Mohamed I Yusuf MESC. CNE. A+

Law Technology Services

405-521-5138

miyusuf at okcu.edu

Search Discussions

  • Jon Carnes at Apr 7, 2003 at 5:10 pm

    On Mon, 2003-04-07 at 11:56, Yusuf, Mohamed Ismail wrote:
    Dear Mailman users,

    I am new to Linux and I can use all the help I can get. So please bear
    with me for submitting any stupid questions!

    I have successfully installed and configured server (Linux 8, Apache and
    Sendmail) I would appreciate if any of you will provide me with the
    steps (commands) required in installing and configuring Mailman from the
    CD as we hope to maintain a list server at the law school.
    "Linux 8" would that be any relation to Red Hat Linux version 8.0?
    Make sure you have all the python packages installed (including the
    development ones).

    For Mailman, your best bet is to download the latest tarball:
    http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id3

    download it to a temp directory and then expand the tarball:
    tar -xzf mailman-2.1.1.tgz

    This will create a directory called mailman/ off of the temp directory.
    Change to this directory and read the file "INSTALL" plus any number of
    the README files that apply to you (like the one for Sendmail and the
    one for Linux).

    Basically, you will have to create a user called mailman, and then
    create a group called mailman. Then run:
    ./configure --with-cgi-gid=apache
    make
    make install

    You'll have to install the crontab entries after that, but that should
    mostly do it for you.

    Good Luck and look in the FAQ for more information.
    http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=index

    Jon Carnes

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython