Hello,

I have posted this in the past, but not recieved a reply.

I can access all the user pages fine, to edit a user and login to change
user prefs, so I am assuming that CGI is working correctly -- Is this a
good assumption?

When I go to log in to the Administrative page, I get an error
"Authorization Failed" from mailman.

I am positive this has nothing to do with cookie settings on my browser,
I have checked it from multiple browsers, running on every platform
available -- and I checked to be sure the browsers was correctly saving
cookies, and it is b/c other sites are using them just fine.

As a test, one which i don't know if it means the right thing, I ran
cgi-bin/admin program from the command line. -- the error message is at
the bottom of this messgae -- I just ran it as my own user through the
ssh shell, so it is probably not the right user anyway... however it may
be something.

This was installed from rpm, and i did a find on my system and there is
no source installed on the system, so i'm not sure where to begin if i
need to reconfigure, ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!

<head>
<title>Mailman CGI error!!!</title>
</head><body>
<h1>Mailman CGI error!!!</h1>
The expected gid of the Mailman CGI wrapper did not match the gid as set
by the Web server.<p>The most likely cause is that Mailman was
configured and installed incorrectly. Please read the INSTALL
instructions again, paying close attention to the
<tt>--with-cgi-gid</tt> configure option. This entry is being stored in
your syslog:
<pre>
Failure to exec script. WANTED gid 48, GOT gid 501. (Reconfigure to
take 501?)</pre>

Ben Strawbridge - Senior Interface Engineer
Cenozoa Corporation
33 Little West 12th St. #106A
New York, NY 10014
http://www.cenozoa.com

Search Discussions

  • Jon Carnes at Apr 11, 2003 at 8:48 pm
    This sounds like the old authentication bug from version 2.0

    There was a setting in 2.0 where you could pick the authentication
    method used by Mailman, and in some circumstances you had to change it
    to a method that was available on your system (or upgrade your python).

    # Set to true to use the crypt module for passwords
    # instead of md5. Crypt may
    # not work on all Python installations. Don't
    # change this value once you have
    # lists running... In fact, you should just let
    # configure set this one and leave it alone.
    USE_CRYPT = 1

    The user (or member) passwords are stored in plain text, so there is no
    problem with encryption on those. the admin passwords are stored
    encrypted, and if the encryption technique used is not available then
    you will never be able to use one of the admin passwords.

    Hope this is helpful - Jon Carnes
    I have posted this in the past, but not recieved a reply.
    Can't say that anymore.
[...]

    This is a red herring. You should first "su apache" or whatever user is
    running your Webserver and then run the cgi from the command line. That
    gives you a much clearer idea of what is going on.
  • Ben strawbridge at Apr 14, 2003 at 9:13 pm
    Hi,

    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! JONC is my Mailman Saviour!

    That was a big pain to solve for such a little thing. Do you happen to
    know which version of python I would need to use in order to support
    USE_CRYPT=1.

    So, for all of you who are wondering, here is a summary of the problem
    and the solution.

    Problem - Mailman appears to work perfectly. The web site works, the
    email functions work, but the Administrative section for any mail-list
    is inaccesible, in spite of a reset mmsitepass admin password and a
    browser that is accepting cookies.

    Solution - It appears that all cgi scripts are correct, as the non-admin
    section is working, because the admin section uses crypt for the
    passwords you must have a version of python installed which supports the
    type of crypt used by mailman. To fix the problem either change the
    value of USE_CRYPT (to 0 in the file mm_cfg.py ... don't change
    Defaults.py) or you can (i guess, i didn't go this route) upgrade python
    to the version that supports the crypt that is needed by mailman.

    Ben.

[...]

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedApr 11, '03 at 4:03p
activeApr 14, '03 at 9:13p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Ben strawbridge: 2 posts Jon Carnes: 1 post