to do this. It would certainly
    screw up signatures on emails.

    All MIME emails are required to be 76 characters or less per line; you
    could write a Handler (look at Mailman/Handlers/Decorate.py for an
    example in the Mailman source code) to take any non-MIME emails and
    automatically make them a single text/plain attachment encoded with
    quoted-printable, but you'll need to be careful about character set
    issues for the UTF-8 and CJK users.

    The email.Message and email.Charset modules make this really easy; all
    the work is already done for you.

    Ben

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedJun 12, '03 at 8:24a
activeJun 13, '03 at 5:44p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Bausch, Jean: 2 posts Ben Gertzfield: 1 post