Mailman v.2.1.1
Postfix v.2.0.6
Python v.2.2.2

I get this error from the mail server:

<mailman at zaius.groupd.com>: Command died with status 2:
"/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post mailman". Command output:
Group
mismatch error. Mailman expected the mail wrapper script to be
executed as
group "mailman", but the system's mail server executed the mail
script as
group "nobody". Try tweaking the mail server to run the script as
group
"mailman", or re-run configure, providing the command line option
`--with-mail-gid=nobody'.
Reporting-MTA: dns; zaius.groupd.com
Arrival-Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 12:57:54 -0800 (PST)

But when I reconfigure everything to correct this, I get the same exact
error, but with "mailman" and "nobody" swapped. In other words, no
matter how I configure mailman, whether with "nobody" or "mailman", it
bounced the mail.

Also, when executing bin/mailmanctl start, I get these errors:

Starting Mailman's master qrunner.
[zaius:/usr/local/mailman] ted% Cannot import runner module
Mailman.Queue.ArchRunner
No module named _socket
Cannot import runner module Mailman.Queue.OutgoingRunner
No module named _socket
Cannot import runner moduleCannot import runner module
Mailman.Queue.NewsRunner
No module named _socket
Mailman.Queue.IncomingRunner
No module named _socket
Cannot import runner module Mailman.Queue.BounceRunner
No module named _socket
Cannot import runner module Mailman.Queue.CommandRunner
No module named _socket
Cannot import runner module Mailman.Queue.VirginRunner
No module named _socket

Can anyone help me figure out what's going on here? I'm pulling out my
hair trying to get this installation to work.

Ted Dively
*********
Group D Communications -- IT Support, Databases, Networking, Web Sites
POB 170697
San Francisco, CA 94117-0697
PH 415.401.8333 x305
FX 415.401.8334
http://www.groupd.com
mailto:ted at groupd.com

Search Discussions

  • Marilyn Davis at Mar 21, 2003 at 9:11 pm

    "/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post mailman". Command output:
    Group
    mismatch error. Mailman expected the mail wrapper script to be
    executed as
    group "mailman", but the system's mail server executed the mail
    script as
    group "nobody". Try tweaking the mail server to run the script as
    group
    "mailman", or re-run configure, providing the command line option
    `--with-mail-gid=nobody'.
    Reporting-MTA: dns; zaius.groupd.com
    Arrival-Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 12:57:54 -0800 (PST)

    But when I reconfigure everything to correct this, I get the same exact
    error, but with "mailman" and "nobody" swapped. In other words, no
    matter how I configure mailman, whether with "nobody" or "mailman", it
    bounced the mail.
    Did you do both things? You should do only one. Both the mail server
    and mailman need to run under the same group.

    I think.
    Also, when executing bin/mailmanctl start, I get these errors:

    Starting Mailman's master qrunner.
    [zaius:/usr/local/mailman] ted% Cannot import runner module
    Mailman.Queue.ArchRunner
    Hmmm. It sounds like you don't have the complete installation, but I
    don't know.

    Good luck.

    Marilyn Davis

    mailto:ted at groupd.com

    This message was sent to: marilyn at deliberate.com
    Unsubscribe or change your options at
    http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/mailman-users/marilyn%40deliberate.com
  • Ted Dively at Mar 21, 2003 at 10:58 pm

    Do what the message says, recompile with --with-mail-gid=nobody
    As my original post says, I *did* this, but I get the exact same error,
    only with "nobody" and "mailman" reversed. In other words, if I compile
    for "nobody" it says I should recompile for "mailman", but if I compile
    for "mailman" it says I should recompile for "nobody". Am I being
    clear? Man, I sure hope so.

    Ted Dively
    *********
    mailto:ted at groupd.com
  • Barry Warsaw at Mar 22, 2003 at 4:52 am

    Do what the message says, recompile with --with-mail-gid=nobody
    As my original post says, I *did* this, but I get the exact same error,
    only with "nobody" and "mailman" reversed. In other words, if I compile
    for "nobody" it says I should recompile for "mailman", but if I compile
    for "mailman" it says I should recompile for "nobody". Am I being
    clear? Man, I sure hope so.
    Are you using the aliases.db file generated by bin/genaliases? If so,
    be sure that the owner and group are mailman, and compile
    --with-mail-gid=mailman. That should be all you need to make it work.

    -Barry
  • Andre Ricardo at Mar 22, 2003 at 4:32 pm

    As my original post says, I *did* this, but I get the exact same error,
    only with "nobody" and "mailman" reversed. In other words, if I compile
    for "nobody" it says I should recompile for "mailman", but if I compile
    for "mailman" it says I should recompile for "nobody". Am I being
    clear? Man, I sure hope so.
    Ok, you tried to change the group for your postfix daemon? I run
    sendmail, and had this message, but when I compiled with the nobody flag
    it worked! So tri to put the user mailman in the nobody group, in
    /etc/group, or try to change with chgrp postfix to mailman, but remember
    the possible security issues of this action.
    Ted Dively
    *********
    mailto:ted at groupd.com

groupmailman-users @